ADVERTISEMENT

NU to play in 2023 Hall of Fame Tipoff

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Here's the release from NU....

Wildcats to Play at 2023 Hall of Fame Tip Off at Mohegan Sun

EVANSTON, Ill. -
The Northwestern men's basketball team has announced it will participate in the 2023 Hall of Fame Tip Off at Mohegan Sun on Saturday, Nov. 18 and Sunday, Nov. 19 in Uncasville, Conn.

The Wildcats will open the weekend on Saturday with a tilt against Rhode Island before appearing in the championship or consolation game on Sunday against either Mississippi State or Washington State. Game times and TV designations will be released on a later date.

Northwestern is 0-2 all-time against the Rams, and will meet for the first time since a 76-64 setback on March 17, 2010 in the first round of the NIT.

"We are excited to host another highly competitive weekend of basketball at the Mohegan Sun for the 2023 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament," said John L. Doleva, President and CEO of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, the host of the event. "We look forward to watching the field of teams play and welcoming their fans to one of the country's best early season events."

Tickets for the 2023 Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off will go on sale Friday, September 8, via Ticketmaster and on sale at the Mohegan Sun Arena Box Office starting Saturday, September 9. For more information, please visit hoophall.com.

Saturday, November 18
Mississippi State vs. Washington State
Rhode Island vs. Northwestern

Sunday, November 19
Consolation Game
Championship Game

Last season Northwestern finished in second place in the Big Ten Conference standings and reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament. In the offseason head coach Chris Collins signed a contract extension that will keep him in Evanston through 2028.

Oh crap --- you know what this means....

will ferrell snl GIF

Obviously things can change significantly from year to year but here are the 22-23 NET ratings of the three other teams and where they'd be on a resume:

Mississippi State - 53 (Quad 2)
Washington State - 79 (Quad 2)
Rhode Island - 263 (Quad 4)

Rhode Island had a lot of turnover, should be able to get that one. CCC would love to be Miller

Don't we have a poster here who lives very near the Mohegan Sun?
Yeah, I live about an hour from there in CT. The last time they were in that tournament, my son and I went to a couple games. However, that was that post-tournament team and that weekend was the first sign that team was not quite right. It kind of makes me nervous that we have another post-tournament team with high expectations and we're back in that Tip Off tournament.

Might be a fun trip. Everyone always talks about the beauty of southeastern Connecticut in November, but...
Home football game against Purdue that Saturday. Just going to have to wait a few more years for that dream vacation in Uncasville.

Yeah, I live about an hour from there in CT. The last time they were in that tournament, my son and I went to a couple games. However, that was that post-tournament team and that weekend was the first sign that team was not quite right. It kind of makes me nervous that we have another post-tournament team with high expectations and we're back in that Tip Off tournament.

It also followed sharply on the heels of Chris Collins signing a contract extension.

In this case I don't expect our coaches to suffer a relapse. The roster we have this year seems to get along well. That helps. The key guys are also motivated to improve on last year's accomplishments. Barnhizer and Nicholson were largely overlooked last year (despite their obvious impact) and I'd expect them both to be quite good this year with Buie running the show. Throw in a roster full of hungry young players (Hunger, Martinelli, Mullins, Clayton) and a capable Ivy League grad who wants to prove he is a Power 6 player and I just don't see this team suffering a setback.

To me, the real question marks revolve around Buie and Audige. If Audige doesn't come back, its Buies team. Sometimes that responsibility weighs heavily. And Buie or Audige could fall into that trap of trying to impress the scouts with their offense, instead of playing team basketball.

Other than that (and injuries) we're golden.

It also followed sharply on the heels of Chris Collins signing a contract extension.

In this case I don't expect our coaches to suffer a relapse. The roster we have this year seems to get along well. That helps. The key guys are also motivated to improve on last year's accomplishments. Barnhizer and Nicholson were largely overlooked last year (despite their obvious impact) and I'd expect them both to be quite good this year with Buie running the show. Throw in a roster full of hungry young players (Hunger, Martinelli, Mullins, Clayton) and a capable Ivy League grad who wants to prove he is a Power 6 player and I just don't see this team suffering a setback.

To me, the real question marks revolve around Buie and Audige. If Audige doesn't come back, its Buies team. Sometimes that responsibility weighs heavily. And Buie or Audige could fall into that trap of trying to impress the scouts with their offense, instead of playing team basketball.

Other than that (and injuries) we're golden.
I thought it was Boo’s team by tournament time. He was clearly the engine, at least on offense, and he was the most vocal guy on the floor.

I love Boo. I love his game. I love that he stayed. I love his beard. Give him the damn ball.

I’m actually slightly disappointed we’re in CT on this particular weekend. I’m planning to travel from the west coast to be at Ryan Field on 11/18 for (we think?) the last game there before it’s torn down. I thought that would be a good day/weekend to have the hoops team(s) at home for those who came into town for the football game. I’m glad we’re in one of these 2-day events, just wish it wasn’t that weekend. Maybe the women’s team can at least have a home game.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Many probably know, but one month out thought it might be good to post this. Unfortunately, vs URI doesn't look to be on TV (leaving it to Styre for confirm)
We might miss the cowbells 😀

Side note: we can watch most of NU/PU in one of the many bars there leading up to tipoff (making the wild guess that will be noon ET game)

https://www.hoophall.com/events/tip-off-tournament

2023 Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament

Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville CT

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 18

12:00 PM ET - Mississippi State vs. Washington State - ESPN2

2:30 PM ET - Rhode Island vs. Northwestern - ESPN+

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 19

1:00 PM ET - Championship - ESPN2

3:30 PM ET - Consolation - ESPNU

Reactions: ricko654321
Many probably know, but one month out thought it might be good to post this. Unfortunately, vs URI doesn't look to be on TV (leaving it to Styre for confirm)

Side note: we can watch most of NU/PU in one of the many bars there leading up to tipoff (making the wild guess that will be noon ET game)

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 18

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 19

I'll be there! Happy to hang out with any fellow board denizens. My wife likely won't want to go as she is not a big sports fan and my kids are all grown up and moved away, so TheC may be a one-man cheering section.

Also, the last time the Cats were in this tournament in 2018 I think, I was able to get $3 tickets on StubHub right near the court. It isn't a big draw.

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 18

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 19

Unless something changes, the NU-URI game is indeed on ESPN+. I think the first game is going to be streaming-only as well with football on ESPN2.

I'll be there! Happy to hang out with any fellow board denizens. My wife likely won't want to go as she is not a big sports fan and my kids are all grown up and moved away, so TheC may be a one-man cheering section.

Also, the last time the Cats were in this tournament in 2018 I think, I was able to get $3 tickets on StubHub right near the court. It isn't a big draw.
I should be there, too! Let’s connect as we get closer.

As you could guess -- I will be there. There might be ~5% more interest with the huge URI contingent that I'm sure will be making the trip.

Either way, there is a MJ23 Sports Bar & Grill that should be OK for football watch.
https://mohegansun.com/poi/dining/mj23-sports-bar-grill.html

Here's the whole place
https://mohegansun.com/content/dam/mohegansun/PDF/Misc/property-map.pdf

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I’m torn as to whether to go to this game or the “last” football game at Ryan Field/Dyche Stadium.
Hi, I’m going on Saturday for sure. I have to be back in NY Sunday morning. When the Cats win Saturday, they will be confirmed for the late game Sunday, which I will be able to make.

Go Cats!

Hi, I’m going on Saturday for sure. I have to be back in NY Sunday morning. When the Cats win Saturday, they will be confirmed for the late game Sunday, which I will be able to make.

Go Cats!
The championship is the early game on Sunday, not the late game.

Reactions: ricko654321
I might go to the Mohegan Sun as well as I am on Long Island right now for Thanksgiving and a ferry from the end of Long Island takes you to New London and it's 16 minutes away.

But can we decide on one bar to go to? There seem to be four sports bars there and it would be dumb for each to have say 8 fans (make no mistake that is cool) when if everyone gathered in one it would be 32 fans and that is an entire cheering section!

Already mentioned - seems like the place? I vote yes.

But there are other options that people might go to -

It sure would be nice to coalesce around just one place. "United Front" and all that. I like the MJ23 Option.

Hope to meet some of you there. I am having a minor medical thing done on Friday morning which should not affect my travel but it may, but 90 percent chance I will be there to see the Cats!

I would vote MJ23 (not too far from the arena IIRC; second floor). Here is the map again:
https://mohegansun.com/content/dam/mohegansun/PDF/Misc/property-map.pdf (#53)

Of course, get there early enough to visit the sporstbook (if not on your phone) to place the NU / NU win / win Sat parlay (would guess they might have terminals in the bar).

If people reply soon enough, I could maybe give them a call to save the space.

I don't think there is any need to reserve. Just wander in as long as ONE place is chosen. MJ23 is fine by me - are we all in?

I would vote MJ23 (not too far from the arena IIRC; second floor). Here is the map again:
https://mohegansun.com/content/dam/mohegansun/PDF/Misc/property-map.pdf (#53)

Of course, get there early enough to visit the sporstbook (if not on your phone) to place the NU / NU win / win Sat parlay (would guess they might have terminals in the bar).

If people reply soon enough, I could maybe give them a call to save the space.
I will be there. Are we talking noon for the beginning of the football game?

If I am there (again, I have a doc thing on Friday, 20 percent chance I will be too bandaged up to make it), then I will happily be there at noon (or noonish). What about everyone else? I would not reserve anything, too much is up in the air, let's just sidle up to the bar for a cold one and snacks.

I will be there. Are we talking noon for the beginning of the football game?
Yes, I would say noon for football. I can still call to let them know there might be a few of us wandering in -- don't have to call it a reservation.

Reactions: TheC
Yes, I would say noon for football. I can still call to let them know there might be a few of us wandering in -- don't have to call it a reservation.
TheC / BosCat / others- I get to New London train station on Sat just before Noon, then might want to drop my backpack off. I had already done some surveying of the options in Mohegan Sun and independently was planning to head to MJ23 for the Cats football game, so great alignment - prob will get there circa 12:30-1pm.

I know a couple of family friends that will be watching the early bball game (they also have Wash St ties in addition to NU), so unclear how long I'll stay at the sports bar before heading to the arena to meet them. Based on the relative timing I imagine I'll be streaming the end of the NU Purdue game from our seats. Wish we had drawn a 3:30pm (ET) start so we could go watch most of the football game after URI bball, but alas.

Anyways, will look for the other folks in purple at MJ23 to say hello. Let's bring home a couple of Wildcat victories!

GO CATS

PS also staying for the Sunday game - I booked a 4:30pm Amtrak home on the hopeful assumption that we beat URI and earn the 1pm start in the Championship game. It's no change fees though if not, so a low risk maneuver.

Reactions: TheC
So the final decision is here

To watch the football game and warm up before the basketball. Football game is at noon, the bar opens at 11am.

Ok.... ticket purchased! I'll be at MJ23s around noon for the football gathering. I should be easy to recognize.... I'll be the guy wearing a purple shirt!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT