ADVERTISEMENT

Lakefront weather

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
In terms of air temp (not wind/rain) the Oct games may not be that cold due to "higher near the lake" phenomenon. Inland temp might be 40 but the lake will still be in the 50s.

Dense fog would be cool.

I wouldn’t worry about it. The last home game is October 19. Average high that day in Chicago is 62, low is 46. Sounds like perfect football weather to me.

Reactions: ricko654321
I'm not worried at all, I mean name a team that plays lake or ocean side. That's pretty cool and totally unique. If NU wins, mostly, that will draw a lot of attention.

Reactions: ricko654321
I was up in Kenosha last week at lovely Carthage College which is right on Lake Michigan, its Art Keller Field just a smidge further from the water than NU will be playing and therefore a reasonable proxy.

Bad news, fellows. Over the past three years the Firebirds are 3-12 at home.

Fortunately the ‘Cats do not have to face North Central College which has defeated Carthage three times at Art Keller during this span by a combined score of 193-20.

I was up in Kenosha last week at lovely Carthage College which is right on Lake Michigan, its Art Keller Field just a smidge further from the water than NU will be playing and therefore a reasonable proxy.

Fortunately the ‘Cats do not have to face North Central College which has defeated Carthage three times at Art Keller during this span by a combined score of 193-20.
We do have to play Duke though…

I'm not worried at all, I mean name a team that plays lake or ocean side. That's pretty cool and totally unique. If NU wins, mostly, that will draw a lot of attention.
We will literally play one of said teams at their place this season lol.

Reactions: SimpsonElmwood

Based on my Google Maps measurement, our lakeside field sideline is 115 ft from Lake Michigan at its closest point while the Carthage field is 680 feet. It will be crazy close for some unique TV shots.

UW Husky stadium - 530 ft
UT Neyland stadium - 530 ft
Baylor McLane stadium - 420 ft
Those are the other P4 stadiums I can think of that are associated with water views on TV. MSU is close to a small river as are some others but I don’t really count those.

So our sideline will be a whole football field closer to the water (as well as being almost totally open) than anyone else.

Based on my Google Maps measurement, our lakeside field sideline is 115 ft from Lake Michigan at its closest point while the Carthage field is 680 feet. It will be crazy close for some unique TV shots.

UW Husky stadium - 530 ft
UT Neyland stadium - 530 ft
Baylor McLane stadium - 420 ft
Those are the other P4 stadiums I can think of that are associated with water views on TV. MSU is close to a small river as are some others but I don’t really count those.

So our sideline will be a whole football field closer to the water (as well as being almost totally open) than anyone else.
Darn those night games.

Oh, that's right Husky Stadium is almost on a lake. Wisconsin is almost on a lake. NU temporary stadium IS on a lake, almost in the lake.
Husky Stadium definitely counts as being on a lake. There’s boat parking and the stadium is less than 500 feet from the waterline.

I know we are talking about 50 feet for our temp stadium but still.

I'm not too concerned about the temperature for games at Martin Stadium. As others have said, the weather on the lakefront is often lovely in September and October. I will say that I was tossing a football at the beach this weekend- a beach within sight of Martin Stadium- and passing could definitely be a challenge.

Reactions: Hkjb
I'm not too concerned about the temperature for games at Martin Stadium. As others have said, the weather on the lakefront is often lovely in September and October. I will say that I was tossing a football at the beach this weekend- a beach within sight of Martin Stadium- and passing could definitely be a challenge.
I'm hoping for some wild wind, along with some offensive innovation that takes unique advantage of it.

Reactions: pschatz25
The football field is so close to the lake a light drizzle may cause the field to flood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT