ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Mississippi State vs. Northwestern

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Northwestern (4-0) plays Mississippi State (4-0) today at 12 p.m. CT for the Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament championship. The game will air on ESPN2 and the Wildcats are underdogs, +3.5, for the first time this season.

This could be an NCAA Tournament preview as both teams made the Dance last season. The Wildcats advanced to the Round of 32, while the Bulldogs lost in the First Four to Pitt.

Should be our biggest non-conference game of the season. Mississippi State is 29th in T-Rank and 18th in KenPom (although KenPom is generally worthless before the new year).

So what I was talking about yesterday with Preston is his inability to finish hard at the rim. We just saw that twice now which caused 4 missed points.

Carbon copy of yesterday… we go into this stretch where we can’t score

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
That kid can’t keep shooting that well all day. He’s making crazy threes. Only reason they are in this. That’s not sustainable.

Shots just rimming out. While they keep making their 3s. So frustrating.

That was a FAST 10-second call (there were still 20 seconds showing on the shot clock, not 19 or fewer), and CC WAS calling a timeout.

These PxP guys are annoying as hell. They were rooting for MsSt in the first half when we were winning and now they’re ripping us to shreds now that we’re losing

Langborg misses EVERY shot he takes when running off a screen and jumping before he squares to the basket. When he's squared up he makes almost all of them.

I love Boo, but he got dominated by a freshman today. Very worrying.

Agreed on Hunger. Maybe this performance will get him into the mix. He's supposedly a good 3 shooter too. That could open up some interesting possibilities.

They’re a tournament team imo so not a bad loss. But man, we missed a lot of good looks.

Can’t shoot like that AND have Boo be invisible and expect to win. Especially against a good team.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin and MC_Cat
YouTube TV couldn’t figure out the start time. Continues to insist the game is about the start. So I missed it entirely.

• Sad
YouTube TV couldn’t figure out the start time. Continues to insist the game is about the start. So I missed it entirely.
You just had to go to ESPN2 and it was on there. It wasn’t listed right but if you turned on the channel under “live” it was on.

Why, pretty much our entire offense has come down shooting 3’s?
I just think pulling their big out of the paint because they have to worry about our big shooting that top of the key 3 usually provides good scoring opportunities at the basket.

Agreed on Hunger. Maybe this performance will get him into the mix. He's supposedly a good 3 shooter too. That could open up some interesting possibilities.

His one open 3 looked good but made this awful thud on the rim. But he had a really nice fake handoff for a driving layup and the nice fighting inside for a foul that extended one possession for us near the end. We’ve had a really nice streak of developing big men deep on the bench here … Collins and the staff clearly have a knack for that.

Reactions: Gatabowl
His one open 3 looked good but made this awful thud on the rim. But he had a really nice fake handoff for a driving layup and the nice fighting inside for a foul that extended one possession for us near the end. We’ve had a really nice streak of developing big men deep on the bench here … Collins and the staff clearly have a knack for that.
The fake handoff drive could be a nice wrinkle to our offense which would keep teams honest when guarding that. Right now, they know they don't have to worry about it at all with Nicholson. But I feel like Matt could make that play. He just has to be confident and go do it!

With 7 minutes left in the game Miss St. had 45 points. Scored 20 after that.
I think NU defense is doing g it job, but not efficient with the offense to increase leads during the game,

In the URI game. 15 - 17 layups were missed. Today missed quite a few open shots as well.

A couple cheapies ...

1) I'd love to see a shot chart for this team. They seem brutal inside 4-5 feet. And that's not completely a byproduct of the big men. It goes far beyond the three of them.
2) Langborg and Barnhizer need to be more aggressive with their shots if this team is going to be successful. I think you saw it from BB late in the game when it was out of reach.

Thankfully, it's still early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT