ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern #20 in ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25... behind Gonzaga, ahead of Notre Dame

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
While certainly early, very nice to see. If this pans out we'd be a 5 seed in March Madness:

20. Northwestern Wildcats
Previous Way-Too-Early ranking: 20
Key losses: Nathan Taphorn, Sanjay Lumpkin
Key additions: Anthony Gaines

Coach Chris Collins arrived with dreams of leading Northwestern to the NCAA tournament for the first time in the school's history. After achieving that feat last season, the Wildcats will aim to mold themselves into perennially relevant contenders in the Big Ten and beyond. They beat Vanderbilt in the first round of the NCAA tournament and gave Gonzaga hell in the second round during a controversial loss. Northwestern will spend next season at AllState Arena while Welsh-Ryan Arena undergoes a yearlong renovation. What won't be renovated is the roster that made history last season. Yes, the Wildcats lose key veteran Sanjay Lumpkin and steely reserve Nathan Taphorn. But Bryant McIntosh (14.8 PPG), Scottie Lindsey (14.1 PPG) and Vic Law (12.3 PPG) are back for a Northwestern squad that held its opponents to a 44 percent clip inside the arc, 16th in the nation. Northwestern will dance again.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...mp-arizona-wildcats-no-1-way-too-early-top-25

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
While certainly early, very nice to see. If this pans out we'd be a 5 seed in March Madness:

20. Northwestern Wildcats
Previous Way-Too-Early ranking
: 20
Key losses: Nathan Taphorn, Sanjay Lumpkin
Key additions: Anthony Gaines

Coach Chris Collins arrived with dreams of leading Northwestern to the NCAA tournament for the first time in the school's history. After achieving that feat last season, the Wildcats will aim to mold themselves into perennially relevant contenders in the Big Ten and beyond. They beat Vanderbilt in the first round of the NCAA tournament and gave Gonzaga hell in the second round during a controversial loss. Northwestern will spend next season at AllState Arena while Welsh-Ryan Arena undergoes a yearlong renovation. What won't be renovated is the roster that made history last season. Yes, the Wildcats lose key veteran Sanjay Lumpkin and steely reserve Nathan Taphorn. But Bryant McIntosh (14.8 PPG), Scottie Lindsey (14.1 PPG) and Vic Law (12.3 PPG) are back for a Northwestern squad that held its opponents to a 44 percent clip inside the arc, 16th in the nation. Northwestern will dance again.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...mp-arizona-wildcats-no-1-way-too-early-top-25

Those who actually do their homework know the "Key Additions" to the team (i.e. did not contribute last season) are actually Falzon, Rap, and Gaines. Anyways, I'm excited!

Those who actually do their homework know the "Key Additions" to the team (i.e. did not contribute last season) are actually Falzon, Rap, and Gaines. Anyways, I'm excited!

Just 3 Top 20 BIG teams, MSU ... MInny ... and NU. Even in the context of a way-too-early prognostication, that is a picture not all that different than seeing Purple in the end zone of the Rose Bowl. For so very long, we didn't belong in any discussion or picture of athletic success. Only those of historical losing streaks and perennial doormats. I really felt for the players who suited up and strapped in on during those years.

I think you have to be a fan from the dark ages to fully appreciate this unique and especially sweet smell of success ... all of which I believe is attributable to the miracle Gary Barnett and his boys, including our own MrCat95, gifted NU in the mid-90s.

GOUNUII

Just 3 Top 20 BIG teams, MSU ... MInny ... and NU. Even in the context of a way-too-early prognostication, that is a picture not all that different than seeing Purple in the end zone of the Rose Bowl. For so very long, we didn't belong in any discussion or picture of athletic success. Only those of historical losing streaks and perennial doormats. I really felt for the players who suited up and strapped in on during those years.

I think you have to be a fan from the dark ages to fully appreciate this unique and especially sweet smell of success ... all of which I believe is attributable to the miracle Gary Barnett and his boys, including our own MrCat95, gifted NU in the mid-90s.

GOUNUII
+1

Amen, brother

... all of which I believe is attributable to the miracle Gary Barnett and his boys, including our own MrCat95, gifted NU in the mid-90s.
GOUNUII

NU fielded competitive basketball teams at many points throughout the dark ages. The '83 NIT team had enough talent to make the NCAA if the Big Ten wasn't absolutely brutal.

Barnett's contribution to NU athletics is certainly appreciated and was transformational for football. But regarding the hardwood, not so much.

NU fielded competitive basketball teams at many points throughout the dark ages. The '83 NIT team had enough talent to make the NCAA if the Big Ten wasn't absolutely brutal.

Barnett's contribution to NU athletics is certainly appreciated and was transformational for football. But regarding the hardwood, not so much.

I think it's safe to say that Barnett's miracle changed the entire Univetsity perception regarding the value of sports. Which was instrumental in getting financial commitments. Money and commitment were new athletic concepts at NU in the early to mid 90s. Both were critical to later getting Dr. Jim. Who accelerated the whole financial and university commitment dynamic that lead to getting CCC and 500 million in new facilities. He became a leading AD in the Country, and it was no coincidence that we hired a President whose personal commitment to sports is unwavering. Those are the fundamentals of success in college sports. We are now locked and loaded with the talent and resources to Succeed.

Each step of that process is traceable to the giant seed Barnett planted when he gifted NU the Rose Bowl with wins over ND, Michigan and PSU.

The rare and only modest success of the hoops program did nothing to shake the overwhelming perception/reality that it remained a losing program famous for its streaks of futility. What Barnett set in motion ended that and ultimately lead to the beginning of a legit Top 25 hoops program.

GOUNUII

"Northwestern will dance again."
"Again" is a pretty sweet word.

I'm wondering - since the mid-90s peak, has any football program been as high as #20 preseason? I feel like post-2000 NU was slightly below that, but I'm not sure. I don't think NU had been ranked preseason under Fitz.

(One writer's opinion - not a poll. But still, a statement on the limitless ceiling that exists.)

The rare and only modest success of the hoops program did nothing to shake the overwhelming perception/reality that it remained a losing program famous for its streaks of futility. What Barnett set in motion ended that and ultimately lead to the beginning of a legit Top 25 hoops program.
GOUNUII

In your post regarding NU basketball's recent success you wrote that "all" of that basketball success is attributable to the Gary Barnett miracle which, with respect, I do not agree with.

Well above Barnett on the list of why NU basketball has broken new ground is the happy accident that a President was hired who has an appreciation for how sports can be used to elevate the overall mission of the university in a manner consistent with its values.

I'd argue that it would have been difficult to find a president as anti-sports as NU had in the 80's. That is taking nothing away from Barnett. Maybe Pat Ryan should be mentioned....he was probably a broken record on the need to hire a president who understood sports....and that advocacy pre dated Barnett.

The hiring of Phillips was an inspired choice. But it's not like his predecessor was a light-weight or naif. And decades did go by after the miracle. The years'-long courting of Collins was even more inspired. (and I've been a critic of Phillips).

Collins is special. What he's done to change the culture around NU basketball is simply remarkable. I get the man-love for Gary Barnett but he has very little to do with this. Other coaches, Doug Collins....Coach K...Brian James....have more to do with this than Gary Barnett.

I'm wondering - since the mid-90s peak, has any football program been as high as #20 preseason? I feel like post-2000 NU was slightly below that, but I'm not sure. I don't think NU had been ranked preseason under Fitz.
To answer your question:
2001: 16 (Following tri-Big 10 champs season)
2013: 22 (Fitz's only preseason ranking, following 10-3 Gator Bowl winning season)

NU ended 4-7 and 5-7 in those respective season, so preseason rankings did not correlate with on-field success.

Reactions: NUCat320
In your post regarding NU basketball's recent success you wrote that "all" of that basketball success is attributable to the Gary Barnett miracle which, with respect, I do not agree with.

Well above Barnett on the list of why NU basketball has broken new ground is the happy accident that a President was hired who has an appreciation for how sports can be used to elevate the overall mission of the university in a manner consistent with its values.

I'd argue that it would have been difficult to find a president as anti-sports as NU had in the 80's. That is taking nothing away from Barnett. Maybe Pat Ryan should be mentioned....he was probably a broken record on the need to hire a president who understood sports....and that advocacy pre dated Barnett.

The hiring of Phillips was an inspired choice. But it's not like his predecessor was a light-weight or naif. And decades did go by after the miracle. The years'-long courting of Collins was even more inspired. (and I've been a critic of Phillips).

Collins is special. What he's done to change the culture around NU basketball is simply remarkable. I get the man-love for Gary Barnett but he has very little to do with this. Other coaches, Doug Collins....Coach K...Brian James....have more to do with this than Gary Barnett.

Looks like the Board is currently running about 10-1 against your take on the situation....with only a single like, and no +1 or Amen in your column.

A Medill grad are you?

GOUNUII

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that Barnett's miracle changed the entire Univetsity perception regarding the value of sports. Which was instrumental in getting financial commitments. Money and commitment were new athletic concepts at NU in the early to mid 90s. Both were critical to later getting Dr. Jim. Who accelerated the whole financial and university commitment dynamic that lead to getting CCC and 500 million in new facilities. He became a leading AD in the Country, and it was no coincidence that we hired a President whose personal commitment to sports is unwavering. Those are the fundamentals of success in college sports. We are now locked and loaded with the talent and resources to Succeed.

Each step of that process is traceable to the giant seed Barnett planted when he gifted NU the Rose Bowl with wins over ND, Michigan and PSU.

GOUNUII
I agree on all points. I'm going to use my non medill degree to start my own post about this

Looks like the Board is currently running about 10-1 against your take on the situation....with only a single like, and no +1 or Amen in your column.

I should change my opinion or concede that I'm wrong based on the opinions of strangers posted on a message board? If one sport has that much of an effect on another, why don't Florida, Alabama, Auburn, etc., etc., have better bball teams over their history? Why don't Duke, Louisville and Kentucky have better football teams over their history? I concede some effect, but not to the degree suggested.

A Medill grad are you?

GOUNUII

I'm not sure. When I graduated there was a note in my diploma box that said, in effect, will give you your diploma when you finish paying your tuition.

I've been laughingly accused of being a Gary Barnett worshipper (though I do much thank and recognize Gary for the great accomplishments he made for NU).

But, this is spot on. Barnett resurrected our football program from the dead. He had little to do with what happened in hoops. Before Collins, Kevin Oneill and Bill Carmody all were here post-Barnett. Byrdsong too, if you count time at NU after the Rose Bowl. None of those clowns could get us to where we are now, much less the heights where we will get to. All of the credit belongs to Collins. This is his program, these are his guys that he coached that made up the core last year (even Sanjay and Tap never really played on the court for Carmody, even if they were recruited by him).

The great thing is that this is just the beginning. We will get to the Final Four under Collins. B1G titles too. Perhaps, dareIsay, a national championship. And you're right. It has little to do with Barnett. Thank you Coach Collins for what you have done for NU basketball, and for all that is to come.

I should change my opinion or concede that I'm wrong based on the opinions of strangers posted on a message board? If one sport has that much of an effect on another, why don't Florida, Alabama, Auburn, etc., etc., have better bball teams over their history? Why don't Duke, Louisville and Kentucky have better football teams over their history? I concede some effect, but not to the degree suggested.

I'm not sure. When I graduated there was a note in my diploma box that said, in effect, will give you your diploma when you finish paying your tuition.

By your questions you have rendered certain that you do not understand where NU athletics was pre-Barnett, how his accomplishments changed the entire landscape and how those changes eventually lead to where NU athletics is today. Nothing wrong with that. None of us understand everything. And none of that takes anything away from what CCC and others have accomplished in men's hoops. Just illuminates the history that put us in a position to get CCC.

GOUNUII

I've been laughingly accused of being a Gary Barnett worshipper (though I do much thank and recognize Gary for the great accomplishments he made for NU).

But, this is spot on. Barnett resurrected our football program from the dead. He had little to do with what happened in hoops. Before Collins, Kevin Oneill and Bill Carmody all were here post-Barnett. Byrdsong too, if you count time at NU after the Rose Bowl. None of those clowns could get us to where we are now, much less the heights where we will get to. All of the credit belongs to Collins. This is his program, these are his guys that he coached that made up the core last year (even Sanjay and Tap never really played on the court for Carmody, even if they were recruited by him).

The great thing is that this is just the beginning. We will get to the Final Four under Collins. B1G titles too. Perhaps, dareIsay, a national championship. And you're right. It has little to do with Barnett. Thank you Coach Collins for what you have done for NU basketball, and for all that is to come.

I take comfort knowing you're on the other side of this issue E-Cat.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Gladeskat
By your questions you have rendered certain that you do not understand where NU athletics was pre-Barnett, how his accomplishments changed the entire landscape and how those changes eventually lead to where NU athletics is today. Nothing wrong with that. None of us understand everything. And none of that takes anything away from what CCC and others have accomplished in men's hoops. Just illuminates the history that put us in a position to get CCC.

GOUNUII

Rex Walter would have stayed at NU had Barnett arrived a few years earlier.

Instead, he transferred to a football powerhouse and NU's best chance at a tournament prior to last year was blown up.

Rex Walter would have stayed at NU had Barnett arrived a few years earlier.

Instead, he transferred to a football powerhouse and NU's best chance at a tournament prior to last year was blown up.
Yeah, that Kansas program was a powerhouse;)

Athletics were very low profile before Gary's success. Lots of people thought NU didn't belong in the Big Ten. That's what changed after the Barnett miracle. Nobody is saying that Chris doesn't deserve all the credit for what the basketball team accomplished, but it set the table waiting for the right coach to come along.

Yes, you need a charismatic and talented coach to create a winning culture and get players to buy in. Other than that is no logical nexus between the success of the football team's success in the mid-1990s and the basketball team's success 22 years later.

A Medill grad are you?

GOUNUII
Sorry, got to go against you on this. Barnett's success did have something to do with the perception change but it only got us a step or so along the way for BB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT