ADVERTISEMENT

Utah had some very impressive statistics this season

cattul

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2002
I was bored by the lull in football news, so I headed over to the Utah site to read their coverage of the Las Vegas bowl draw. As usual, their press release included a list of statistics meant to paint the team in the best light. I must admit that I was impressed.

The Utes finished the season ranked:
#6 in first downs defense,
#8 in third down conversion defense, and
#4 in rushing defense. (Iowa finished #13, for perspective.)

Utah also finished #64 in passing yards allowed.

The disparity between their rushing/passing defensive stats was no doubt heavily influenced by the Pac-12 teams they faced off against.

I wonder how critically the loss of their safeties will affect their bowl game performance on defense. Quite frankly, they looked like a lot for the Cats to handle as they were constituted during the season. How far off from peak performance will they play in two weeks?

The loss of two starting safeties will have a major impact. Good safeties are multipliers on defense. We saw how CoCo’s absence affected our team.

A lot depends on how much Utah can pressure Bryant. Give Bryant some time, and he will make you pay.
I (well…o.k.…actually ChatGPT) did some poking around and found the linked article on the Utah safeties from the preseason.

With Bishop and Vaki out, I presume Ritchie and Reeves are the most experienced guys they’ve got. I don’t like the sound of the “four-star USC transfer“ Allen they have at safety, but then again, I may just be falling into the star rating/blue blood trap.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT