ADVERTISEMENT

My frustration at this loss is intense but not cosmic

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
There seems to be a lot of deep seated anger on the board after the Cats’ loss to the Huskers, with almost universal vitriol around the OLine, quarterback development, offense coaching, and overall quality of the current roster. Had the Cats pulled the game out, I am pretty sure a number of the complaints being made would not be, except maybe the poor quality of the O Line.

My frustration is much less universal, and focused on an opportunity lost, and the disappointment that comes from that. What is frustrating to me is that the Cats went into a difficult place to play, with an O line that we knew, the coaches knew, the Husker coaches knew, and every sports commentator knew was overmatched, with a backup QB with limited experience and pedestrian skills who had to play behind that line, and amazingly, the coaches devised a game plan that put them in a position to win, but they lost for the most pedestrian reasons. The several plays on which the game was decided were not determined because of a difference of skill but by simple mental errors. On one play, a screen pass to Porter, the play failed because Tiernan didn’t position himself properly, despite having the time and opportunity to get there. If he’s is positioned properly, the play goes for at least 40 yards and possibly a TD. On the second down play after the long pass completion to Kirtz, Sullivan just didn’t pull the trigger. He throws the ball, and it’s a TD. After the long pass to Henning, Bajakian did not have the confidence to keep it simple, call a run at a reeling defense and settle for a FG if Nebraska responded, which I don’t think they could have. Instead, they go backward and come up empty. Execute all three, they win easily; execute 2, they win by a whisker. Execute one, and the game really does come down to a last possession. Simple errors, not cosmic ones, lost the game.
Neither team on the field was a world beater. The Cats, without their starting QB and playing an inexperienced one in a noisy venue, were facing a really difficult task. I really do have to tip my hat to the coaching staff: the Cats really were in a position to win. On the defensive side, they recognized how one dimensional the Huskers are, and exploited that limitation. I have little doubt that if Bryant had played, the Cats would have won by 2 scores or more: there were receivers open on a number of the sacks for someone quick enough to read and see them, and there were opportunities downfield Bryant would have exploited all day. It boggles my mind that even with the combination of a bad line, fast pass rush and slow reading QB that led to 8 sacks, had a few people just kept their wits about them, the Cats could have won.
In the end, give credit to the Huskers. They did what they had to, and recovered well enough from the mistakes they made to hold on and win. They had a handful of fine plays on offense that generated their 17 points. If the Cats had kept their wits about them when the game was on the line, though, I really think the game was theirs to win. That is why I am frustrated.

Great post, although I think it aligns with a lot of what everyone is saying here. We were in a position to win not because the offensive gameplan was sound, but because the D played awesome. The offensive gameplan was reasonable for stretches, and uninterpretable for stretches because the play didn't last long enough before the sack to determine what we were trying to do, or was stopped by presnap penalties. In the end it came down to the same systemic problems that we were all complaining about specifically in this game:

Poor QB development, meaning Sullivan is our second string but he is the "first string" of QBs that we actually recruited and developed out of HS. Coming out of last season Sullivan was going to be QB1 if we didn't convince Bryant to come here.

Poor OL development: This encompasses all aspects of strength, individual technique, performing as a unit, missing assignments, mental errors (penalties). I would include TEs in this as they are mostly extra blockers in this offense. We had not only a cut block on a TE but I believe an OFFENSIVE facemask on a TE as well ?! And the presnap penalties at the absolute most drive killing times. They are making individual mistakes but when everyone is doing it, it means the coaches have not recruited well, are not teaching well or both.

Certainly discouraging in that if we don't make an illegal cut block we'd have at least another FG. If Tiernan doesn't whiff on the screen then we get 40 yards and probably at least another FG. If Sullivan doesn't inexplicably fail to at least try a low risk throw to the wide open TE, we'd have a TD. Game over.

The last couple years the defense has been so bad that the terrible offensive play hasn't been as consequential since we got blown out anyway. It's when we are actually given many chances to win a winnable B1G game by the defense that this all encompassing display of offensive ineptitude actually was THE deciding factor in the game.

Great post, although I think it aligns with a lot of what everyone is saying here. We were in a position to win not because the offensive gameplan was sound, but because the D played awesome. The offensive gameplan was reasonable for stretches, and uninterpretable for stretches because the play didn't last long enough before the sack to determine what we were trying to do, or was stopped by presnap penalties. In the end it came down to the same systemic problems that we were all complaining about specifically in this game:

Poor QB development, meaning Sullivan is our second string but he is the "first string" of QBs that we actually recruited and developed out of HS. Coming out of last season Sullivan was going to be QB1 if we didn't convince Bryant to come here.

Poor OL development: This encompasses all aspects of strength, individual technique, performing as a unit, missing assignments, mental errors (penalties). I would include TEs in this as they are mostly extra blockers in this offense. We had not only a cut block on a TE but I believe an OFFENSIVE facemask on a TE as well ?! And the presnap penalties at the absolute most drive killing times. They are making individual mistakes but when everyone is doing it, it means the coaches have not recruited well, are not teaching well or both.

Certainly discouraging in that if we don't make an illegal cut block we'd have at least another FG. If Tiernan doesn't whiff on the screen then we get 40 yards and probably at least another FG. If Sullivan doesn't inexplicably fail to at least try a low risk throw to the wide open TE, we'd have a TD. Game over.

The last couple years the defense has been so bad that the terrible offensive play hasn't been as consequential since we got blown out anyway. It's when we are actually given many chances to win a winnable B1G game by the defense that this all encompassing display of offensive ineptitude actually was THE deciding factor in the game.
I disagree about the terrible offensive play not being consequential. Our offense was actually worse by many metrics. If our offense weren’t abysmal in addition to our defense being abysmal we wouldn’t have gotten blown out. There are plenty of teams with sub par defenses that end up being in games because of their offense.

Look at our 2005 team. Top 35 offense; 108th in team defense.

I disagree about the terrible offensive play not being consequential. Our offense was actually worse by many metrics. If our offense weren’t abysmal in addition to our defense being abysmal we wouldn’t have gotten blown out. There are plenty of teams with sub par defenses that end up being in games because of their offense.

Look at our 2005 team. Top 35 offense; 108th in team defense.
I understand, I shouldn't have said inconsequential because clearly it was. If we had a top 50 offense we would've won some more games. We still wouldn't have been in a lot of games with that defense. But for offense to be so clearly the cause of a loss due to across the board failures, that is more glaring. It wasn't just physical talent, it was also technique, it was also mental errors, etc.

Sullivan may be "2nd string" but he's in his 3rd year in the program, has started like 4-5 games has 150 career attempts. He Is no raw rookie

I don't think any QB could have won with yesterdays OL play. Sully was running for his life whenever Nebraska blitzed, which they started to do more and more as the game went on. It's like a lightbulb went bright over the Nebraska coaches heads - hey, this blitzing works - and they started to really shut us down.

I don't think any QB could have won with yesterdays OL play. Sully was running for his life whenever Nebraska blitzed, which they started to do more and more as the game went on. It's like a lightbulb went bright over the Nebraska coaches heads - hey, this blitzing works - and they started to really shut us down.
The issue with Sully, it seems, is that he has to stare down a wide-open wide receiver in order to feel comfortable throwing the ball. This trait is often what separates the good college quarterbacks from the mediocre to bad ones. Good QBs anticipate the route, anticipate the coverage and throw to where the holes should be. Bad ones, like Sully, don't seem to be able to do that. It explains why some QBs who have all the physical tools in the world, still struggle mightily. Playing QB very much requires a strong mental understanding of how to play the position. We have struggled to get a QB to grasp the mental side (ironically, as we are a braniac school). I would argue this was even Clayton's biggest weakness. He never really seemed like he mastered the mental side of the game despite starting for four years. He seemed to always need to see a wide open receiver.

The exciting thing about Bryant this year is that he seems to come in with some of those traits already. That tying touchdown against Minnesota was a great example of this. He recognized the coverage and also knew where his receiver was going to be. That allowed him to look off the safety and then come back and immediately throw to a spot on the field where his receiver ended up. He didn't need to see the receiver get open. He anticipated it. If you wait to see the receiver break open as a QB, it is too late. I can't think of another NU quarterback in the last 8 years who would make that play. Maybe Ramsey, but I'm not sure. It is an indictment on our coaching staff and program that we are unable to recruit and/or develop this, though I guess some credit is due in getting Bryant here. But I'd argue we didn't teach him this.

The issue with Sully, it seems, is that he has to stare down a wide-open wide receiver in order to feel comfortable throwing the ball. This trait is often what separates the good college quarterbacks from the mediocre to bad ones. Good QBs anticipate the route, anticipate the coverage and throw to where the holes should be. Bad ones, like Sully, don't seem to be able to do that. It explains why some QBs who have all the physical tools in the world, still struggle mightily. Playing QB very much requires a strong mental understanding of how to play the position. We have struggled to get a QB to grasp the mental side (ironically, as we are a braniac school). I would argue this was even Clayton's biggest weakness. He never really seemed like he mastered the mental side of the game despite starting for four years. He seemed to always need to see a wide open receiver.

The exciting thing about Bryant this year is that he seems to come in with some of those traits already. That tying touchdown against Minnesota was a great example of this. He recognized the coverage and also knew where his receiver was going to be. That allowed him to look off the safety and then come back and immediately throw to a spot on the field where his receiver ended up. He didn't need to see the receiver get open. He anticipated it. If you wait to see the receiver break open as a QB, it is too late. I can't think of another NU quarterback in the last 8 years who would make that play. Maybe Ramsey, but I'm not sure. It is an indictment on our coaching staff and program that we are unable to recruit and/or develop this, though I guess some credit is due in getting Bryant here. But I'd argue we didn't teach him this.

Great post Mr. Hyde.

To be fair, Bryant has had one outstanding quartet of football and 3 gritty quarters against PSU. That said, he'd have probably hit the open tight end, and possibly gotten a score when we got the INT at the 10. Maybe not, idk. He is far from perfect and I was clamoring for Sully early in the year. I was wrong

To be fair, Bryant has had one outstanding quartet of football and 3 gritty quarters against PSU. That said, he'd have probably hit the open tight end, and possibly gotten a score when we got the INT at the 10. Maybe not, idk. He is far from perfect and I was clamoring for Sully early in the year. I was wrong
It’s obvious to see that Bryant’s much quicker with his decision making and just sees the field better. With this offensive line having those traits are critical.

It’s obvious to see that Bryant’s much quicker with his decision making and just sees the field better. With this offensive line having those traits are critical.
Much more critical than the very marginal increase in mobility with Sullivan. He really did not "make any plays happen" with his feet. I think Bryant has done more with his feet this season than Sullivan.

This team is competently bad, which is better than the comically bad alternative of recent years.

A decent team would have beaten Nebraska, but NU is not there yet. But they defended the run better than I expected, and they actually took the ball away when there was the opportunity, and Coco got in at least two whacks.

NU got beaten on the one long touchdown play, but, frankly, 17 points allowed and two turnovers should be enough to win in 2023.

The special teams were good except for Henning’s misplay on a huge punt, and maybe there was an opponent return worth something.

NU managed three field goals in the red zone, and got a missed field goal when they penetrated to the 22 then self-destructed. But that’s the unit that’s led by a bunch of holdovers from the old regime, and it looks it. The holdover unit is bad.

Really promising that two units have seen significant improvement to ‘watchable’ (defense) and ‘not bad’ (special teams).

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
Agreed. I was hopeful that Sully's better mobility would let him escape better, but, alas, I was also wrong about that. Scary to think Sullivan is probably the best QB signed since Thorson, and that he will probably start next year. People improve, and any QB does better with good protection

Agreed. I was hopeful that Sully's better mobility would let him escape better, but, alas, I was also wrong about that. Scary to think Sullivan is probably the best QB signed since Thorson, and that he will probably start next year. People improve, and any QB does better with good protection
I think based on his play this year, the next coaching staff will need to hit the transfer portal yet again for the starting QB. NU may want consider a head coach who can bring his team (as a step up) rather than an assistant coach from a bigger program. This roster is gonna turn over, one way or another, before next season.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I think based on his play this year, the next coaching staff will need to hit the transfer portal yet again for the starting QB. NU may want consider a head coach who can bring his team (as a step up) rather than an assistant coach from a bigger program. This roster is gonna turn over, one way or another, before next season.

The issue there, as it often is, is Admissions’ willingness to let that kind of transfer inflow happen.

There seems to be a lot of deep seated anger on the board after the Cats’ loss to the Huskers, with almost universal vitriol around the OLine, quarterback development, offense coaching, and overall quality of the current roster. Had the Cats pulled the game out, I am pretty sure a number of the complaints being made would not be, except maybe the poor quality of the O Line.

My frustration is much less universal, and focused on an opportunity lost, and the disappointment that comes from that. What is frustrating to me is that the Cats went into a difficult place to play, with an O line that we knew, the coaches knew, the Husker coaches knew, and every sports commentator knew was overmatched, with a backup QB with limited experience and pedestrian skills who had to play behind that line, and amazingly, the coaches devised a game plan that put them in a position to win, but they lost for the most pedestrian reasons. The several plays on which the game was decided were not determined because of a difference of skill but by simple mental errors. On one play, a screen pass to Porter, the play failed because Tiernan didn’t position himself properly, despite having the time and opportunity to get there. If he’s is positioned properly, the play goes for at least 40 yards and possibly a TD. On the second down play after the long pass completion to Kirtz, Sullivan just didn’t pull the trigger. He throws the ball, and it’s a TD. After the long pass to Henning, Bajakian did not have the confidence to keep it simple, call a run at a reeling defense and settle for a FG if Nebraska responded, which I don’t think they could have. Instead, they go backward and come up empty. Execute all three, they win easily; execute 2, they win by a whisker. Execute one, and the game really does come down to a last possession. Simple errors, not cosmic ones, lost the game.
Neither team on the field was a world beater. The Cats, without their starting QB and playing an inexperienced one in a noisy venue, were facing a really difficult task. I really do have to tip my hat to the coaching staff: the Cats really were in a position to win. On the defensive side, they recognized how one dimensional the Huskers are, and exploited that limitation. I have little doubt that if Bryant had played, the Cats would have won by 2 scores or more: there were receivers open on a number of the sacks for someone quick enough to read and see them, and there were opportunities downfield Bryant would have exploited all day. It boggles my mind that even with the combination of a bad line, fast pass rush and slow reading QB that led to 8 sacks, had a few people just kept their wits about them, the Cats could have won.
In the end, give credit to the Huskers. They did what they had to, and recovered well enough from the mistakes they made to hold on and win. They had a handful of fine plays on offense that generated their 17 points. If the Cats had kept their wits about them when the game was on the line, though, I really think the game was theirs to win. That is why I am frustrated.
Seemed we had a lot of penalties as well. And at critical times

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

I think that they were were something like 8 penalties on the OL (including TEs) 4 proceedure penalties 2 holds and two PFs. Those were killers

One of the problems is we have not had anyone play enough to get comfortable. HJ, Hillinsky, Sullivan, in the last couple years, Poor play and injuries have reeked havoc. Bryant had something like 30 some games under his belt by the time he got here but now he is dinged up as well.

One of the problems is we have not had anyone play enough to get comfortable. HJ, Hillinsky, Sullivan, in the last couple years, Poor play and injuries have reeked havoc. Bryant had something like 30 some games under his belt by the time he got here but now he is dinged up as well.
True, but I bet Clayton couldn't make that throw the way Bryant did in the Minny game. Clayton occasionally would pump fake to a receiver, and then follow that same receiver with his eyes and throw to him on the secondary break. I don't remember him ever pump faking away and then immediately throwing to someone else. But... my memory is far from perfect.

Reactions: NUCat320
love post title...makes me want to listen to the Strawberry ALarm Clock.....but that being said I have enjoyed this season way more than I anticipated...For me being a fan is about rooting for the Cats...win or loose...pain or joy...the only exception is if someone is dogging it. ...this team plays hard.. that is all I feel they owe me....but if we could beat Iowa and I could take that smug smile off my son-in-laws face......might be extra happy

love post title...makes me want to listen to the Strawberry ALarm Clock.....but that being said I have enjoyed this season way more than I anticipated...For me being a fan is about rooting for the Cats...win or loose...pain or joy...the only exception is if someone is dogging it. ...this team plays hard.. that is all I feel they owe me....but if we could beat Iowa and I could take that smug smile off my son-in-laws face......might be extra happy
Why would anyone that roots for Iowa have a smug smile on their face?

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT