ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Scott out as Pac-12 Commish

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
No big surprise here I guess, but his ouster and the state of the Pac-12 is a bone-chilling reminder of the importance of an effective commissioner. Desperately hopeful the Big Ten made the right choice with Kevin Warren.

Interesting names being floated in the Twitterverse for his replacement:
* Oliver Luck, coming fresh off his stint as XFL commish which has ended with a firing and litigation
* Gene Smith from Ohio State. What?
* Bernard Muir from Stanford (seems to be make the most logical sense on paper)
* Gloria Nevarez (current West Coast Conf. Commish)
* The Clemson president, whose name escapes me but was apparently a finalist for ACC commish before they discovered what we already knew (Phillips is a slam dunk)
* Burke Magnus, ESPN exec and lifetime winner of "coolest name for a television executive" award

I think it will be most interesting to see what they prioritize in their search - tv exec with negotiating experience? Grizzled vet in college athletics who knows the personalities and has street cred? Rising star who will stay in the position for life, a la Delany?

No big surprise here I guess, but his ouster and the state of the Pac-12 is a bone-chilling reminder of the importance of an effective commissioner. Desperately hopeful the Big Ten made the right choice with Kevin Warren.

Interesting names being floated in the Twitterverse for his replacement:
* Oliver Luck, coming fresh off his stint as XFL commish which has ended with a firing and litigation
* Gene Smith from Ohio State. What?
* Bernard Muir from Stanford (seems to be make the most logical sense on paper)
* Gloria Nevarez (current West Coast Conf. Commish)
* The Clemson president, whose name escapes me but was apparently a finalist for ACC commish before they discovered what we already knew (Phillips is a slam dunk)
* Burke Magnus, ESPN exec and lifetime winner of "coolest name for a television executive" award

I think it will be most interesting to see what they prioritize in their search - tv exec with negotiating experience? Grizzled vet in college athletics who knows the personalities and has street cred? Rising star who will stay in the position for life, a la Delany?

Nevarez.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT