ADVERTISEMENT

3.09M viewers - most of bowl season thru 2 weeks

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006

Cats Utah leads the way with 3.09M viewers thru the first two weeks of bowl season (basically including games thru Christmas). I’m sure that will get surpassed by multiple this week and all the NYD games, but still a pretty solid ratings outcome.

Maybe someone else can embed the chart from the article for bowl week 2, I’m on phone right now. Highest of the first week of bowl season was the UCLA game with 2.38M. So we are comfortably ahead.

We benefited from the ABC viewing window, but still was up over 25% from last year’s Las Vegas Bowl, granted that was earlier start time. We were up against an NFL game on the day (Bills), but that was on Peacock which may mitigate that a bit.

And we won. Good for any recruits that watched and for our TV numbers in conference discussions down the road…

Go Cats

Terrific rating for a pre-Christmas bowl rating given all the things people have to do on Saturday night before Christmas and that sports fans typically aren't fully into bowl watching until after Christmas.

Always good to get a lot of eyeballs on us in a win.

Does anyone know the actual attendance of the Las Vegas Bowl? The Utah side, except for the endzone, looked sparse but I assume NU's sections looked similar.

Las Vagas was relatively quiet. Hotel occupancy was reportedly less than 35%. The town was full the week before with the Rodeo Finals. A Formula ! race was a promotions dud. 1-1.5 million European visitors were expected and that did not materialize. Las Vegas is stuck with 9 more years of that contract.

I know nothing about gambling but each craps table had 4 employees-a croupier, 2 managing placement of the bets and a supervisor. The slot machines must be very expensive but I would estimate less than 20% were being used.

Mandalay Bay was very impressive. The rooms were very nice, maid service very good also. I am glad that I made the trip and saw a few of the old board members there.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Does anyone know the actual attendance of the Las Vegas Bowl? The Utah side, except for the endzone, looked sparse but I assume NU's sections looked similar.

Las Vagas was relatively quiet. Hotel occupancy was reportedly less than 35%. The town was full the week before with the Rodeo Finals. A Formula ! race was a promotions dud. 1-1.5 million European visitors were expected and that did not materialize. Las Vegas is stuck with 9 more years of that contract.

I know nothing about gambling but each roulette table had 4 employees-a croupier, 2 managing placement of the bets and a supervisor. The slot machines must be very expensive but I would estimate less than 20% were being used.

Mandalay Bay was very impressive. The rooms were very nice, maid service very good also. I am glad that I made the trip and saw a few of the old board members there.
20k was the box score attendance

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
I thought the crowd looked pretty good on TV.

The F1 race was really interesting. They raced at 10pm local time/1 am Eastern so that European eyes could watch it in the morning. Made a lot of enemies in the planning process. Blocked views of the strip, charged extortionary rates for rooms, didn’t announce a traffic plan until days before. Nobody planning realized that the desert gets cold at night in the fall, which made racing more difficult.

Night one of practice was a disaster, with 8 minutes of racing before an improperly sealed manhole (I think) caused vehicle damage and cancelled the event.

And then the race itself was apparently awesome and everyone went home happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT