ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly PAT miscalculations continue

Catreporter

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2007
Shades of last year's NU-ND game tonight. Notre Dame scores early in the 4th quarter to make it 21-9 Clemson. He goes for a two point conversion (blowing a timeout in the process) and misses. Clemson then kicks a field goal. It's 24-9. Instead of two tds and two PAT kicks, he now needs a two PT conversion to tie it. And sure enough, the Irish get those two TDs (last one with 07 left) but the two point conversion fails and they don't get to OT.

Yep, I mentioned this in the other thread. Stupid play call, and inexplicable. I don't mind seeing it, though, especially in our game, when it helped us later tie the game and force OT.

If I recall correctly, getting two points was actually more valuable than getting just one at that point in the game with an assumption that Clemson would be able to get a field goal. Two points would have equalized the effect of a field goal while just one point would not.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, getting two points was actually more valuable than getting just one at that point in the game with an assumption that Clemson would be able to get a field goal. Two points would have equalized the effect of a field goal while just one point would not.

I don't see how that works if it was as Catreporter describes. Down 21-9, it doesn't make sense not to kick. You get the point in hand and go for the two-pointer later if you have to.

I don't see how that works if it was as Catreporter describes. Down 21-9, it doesn't make sense not to kick. You get the point in hand and go for the two-pointer later if you have to.
Yes , there is something about the urgency later in the game that tips the scales.

Yes , there is something about the urgency later in the game that tips the scales.

He must have a mindset that he is not going for the tie but rather the win. I think you have to play to keep the game going and believe you can win in OT.

This is correct. The TD made it 21-9. Kick the extra point, make it a 11 point game, which means possibly a FG and TD (with 2-point conversion) to tie. Not converting there made it a two TD game at that point. Yes, Clemson then kicked a FG, but that made it a 15 point game, not a 14 point game as would have been the case with the extra point. That, of course, came back to haunt ND in the end.

I don't see any logical reason for Kelly making that decision. Perhaps he simply wanted to get closer to Clemson in terms of the score at that point. Or maybe he thought it would provide additional momentum. But it backfired, of course.

This is correct. The TD made it 21-9. Kick the extra point, make it a 11 point game, which means possibly a FG and TD (with 2-point conversion) to tie. Not converting there made it a two TD game at that point. Yes, Clemson then kicked a FG, but that made it a 15 point game, not a 14 point game as would have been the case with the extra point. That, of course, came back to haunt ND in the end.

I don't see any logical reason for Kelly making that decision. Perhaps he simply wanted to get closer to Clemson in terms of the score at that point. Or maybe he thought it would provide additional momentum. But it backfired, of course.
Momentum is so important. Missing a two pt. conversion cancels out the momentum of the TD more than making it adds to the momentum. IMO

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Momentum is so important. Missing a two pt. conversion cancels out the momentum of the TD more than making it adds to the momentum. IMO

And more importantly, it keeps them farther behind Clemson in terms of score. I know we all remember it, but in their game against us last year, Kelly went for two in the four quarter in another situation where it was unwarranted. Maybe he thought it would "put us away", but they failed the conversion, we got back within 8 points, they fumbled at the end, we scored a TD, and then we ourselves made the two-point conversion to force OT. If he had simply kicked the extra point, they likely would have won that game. Not that I'm complaining...

And more importantly, it keeps them farther behind Clemson in terms of score. I know we all remember it, but in their game against us last year, Kelly went for two in the four quarter in another situation where it was unwarranted. Maybe he thought it would "put us away", but they failed the conversion, we got back within 8 points, they fumbled at the end, we scored a TD, and then we ourselves made the two-point conversion to force OT. If he had simply kicked the extra point, they likely would have won that game. Not that I'm complaining...
Yup, that's what I was referring to in the title of the post. By the way, how are those wins against Texas (UGH), GTECH (lost again yesterday at home to UNC), Virginia and UMass looking right now? Irish should drop below us this week. Will that happen?

Shades of last year's NU-ND game tonight. Notre Dame scores early in the 4th quarter to make it 21-9 Clemson. He goes for a two point conversion (blowing a timeout in the process) and misses. Clemson then kicks a field goal. It's 24-9. Instead of two tds and two PAT kicks, he now needs a two PT conversion to tie it. And sure enough, the Irish get those two TDs (last one with 07 left) but the two point conversion fails and they don't get to OT.
It should not have been that close. The Clemson D seemed to have brain cramps and let those underneath passes not only get completed but the RAC was unbelievable. Still while the 2 pt conversion would have been worhwhile, they still needed another TD and you put off that 2 pt conversion attempt till later. I was happy to seen it because I really dislike ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT