ADVERTISEMENT

JVZ to NU!!!!

Re: Answer your question with a question, Bob

Have you seen him play?

I watched his game against Oak Hill, and the kid is a center. He only plays on the blocks in high school, and has a Big 10 body. He isn't going to score much initially but will take up space and rebound.

Actually, I was asking if you did not believe that Pardon was recruited to be a C. I think vZ was recruited to be a 4. Same deal, I can see time at the 5, but I think he will be our starting 4 until Falzon wrestles that position away. Based on the progression of normal frosh, I don't see that before B1G play. And if Falzon ever earns the starting 4 slot, then I think we have a really solid player in the mix with Mac.

And supposedly he has a large wingspan. At 6-8 he's not that tall for a center, but long arms will make up for a lack of height.

"My hunch is that he's much better than Kreisberg but not as good as Swopshire."

Me too Glades. I'm seeing a quality sub at the 4 or 5, potentially more if he works hard and buys into Collins' method.

Swop was an outstanding get for the 'Cats. Jared had the pedigree too - he was starting as a sophmore for Louisville until an injury and ridiculously good recruiting eventually sent him to the bench. When Swop was here, he was the ultimate "glue guy". Once he went down for the year, the squad '12-'13 was toast. While I'm quite happy JVZ is headed to Evanston and I think he'll be a great asset for the program, his numbers aren't overly impressive (I get his minutes were limited, but VT was really terrible). Look what happened to Anthony Lee (grad transfer to Ohio State). 13 points, 8 rebounds guy for Temple to a 3 & 2 this year. It's taken him some time to figure out his role in Matta's system and is now starting to come around. Collins likes to use stretch 4s and already has a better low post option in Olah. It might take some time for Joey to find his place here too.

I'm excited to see Van Zegern play and I think he'll be a valuable piece in what (hopefully) will be at least a NIT caliber squad. I'm just not convinced he'll automatically be anointed the starting 4, especially if Falzon comes in as polished as BMac or Taphorn continues to improve at his current rate.

This post was edited on 2/25 3:28 PM by ColumbusCatFan1

And don't forget Skelly.

But I think vZ does get the 4 start but could lose it to matchup or development. If Falzon starts over vZ, Skelly and Taphorn - it can only mean very good things. I see vZ and Skelly as interchangeable and Falzon and Tap as similiar. If Falzon earns minutes, I would expect it to come at Taphorn's expense.

I see vZ and Skelly as manning the PF and backing up the C. If we want to go small, I suspect both are more nimble than Olah.

Originally posted by EvanstonCat:
I would bet anyone that JVZ is our starting PF next year. First of all, he's not a natural 5. He may end up playing 5 to spell Olah at times, but that's not going to be his main role. No one on the current roster or incoming frosh has his skills and experience. This is no Jermiah Kreisburg. Probably more of a Jared Swopshire, except with more skills and size and production, though from a far weaker program.

Who would you play over him? An undersized Lumpkin or Law (both of whom will end up at the 3 next year, where they belong). A Skelly who has not produced as is not as physically mature? Taphorn who can't even start now? A true frosh in Falzon - maybe - if he's even better than advertised, but I doubt he's going to beat out a 5th year guy who was productive in the ACC.

My bigger concern is what did he get dismissed from VaTech for? Is there an issue there that is going to be negative for the team moving forward? Are things going to be different with Collins at the helm?
While JVZ will likely play some PF and maybe even start some games at that position, I'm willing to bet that he does not see starter minutes at the 4 and will play the 5 a good bit (possibly allowing CC to switch things up and play man D).

And while JVZ has more size than Swop, I disagree w/ your assertion that he has more skills.

Swop could shoot the 3; JVZ can't shoot the 3 and has, in fact, only attempted a couple in his career at VT (not making any).

JVZ makes his living in the paint and he is by no means the kind of stretch-4 that CC prefers (Skelly is more of a stretch-4).

And w/ JVZ's FT %, I doubt we see him too much at the end in tight games (where hitting FTs is very impt.).

JVZ adds size/length and experience in the paint which the 'Cats needed, but there's a reason why he has seen diminished play time at VT despite his size/athleticism.

Originally posted by hdhntr1:
You RS in BB for the same reason you do in FB, For example, Bigs typically take longer to develop. The result is that they are often helped by having a RS year. Imagine what Olah would be like as a SR had he been able to RS instead of having to play as a FROSH because of need. Other reasons are that you cannot get the kid minutes to play because you have a logjam at his position. Wisc, for example, RSs quite a few. In years past, they did it a lot with centers to very good result. Even guards. Did you realize that Gassar was RS even though he is not listed as such?
This.

Pardon should be a lot better in yr 5 than yr 1 and w/ JVZ (and maybe Skelly in a pinch) there is no need to use Pardon's eligibility (Hearn should have had another yr and imagine if Demps had 2 more yrs?).

If it were necessary, think Pardon could play some as a frosh, but would he bring anything more to the 5 spot than what JVZ could bring (or even Skelly playing out of position w/ a yr under his belt)?

Re: I wonder what this means for 3s and 4s next year

Originally posted by Sec.112:
And no, I'm not talking about him transferring.

However, thankfully for once, things are getting somewhat crowded at the 4 and 5 - at least for next year. I assume JVZ backs up Olah. Then things become pretty crowded at the 4 with Skelly, Pardon and Falzon. That's going to be a great battle to watch.

Yes, I've left out Lumpkin. I think Lumpkin will be kicked to the 3, a more appropriate spot. But then he, Law and Taphorn will battle for time with Lindsey also able to spend a bit of time at the 3.

It's an interesting problem to have.
Pardon is a back-to-the-basket player and not really suited for what CC is looking for at the 4-spot.

And if CC is looking for more of an inside presence (size and rbding) at the 4 spot - JVZ and Skelly would be able to provide it.

In another thread - I had stated that Lumpkin would be switched to the 3 spot, but after the IU game, I'm rethinking that.

While I still think Lumpkin will play most of his time at the 3 - depending on the match-ups (teams w/ quick shooters like IU), CC will continue to use both Law and Lumpkin together as his dual-wings.

This leaves CC w/ a lot more possible combos (a good problem to have, but can get to be a bit much as well).

3 - Law, Lumpkin, Taphorn, Lindsey
4 - JVZ, Skelly, Lumpkin, Tap, Falzon (if Falzon is the real deal, he's going to be seeing some good minutes)

Quite the jumble at the 4 spot - which is why I'm inclined to think that JVZ spends more time at the 5 (when CC wants to go to faster, more athletic line-up).

This post was edited on 2/28 2:54 AM by Katatonic

We shall see.

One thing that isn't going to happen. Now that we have actual bigs, Law and Lumpkin are not going to play a minute at the 4. The only reason Lumpkin's played at the 4 is because we were woefully thin on the roster with our bigs. That's been fixed.

JvZ will play big, 4 or 5, whatever. Law and Lumpkin will play in their natural position which is the 3.

Previously, I had stated that Lumpkin will be switched to the 3 spot now that CC will have the combo of bigger bodies (w/ experience) and stretch-4 type of players in Falzon and Tap (assuming that Tap gets even bigger and stronger), but I reassesses that after the IU game and think that we'll still see Lumpkin play some at the 4-spot.

CC pointed out the job that the wings (Lumpkin and Law) had done on rotating out to the perimeter shooter in the 2nd half - and bigs like Skelly, Falzon JVZ don't have that kind of quicks.

So against teams playing a smaller lineup full of shooters (IU this season or think the typical Villanova team), we'll be seeing Law and Lumpkin playing alongside each other.

The thing w/ this team is that almost everyone (save Olah and Vassar) on the team can play at least 2 positions, so CC will have tons of options/flexibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT