ADVERTISEMENT

LAX: Northwestern 13 Virginia 12

LookGoodInPurple

Aug 26, 2004
ATLANTA -- Northwestern's 2014 season-opener will be hard to top in terms of excitement the rest of the year.

After trailing No. 8 Virginia at halftime and trading goals for most of the second half, Northwestern broke a 12-12 tie with 17 seconds left when senior Kate Macdonald converted an 8-meter goal to lift the fourth-ranked Wildcats to a 13-12 victory Sunday at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Atlanta.

An excited crowd of 1,876 lacrosse fans took in the game on the campus of Kennesaw State University.

The win was the eighth in a row for Northwestern against Virginia despite the Cavaliers entering halftime with a lead for a fourth consecutive time against the Wildcats.

Macdonald led all Wildcats scorers with three goals on the afternoon, with fellow seniors Alyssa Leonard and Kara Mupo joining sophomore Kaleigh Craig with two apiece.

Returning All-American goalkeeper Bridget Bianco deserves much of the credit for the Wildcats win, recording a career-best 14 saves to finish one shy of the Northwestern single-game record. Bianco's final save came on an excellent scoring opportunity for Virginia's Courtney Swan, keeping the score tied at 12 with 54 seconds left and setting up Northwestern's game-winning offensive possession.
This post was edited on 2/9 4:59 PM by LookGoodInPurple

Does anyone know status of Christina Esposito ... she was injured last year but seemed like someone to watch before the injury - seemed like a potential leader on attack. I hope that she is healthy enough to kick some butt because I think her contribution will be needed.

Thanks ... I saw that she played but didn't start and didn't do much stat-wise. I was wondering if she's fully healed. Kara Mupo also did not start.

I don't know much about this year's team and this was the first game, but (to me) they did not look dialed in on offense. I am wondering who will be the one or ones that fill the shoes to anchor the offense in the way that the greats from recent classes did.

Now THAT is funny. We should just create our own internet meme. When something is "a piece of crap" we just call it "OwlVision".

at least it was free
wink.r191677.gif

I couldn't see who was defending Bocklet, but I assume it was Herrington like last yr. since she was held 0-4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT