ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas Bowl TV ratings?

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
I figure our game did pretty well given it was close, on ABC and didn’t really have a ton of traditional competition (NFL game was on streaming only). Anyone know when the ratings come out though? Will be interesting to see.

Totally agree, NJCatsfan. That’s a good number especially with a lot of people presumably watching at a single households during Christmas celebrations. Not to mention streaming.

Reactions: drewjin
2.49M, highest-rated pre-Christmas bowl but will be dwarfed in the ratings by a lot of games this week.
That’s about 1/2 of our Citrus Bowl win vs. Auburn and about 1/3 of our Big 10 Championship loss to Ohio State in 2018. Much lower than the Ireland game and 2020 win vs. Wisconsin, too. I’m really surprised that it’s 2 million less than our Kentucky win in Music City.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: drewjin and PZAZ
That’s about 1/2 of our Citrus Bowl win vs. Auburn and about 1/3 of our Big 10 Championship loss to Ohio State in 2018. Much lower than the Ireland game and 2020 win vs. Wisconsin, too. I’m really surprised that it’s 2 million less than our Kentucky win in Music City.
What about prev Utah win on NFL network?

Bowl viewership picks up in the 3rd week as you get past Christmas; the pre-Christmas games are always a fair bit lower due to travel/shopping/get togethers/etc. and people generally just not yet into watching bowl games.

Music City traditionally has a nice timeslot between Christmas and NYE.

Also could argue that ours was the highest profile pre-Christmas game, with the SEC/Big Ten not playing much before that takes the biggest casual fanbases off the table. Most pre-Christmas bowl games feature at least one G5 team, so Vegas is a bit of a unique situation where it's the rare "higher quality" bowl game before Christmas.

(as long as you avoid New Year's Eve; that can typically cut ratings fairly heavily except for CFP games).

What about prev Utah win on NFL network?

That actually drew a solid 1.8 million on FS1 despite being on New Year's Eve. The fact that we made a good game of it probably helped in the 2nd half.

It also helped that both of us were division champs so it was actually a somewhat high profile matchup with recently ranked teams and given we'd both just played in championship games that brought in eyeballs.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT