ADVERTISEMENT

Late-game blues

Medill '03

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2001
I’d like to think after Taylor missed crucial shots in all three close losses that Collins would draw up something else. But then I remember four years of MacIntosh dribbling out the clock and hoisting a three, so I guess that’s gonna be the Collins strategy.

Second half and overtime basically play the same Five Guys. I'm sure they were quite tired by that last couple minutes.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Where is the killer instinct. We are not making the crucial shots. This team kills me

Second half and overtime basically play the same Five Guys. I'm sure they were quite tired by that last couple minutes.
Another Collins staple. Every coach culls his rotation. But either guys need to get played more to develop and rest the vets, or he needs to recruit other guys. You can’t just play five or six.

Same thing as last year, 5-6 play in the 2h and they’re all gassed the last few minutes.

I kept expecting to see Nance. I thought he put in some good minutes in the first half. Not sure why Collins shortened the bench in the 2nd half. Seemed a little panicky.

Where is the killer instinct. We are not making the crucial shots. This team kills me

Well, Law made the first one, and we had the lead and the ball up 3. But that shot was part of OU's game plan in OT; sag on Pardon and have the other guys beat us from deep or off the drive. We did fairly well with our Achilles' heel to date, outside shooting, but with tired legs in OT it was not to be. Lots of open outside shots, with brutal misses And the missed front end from a 90 percent shooter did help. Give OU credit though, their center hit two tough shots with Pardon in his grille, which was the difference.

I’d like to think after Taylor missed crucial shots in all three close losses that Collins would draw up something else. But then I remember four years of MacIntosh dribbling out the clock and hoisting a three, so I guess that’s gonna be the Collins strategy.
I have flashbacks to failed isolations for Drew Crawford...tho that was a different regime.

I kept expecting to see Nance. I thought he put in some good minutes in the first half. Not sure why Collins shortened the bench in the 2nd half. Seemed a little panicky.
Yep, wasn’t like NU was getting whipped when the bench was in there. Kopp, Nance, Benson needed to get 3-4 more minutes each. Starters were done like dinner in the OT.

I thought the same thing. Nance only got 4-5 minutes, but they were just about the best he’s played against a real opponent this season.

Nance had a terribad night on defense; it happens, he is a frosh. Kopp was much better, on D though, and would have like for him to spell Taylor, Turner or Gaines at the 8 minute mark for just a bit, but that is really Monday morning quarterbacking on my part, tough to plan for OT

And yet on final possession, holding two timeouts, CCC doesn't use one to give his guys a chance to catch their breath, refocus, draw up a play, and get them ready to go execute it. Shoot, use both timeouts if you have to.

At least NU football is in the habit of winning close games now. These close losses in basketball (to good teams) are maddening.

Used to lose a ton of close games in football as well. When you get better, you win more and more of them, They seem like a distant memory in football now, and I believe that we will be having a similar discussion about the basketball program 5 years from now if the current trajectory is maintained.

And yet on final possession, holding two timeouts, CCC doesn't use one to give his guys a chance to catch their breath, refocus, draw up a play, and get them ready to go execute it. Shoot, use both timeouts if you have to.

Actually, I thought that was an excellent call on CC's part. In the Michigan game, if I recall correctly, we called timeour, gave a chance for Michigan to set their excellent defense, and got off a meh shot.

Here' OU actually got caught up with two guys not being quite set on D resulting in a wide open shot that should have been made. I don't think we get a better shot against a defense like OUs if we call a timeout.

Problem is, except for Law, we can't make big shots late in games (See: Indiana, Michigan and now Oklahoma) even when they are open. We even go a little lucky to hold on in the last two minutes vs. DePaul (generous foul call helped us ice the game).

Another Collins staple. Every coach culls his rotation. But either guys need to get played more to develop and rest the vets, or he needs to recruit other guys. You can’t just play five or six.

Really need 8 guys that can play just about any time in the game. What happened to the depth everyone was excited about?

Really need 8 guys that can play just about any time in the game. What happened to the depth everyone was excited about?
Must have went the same place all those teams who were going to full-court press us went...

But seeiously, it took a hit right out of the gate with the Falzon and Ash injuries. Say what you want about the, but even if they play only 5 minutes each, that's five minutes less gassed other players become, which certainly qould have mattered in an OT game like last night, where OU wssentially had yhose two extra players (though it must have pained Kruger to actually play them since they were, well, not good, guess he knew he had to play them to try to wear us out...).

Geeer not coming along quickly enough to at least give us something from the unfortunate Lathon situation has also been a hit to depth, but I somewhat expected that.

Last edited:
Must have went the same place all those teams who were going to full-court press us went...

But seeiously, it took a hit right out of the gate with the Falzon and Ash injuries. Say what you want about the, but even if they play only 5 minutes each, that's five minutes less gassed other pkayerz become, which certainly qould have mattered in an OT game like last night, where OU wssentially had yhose two extra players (though it must have pained Kruger to actually play them since they were, well, not good, he knew it had to play them to try to wear us out...).

Geeer not coming along quickly enough to at least give us something from the unfortunate Lathon situation has also been a hit to depth, but I somewhat expected that.
Greer would likely be still playing H.S. ball if the Lathon 'thing" hadn't happen Speaking of that , it's still a mystery that a kid isn't allowed to play for team X because of some sort of infraction but is allowed to play for team Y, also a NCAA program. Just thinking that if Mac was still around or Lathon were the lead guards, NU would have won a few of these close games.

Greer would likely be still playing H.S. ball if the Lathon 'thing" hadn't happen Speaking of that , it's still a mystery that a kid isn't allowed to play for team X because of some sort of infraction but is allowed to play for team Y, also a NCAA program. Just thinking that if Mac was still around or Lathon were the lead guards, NU would have won a few of these close games.
The Lathon situation was a NU decision. He made a choice or someone alleged something so NU washed its hands. Had nothing to do with the NCAA and wasn't anything criminal. NU just determined that he didn't fit in and I'm sure it made the right decision. I wish Lathon the best but players are expected to make good decisions off the court as well. Obviously, Lathon's error made NU uncomfortable.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Problem is, except for Law, we can't make big shots late in games (See: Indiana, Michigan and now Oklahoma) even when they are open. We even go a little lucky to hold on in the last two minutes vs. DePaul (generous foul call helped us ice the game).

Law has taken and made some absolutely huge shots this year.

He's really having a special year.

Law is carrying a heavy burden, especially late in games, and you could see it in overtime. We had the great comeback against DePaul because everyone contributed some offense and it didn't always have to go through Law.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT