ADVERTISEMENT

Kafka returns to NU as a GA

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Welcome back to good ol' No. 13.

From NUSports.com...

Northwestern Adds Three Graduate Assistants To Football Staff

EVANSTON, Ill. – Tim Brandon, Mike Kafka and Steve Pursley have joined the Northwestern Wildcats staff as graduate assistant coaches, Dan & Susan Jones Family Head Football Coach Pat Fitzgerald announced on Tuesday, the first day of the spring academic quarter.

Brandon spent the last year as the wide receivers coach and video coordinator at the Colorado School of Mines. He spent three seasons as a student assistant for the offensive coaching staff at the University of Wyoming, where he earned a degree in business administration, before one year as an offensive assistant at Regis Jesuit High School in Aurora, Colorado. Brandon will work with the Wildcats' offensive staff with a focus on the offensive line.

Kafka spent the last six years in the National Football League after being selected in the fourth-round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles. During a four-year Wildcats career (2006-09) he set single-game records for both passing yards (532 vs. Auburn, 2010) and rushing yards by a quarterback (217 vs. Minnesota, 2008), and his 3,725 yards of total offense as a senior in 2009 stands as the No. 2 season in program history. A product of Chicago’s St. Rita High School, Kafka earned a degree in communication studies from Northwestern. He will work with the Wildcats' offensive staff with a focus on wide receivers.

Pursley joined the Northwestern staff in March of 2015 as a special teams quality control assistant, with responsibilities that included film breakdown and opponent scouting. He previously worked as a remote scouting assistant for the Cleveland Browns and as a graduate assistant for recruiting and personnel at the University of Alabama. Pursley earned a degree in english literature from Arizona State University and will work with the Wildcats' defensive staff with a focus on the defensive line.

Northwestern will host a public practice at Ryan Field at 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 2, followed by a free youth clinic for players in grade-8-and-under. After a record 10-win season last year, the Wildcats open the 2016 campaign on Saturday, September 3, when they welcome Western Michigan to Evanston.

He (Kafka) will work with the Wildcats' offensive staff with a focus on wide receivers.

Hopefully Kafka spends a lot of time with the QB's as he does with the WR's.

Always like it when one of our own comes home
Not just one of our own, but one with 6 years of NFL experience at QB. He and Mick are going to be good together. I like the focus on OL and WR, even if only through grad. assts. Welcome back, Mike.

This is a fantastic hire for the Cats! Mike understands a running and throwing QB. Let's hope that he can coach as well as he could play! Go Mike!

Yes but I really like the idea of him working with the WRs. Hopefully he will bring his sense of timing between QB and receiver to the offense.

Yes but I really like the idea of him working with the WRs. Hopefully he will bring his sense of timing between QB and receiver to the offense.
Mike played WR at St.Rita until his senior season. If allowed by Fitz and company he will help the passing game.

Last edited:
Don't you know? Fitz will want to make sure the receivers continue to run poor routes and drop passes.
Its really one of the few things I question about his coaching.. but what do I know?

I bet he brings an automatic tennis ball machine with him.

Don't you know? Fitz will want to make sure the receivers continue to run poor routes and drop passes.
Well whoever has been in charge of the passing offense these past couple of years sure has been a failure. Maybe NU needs a passing coordinator/QB coach on the staff.

I believe he's saying that if the measure of Kafka's "expertise" in coaching WRs is that he played WR in high school, all the WRs currently on the roster would have more of said "expertise" given that they've played WR in the B1G.

Mike clearly has more football experience than that and probably can contribute in a multitude of ways, but that's a fair point.

I believe he's saying that if the measure of Kafka's "expertise" in coaching WRs is that he played WR in high school, all the WRs currently on the roster would have more of said "expertise" given that they've played WR in the B1G.

Mike clearly has more football experience than that and probably can contribute in a multitude of ways, but that's a fair point.
Also a fair point is that none of our WR's played in the NFL or QB and WR in high school, although some of them might have. Why do you think Yates is not been moved to WR? QB depth? Hands?

I bet he brings an automatic tennis ball machine with him.
images

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT