ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's preseason mag

I love that the team is getting some preseason props, but I'm surprised I haven't seen more hype for Lindsey. He was an absolute stud before he got sick. He had 20 consecutive games in double figures, which I think is an NU record. He has the tools to average 18 points a game.

Reactions: HawkCat
Give Collins a blank check and keep him here for life

Unbelievable what he's done for the program in a few short years

I love that the team is getting some preseason props, but I'm surprised I haven't seen more hype for Lindsey. He was an absolute stud before he got sick. He had 20 consecutive games in double figures, which I think is an NU record. He has the tools to average 18 points a game.

I think to get the kind of recognition you're looking for, he'd need to show that he can take over a game at times. That seems to be the expectation for top tier SGs (or a Wing). He had 31 against PSU, so that was one good example. Getting injured during he height of the season when everyone was actually paying attention clearly hurt his standing. I expect a lot from him this year.

He sort of got sick right at the critical juncture of the season missed some key games and then wasn't quite himself until the end.

I think to get the kind of recognition you're looking for, he'd need to show that he can take over a game at times. That seems to be the expectation for top tier SGs (or a Wing). He had 31 against PSU, so that was one good example. Getting injured during he height of the season when everyone was actually paying attention clearly hurt his standing. I expect a lot from him this year.

That's a fair point. But there is so much balance on this team, that I'm sure there will be games where the team wins, and Lindsey winds up being the leading scorer with 17 points (and B-Mac and Law, and Pardon all have between 12-16). Depth . . . it's a good problem to have!

Reactions: scru
That's a fair point. But there is so much balance on this team, that I'm sure there will be games where the team wins, and Lindsey winds up being the leading scorer with 17 points (and B-Mac and Law, and Pardon all have between 12-16). Depth . . . it's a good problem to have!
I'll take the wins all day versus a meaningless ranking of players by position. I think the team would as well, although I'm sure they'd all like the recognition.

Hoping we see a full year of Scottie's best basketball this coming year. Talk about silky smooth.

Guessing that the play of B-Mac, Law and Pardon will be consistently strong. And that the play of guys like Skelly, Falzon, Rap., Benson and Gaines/Ash/Brown will determine how far we move up the food chain. Imagine how much more effective the Big Four will be with strong contributions from 3 or 4 of those guys.

Believing that the Gonzaga/NCAA experience will have a very positive impact on the 2017-18 season.

Doubt that these guys belong in big games against top competition reared its head in Utah. But I also believe it was probably left behind on the return trip to Evanston.

Really looking forward to seeing how Collins and his players deal with the challenge of sustaining their success and reaching for more.

GOUNUII

Hoping we see a full year of Scottie's best basketball this coming year. Talk about silky smooth.

Guessing that the play of B-Mac, Law and Pardon will be consistently strong. And that the play of guys like Skelly, Falzon, Rap., Benson and Gaines/Ash/Brown will determine how far we move up the food chain. Imagine how much more effective the Big Four will be with strong contributions from 3 or 4 of those guys.

Believing that the Gonzaga/NCAA experience will have a very positive impact on the 2017-18 season.

Doubt that these guys belong in big games against top competition reared its head in Utah. But I also believe it was probably left behind on the return trip to Evanston.

Really looking forward to seeing how Collins and his players deal with the challenge of sustaining their success and reaching for more.

GOUNUII

Agreed. NU isn't going to sneak up on anyone this year. Let's see how they handle that. Glad they have a strong group of veteran leaders to guide them.

Post a strong 2017-18 to usher in the new Welsh-Ryan, and the sky is the limit for this program.

Agreed. NU isn't going to sneak up on anyone this year. Let's see how they handle that. Glad they have a strong group of veteran leaders to guide them.

Post a strong 2017-18 to usher in the new Welsh-Ryan, and the sky is the limit for this program.

Yes, sir. It's never felt better to be a fan of the program.

I don't think NU snuck up on many opponents last year either. Opposing coaches and players knew how good this team was. Maybe opposing fans and loud coaches' wives underestimated the Cats but the ones actually playing on the floor didn't sleep on NU.

has NU second in the B1G, 15th nationally, and with two players in the top 25 nationally at their respective positions:

BMac: 15th
Law: 17th

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/0...m-lindys-sports-college-basketball-preview-2/

Why of course! We would have made the Final Four last year if the officiating wouldn't have screwed us and our comeback. And we have our most important players coming back- including some top talent that didn't even play last year! I think, if anything, that we should be ranked higher! But that is OK. We can play the whole year as an underdog! Oh,...and make the Final Four this season.

Why of course! We would have made the Final Four last year if the officiating wouldn't have screwed us and our comeback. And we have our most important players coming back- including some top talent that didn't even play last year! I think, if anything, that we should be ranked higher! But that is OK. We can play the whole year as an underdog! Oh,...and make the Final Four this season.
Love your thinking, Mick. I am, however, a bit curious/concerned about the "home court" atmosphere, etc., at the Horizon ... er, Allstate Arena.

I'm going to be very pleased if NU finishes with the same record or better in the Big Ten, and makes the NCAA tournament. I expect it, but a lot can happen and the conference is very tough. And the schedule is goofy on top of playing home games in the village where police outnumber residents.

If NU can check those two boxes....equal or better conference record...two tournaments in a row....the program will be on a historically different trajectory. Add Gaines, Lathon, Nance and Young to the roster next year and the loftier talk re expectations doesn't seem so crazy.

Reactions: benoitdenizetl
I'm going to be very pleased if NU finishes with the same record or better in the Big Ten, and makes the NCAA tournament. I expect it, but a lot can happen and the conference is very tough. And the schedule is goofy on top of playing home games in the village where police outnumber residents.

If NU can check those two boxes....equal or better conference record...two tournaments in a row....the program will be on a historically different trajectory. Add Gaines, Lathon, Nance and Young to the roster next year and the loftier talk re expectations doesn't seem so crazy.

All things being equal (no major injuries) I would be surprised and disappointed if we did not have a better Big 10 record than last year and a shot at the regular season championship. We hit some speed bumps with health issues (Pardon and Lindsey) without which our record would've been better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT