ADVERTISEMENT

Like I said

Honestly, I don't think it's any of the names mentioned. And generally, I don't care.

But I do know one thing we should keep in mind. Every time ... EVERY time one of these little *@#%$&^ gets anywhere close to called out ... poof ... they disappear into mountain caves of cyberspace.

You may have missed it but I've done it a few times:).
Well, in the case of Purp, I can see why she would disappear if I am cortect. Intentional iolations of Rivals TOS can be expensive if I recall correctly. If it is Purp, coming back with another screenname with "Purp" in the title was probably not the wisest of decisions...

Obviously bill Carmody is/was a better coach.

The question is- was he a “better” coach for Northwestern?

I’m not so sure.

The relaxing of the academic requirements we enacted with cc should help. The new building should help. Cc making 5 times what BC and staff made, should help.

Cc is raw.

Let’s watch and see.
Carmody was not a better coach and his failure to make the NCAA Tournament in 13 years at NU says so. Where to hell are you coming up with NU relaxing academic requirements? That is just an out and out LIE! Guess Collins and his staff are getting paid more because they are considered better coaches. After all your boy Carmody is coaching in something called the Patriot League and is losing there as well. Guess his antiquated offense and no defense or rebounding schemes don't even work in a low level league.

Reactions: lunker35
It's pretty obvious it's one of those guys.

I think there's also a person or two out here running multiple accounts.

Show me the guy working friends in the background to post or creating multiple accounts to pretend his view is gathering some type of acceptance and I'll show you the saddest guy out here
It's quite interesting that just as soon as NU goes into a slump all of these 'new" posters appear. They all jump on Collins and praise Carmody in identical ways because they never got over that Phillips finally let BC go. They are not real NU BB fans they are Carmody fans.

Reactions: EagerFan
[QUOTE="willycat, post: 489948, member: 458"]It's quite interesting that just as soon as NU goes into a slump all of these 'new" posters appear. They all jump on Collins and praise Carmody in identical ways because they never got over that Phillips finally let BC go. They are not real NU BB fans they are Carmody fans.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, at this point that's an act that's really getting tired; one that's outlived its usefulness by a mile. I was pro-Carmody; now I'm even more pro-Collins. Time to get with the program as it stands today.

Yeah, at this point that's an act that's really getting tired; one that's outlived its usefulness by a mile. I was pro-Carmody; now I'm even more pro-Collins. Time to get with the program as it stands today.
Same here. But anyone who says this team has played to its potential is just kidding themselves.

In 5 seasons he will have made exactly one postseason. And won’t have even come close in the other 4.

And if he allows Lindsay to literally walk back on defense because he’s still moping about another of his misses, while we get scored on because it’s 5 against 4, then he needs to reevaluate what he’s doing and not doing.

Lindsay going 1-15 doesn’t surprise anyone anymore: CC allowing him to pout in game, isn’t Lindsay’s fault, it’s CC’s.

Embarrassing.
First, he was building a program basically from the studs Second, 2015/16 we ended up with 20 wins and a 8-10 BIG season and that wasn't close? As good as anything BC did in getting to NIT

I wasn’t comparing an ncaa to an nit, I was saying you and others who trip all over yourselves about cc, he’s made one postseason in 5!

Yes, an ncaa. Awesome job (no sarcasm).

That being said we will have had 4 NOTHING seasons sandwiched around that. Which doesn’t diminish or delete anything about a big dance. An awesome accomplishment.

We were one win away from that with BC. We were one injury away another time. Not to detract from last year, I’m just saying we were an inch away under BC too. He didn’t do it, cc did. My point is the hyperbolic ridiculousness with which some people view him. The guy is still making rookie mistakes in year 5.

The recruiting is COMPLETLY overrated. I’m not talking rival stars count, I’m talking how good are they. This is another awful big ten and we are in the bottom again.

All we heard from you for years was - let’s see what he does when he finally has all his own players. Well here’s your answer- totally uncompetitive. BC’s players were the nucleus last year, without them, we’re lost.

Next year on paper, we’re even worse. So let’s call it one postseason in 6 (and if we do make an nit next year, you may remind me my prediction was wrong). If I’m not, that will be about HALF of BC’s tenure with ONE postseason.
And exactly how many postseasons (if NCAA is the requirement) have all the previous coaches had? He had to rebuild the program from the studs and he successfully got us to the dance and the year before to 20 wins. No other coach had done that. Is this year a disappointment? Absolutely.

An inch away under BC? What are you smokin?

Recruiting overrated? according to who? It is a team that was basically a 3 star team in a 4 star league. Better than we had had but still not at the same level as our competition. Last year only 4 star to play significant minutes was Law and yet we ended in the top half of conference with a winning BIG record, made it to the semi finals of BTT, and to the dance and won a first round game

Last edited:
Reactions: catfans5
Anyone calling me a troll should take a hike too. I am a bigger diehard fan than any of you on here. You guys just must not know enough about basketball to realize that these concepts arnt working. Yes, we made the tournament ONCE and it took a hail mary. We still are way behind every other power 5 school in Tournament appeaeances.
Trolls are the ones who come on here and call others trolls because they have no insight or anything intelligent to say about basketball. 1 postseason in 5 years, BIG DEAL.
One bad year after a historic year doesn't qualify a coach as bum. (just like one year doesn't make him the greatest ever). So your basketball knowledge is either crazy subpar or you're a troll. Collins had steady improvement every year up until this year. I for one am not throwing him or the team under the bus after one bad season that isn't even over yet.
(no longer replying to you just this thread in general)

Yeah it sucks we are losing. It makes the games hard to watch but do we have to stoop so low as to bombard our players and coach with such negativity. It makes this board dreadful to read. I understand the want to complain but it is the same points over and over. Attacking lindsey for being "lazy" which even when he works hard it looks effortless. It's just the way he moves it is just smooth. Do we really have to go to comparing collins to Carmody good gosh this argument is so dead. Carmody was good for what he did for NU as program. He got us as far as he was going to get us. We can say that both coaches were good for NU without trashing the other. They both have their flaws but give Collins some time he is young and still trying to build the program in his image.

Anyway I'm done with my rant I will post on the ball board again when there is topic not beaten to a dead horse.

Obviously bill Carmody is/was a better coach.

The question is- was he a “better” coach for Northwestern?

I’m not so sure.

The relaxing of the academic requirements we enacted with cc should help. The new building should help. Cc making 5 times what BC and staff made, should help.

Cc is raw.

Let’s watch and see.
Do you remember 2006/7 and 2007/8 under BC (his 7th and 8th seasons). All with his own recruits. I sure do. 3 BIG wins combined. In fact, BC didn't even make the NIT til his 9th season with 17 wins which is the most he had had to that point

Last edited:
Like I said, Collins has no clue how to coach a team. He might be able to recruit but that doesnt matter. As long as he coaches, we will be a once dance wonder. He got lucky one season. Accept it guys. We have a terrible offense. No adjustments. Not enough athletes. You guys can say what you want. Coach is a bum.
Like it or not, recruiting is a major portion of a coaches job. Also fundraising Also assembling a good staff. All of which CCC has done well. So far, this year looks like a speed bump. We will see what happens going forward

Now you guys are starting to catch on. This guy cannot play Duke basketball with the recruits he gets at NU. You just cant comepete at NU with these level recruits and definitely not with this offensive style. Last year was an exception. We caught all the breaks we didnt catch during the BC era. Coach Collins, thank you for breaking the ncaa streak but you cant sustain success at NU. You just arnt good enough of a coach. Thank you for the most exciting season ever though. Forever grateful.
What were "all the breaks"? Lat I looked, they won 24 games. Had a winning record in the BIG regular season. Actually made it to Sat in BTT Made it to the dance and actually won the first game. So what were "All the breaks"?

He had to rebuild the program from the studs and he successfully got us to the dance and the year before to 20 wins. No other coach had done that.

Obviously he deserves all the credit in the world for getting us to the dance, winning 24 games, making the BTT semis, etc. But this “first to 20 wins” thing is hair-splitting. NU won 20 games in 2009-10. The only difference between that and 2015-16 is that the ‘10 team won their first BTT game and the ‘16 team lost it. To say that the BTT games somehow don’t count, even though every team is guaranteed to play at least one, is just bizarre to me - especially when CC’s next team shattered that record in any case.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Obviously he deserves all the credit in the world for getting us to the dance, winning 24 games, making the BTT semis, etc. But this “first to 20 wins” thing is hair-splitting. NU won 20 games in 2009-10. The only difference between that and 2015-16 is that the ‘10 team won their first BTT game and the ‘16 team lost it. To say that the BTT games somehow don’t count, even though every team is guaranteed to play at least one, is just bizarre to me - especially when CC’s next team shattered that record in any case.
Sounds like you are the one splitting hairs. Big season is 18 games and there were two differences. The 2015/16 team had already won its 20th game prior to BTT while in 2009/10 they did not I considered BTT to be a part of post season. The 20015/16 team won 20 games prior to the BTT and lost in the first round. They won their 20 games in 31 games and went 20-11. The 2009/10 team went 19-12 in the regular season

In any event last year was very special. We went 10-8 in BIG regular season to get to not just to 20 but 21 wins, (vs 8 BIG wins to get to 19), That was two more than what was won during the season in 2009/10. (BC and the 2009/10 team won a BTT game to get 20) Then last year's team added two wins in BTT to get to 23. If you feel better should I say, first to 21, first to 22 and first to 23? Add one more in the dance and first to get to 24 but that is in post season by any definition

Last edited:
If you feel better should I say, first to 21, first to 22 and first to 23? Add one more in the dance and first to get to 24 but that is in post season by any definition

Sure, and you don’t have to qualify it because no NU team had ever won 21 games, regular or postseason. I just don’t think “first to 20 wins prior to the conference tournament” is that significant. BC was the first coach to win #19 and 20; CC was the first to 21 through 24. I think that pretty well sums up their tenures, actually.

Sure, and you don’t have to qualify it because no NU team had ever won 21 games, regular or postseason. I just don’t think “first to 20 wins prior to the conference tournament” is that significant. BC was the first coach to win #19 and 20; CC was the first to 21 through 24. I think that pretty well sums up their tenures, actually.
And Collins was the first to coach a NU team in the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Sounds like you are the one splitting hairs. Big season is 18 games and there were two differences. The 2015/16 team had already won its 20th game prior to BTT while in 2009/10 they did not I considered BTT to be a part of post season. The 20015/16 team won 20 games prior to the BTT and lost in the first round. They won their 20 games in 31 games and went 20-11. The 2009/10 team went 19-12 in the regular season

Collins' real accomplishments all came last season with the NCAA Tournament and the BTT semi-finals appearance. There is no questioning these accomplishments or splitting hairs over them.

On the other hand, I wouldn't get too hung up parading any landmark accomplishments of the 2015-16 team. That team scheduled its way to 20 wins--only 4 wins over top 100 kenpom teams and only win 1 over a top 50 kenpom team. (Further, 3 of their B1G wins came against weak Nebraska and Rutgers teams, which weren't in the B1G in 2019-10.) Meanwhile, the 2009-10 had 8 wins over top 100 kenpom teams and 3 over top 50 kenpom teams.

Despite hitting 20 wins a game before the BTT, there's a reason the 2015-16 team didn't make the NIT.

Some good thoughtful posts, but the Hatfields and McCoys still aren't close to picking up the tab for the other.

I'm pretty sure that had Carmody been retained there would be no rebuild of WelshRyan. That's not a knock on Carmody (who I like) or Dr. Jim. Even if NU had gone on to the make the tournament under Carmody, I don't think the enthusiasm would exist for the fundraising. It would still be years away.

(lighting fuse and walking away)

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Collins' real accomplishments all came last season with the NCAA Tournament and the BTT semi-finals appearance. There is no questioning these accomplishments or splitting hairs over them.

On the other hand, I wouldn't get too hung up parading any landmark accomplishments of the 2015-16 team. That team scheduled its way to 20 wins--only 4 wins over top 100 kenpom teams and only win 1 over a top 50 kenpom team. (Further, 3 of their B1G wins came against weak Nebraska and Rutgers teams, which weren't in the B1G in 2019-10.) Meanwhile, the 2009-10 had 8 wins over top 100 kenpom teams and 3 over top 50 kenpom teams.

Despite hitting 20 wins a game before the BTT, there's a reason the 2015-16 team didn't make the NIT.
But didn't every team in the BIG (except those two) get to play both of them as well? We went 8-10 in the BIG. That has generally been an NIT resume. BC went with 7-11 marks

I'm pretty sure that had Carmody been retained there would be no rebuild of WelshRyan. That's not a knock on Carmody (who I like) or Dr. Jim. Even if NU had gone on to the make the tournament under Carmody, I don't think the enthusiasm would exist for the fundraising. It would still be years away.

Hell, we'd still have the Lite Brite scoreboards.

But didn't every team in the BIG (except those two) get to play both of them as well? We went 8-10 in the BIG. That has generally been an NIT resume. BC went with 7-11 marks

BC went twice at 8-10 and twice at 7-11. You are correct that 8-10 usually gets you to the NIT, or even the NCAAs. But that doesn't mean the '16 team deserved it.

Some good thoughtful posts, but the Hatfields and McCoys still aren't close to picking up the tab for the other.

(lighting fuse and walking away)
And that is likely one of the biggest reasons for Dr. Jim moving on from BC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT