ADVERTISEMENT

Let the Controversy Continue...

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
From Today's Newspaper:

CLICK TO ENLARGE
photo_zps9d110a10.jpg

It's a no-brainer for me. Washington U. of St. Louis recruited me hard and in the end I didn't even apply to them. Northwestern was my top choice.

their schtick is to recruit hard so you DO apply, then reject a lot of people so that they have a low acceptance rate.

Back in the 80's when I was looking I had barely heard of them, and U Chicago was a graduate school with a gulag of an undergrad program.

Have to give Washington University props though for offering true scholarships based on scholastic ability without regard to need. It would have been much less expensive for my kids who attended Northwestern and Harvard to go to Washington University in St. Louis because of the generous academic scholarships they offered. Harvard even extended to my son who went there a "scholarship" that was need based - though he ended up with zero dollars from it. At least he got to keep the National Merit Scholar money since the school wasn't funding it.

This post was edited on 2/10 1:38 AM by Alaskawildkat

NU was the only school in the comic that got our mascot drawn on the t-shirt.

Score!

Originally posted by Alaskawildkat:
Have to give Washington University props though for offering true scholarships based on scholastic ability without regard to need. It would have been much less expensive for my kids who attended Northwestern and Harvard to go to Washington University in St. Louis because of the generous academic scholarships they offered. Harvard even extended my son who went there a "scholarship" that was need based so that he ended up with zero dollars from it. At least he got to keep the National Merit Scholar money since the school wasn't funding it.

This post was edited on 2/9 6:41 PM by Alaskawildkat
Not to mention keeping the First Place money in the Alaska Beavis look-alike contest.

desktop-1406690125.png

Originally posted by Gladeskat:

Touche'.

… and now returning to topic, it is somewhat informative to learn of the cartoonist's own credentials. Quoting form Wikipedia:

He met his wife Marian while attending Washington University, and they moved to Chicago where he worked for a year on the art staff of the The Adventures of Superman[/I].

This post was edited on 2/10 1:44 AM by Alaskawildkat

Originally posted by GlideCat:
NU was the only school in the comic that got our mascot drawn on the t-shirt.

Score!
Looking at the cartoonist's bio, may we assume those early years spent with The Chicago Daily News endeared our Wildcats to him as Chicago's Team to have resulted in our getting at least second billing in the comic strip?

I was heavily recruited by Washington University. I ended up on their waitlist, and by that time, I had already chosen to go to the University of Nebraska for undergrad.

I had applied to Northwestern for undergrad, and didn't get accepted. Though, I am glad that I came here for grad school instead.

Really no controversy.

WUSTL has been able to climb up the USNWR rankings (primarily via being generous w/ non-need financial aid and some hanky-panky w/ application #s and yield rate), but aside from the med school and a few other areas, isn't strong enough in enough grad programs to really be akin to Harvard.

UM (just like Cal) has one of the strongest collections of grad programs, but as a state school, can't be as selective w/ its student body.

Basically comes down to NU and UoC and while UoC is more like Yale than Harvard (Harvard is a bit more professional-oriented than Yale), would give the edge to UoC since they do have a stronger, overall grad programs.

But overall, would say that UoC is closest to Columbia out of the Ivies and NU closest to Penn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT