ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Penn State vs. NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we had a ton of chances to win that. So sad to lose to the team that showed up to play us tonight.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Just a terrible terrible loss at home. Worst defensive performance of the year.
PSU players were left wide open every possession.

The Buie isolation every possession is a joke. This is a freaking team game. Boo is not Micheal Jordan! Ridiculous.

• Sad
I don’t get using fouls to give, like we did, close to the half-court line.
Right...in a tie game, take 'em out of their offense, sure, but you don't HAVE to do it. The best time to do it is when you're up three.

Those Boo isolation play got other guys open with the ball, they just missed.

The two killers for me at the end were consistently letting them get open at the three and then all our missed bunnies and several no calls on the source of those misses.

Every team has 'em, but oh man do I wish Rutgers, Illinois, and and Penn State went our way. That's the difference between middle of the 8-loss jungle and a potential Big Ten championship.

Guys fought hard just missed too many inside shots. Still love the team but man this is a tough loss. You get bunnies you have to make them.

Reactions: drewjin and bjm989
Well, we had a ton of chances to win that. So sad to lose to the team that showed up to play us tonight.
And a team that was 3-7 on the road. Blown opportunity. I suppose CCC said once we were in the dance the team could focus on getting better w/o the pressure. That goes for the 2nd half and end of game coaching. Not a fan of the offensive game plan down the stretch, CCC.

Just a terrible terrible loss at home. Worst defensive performance of the year.
PSU players were left wide open every possession.

The Buie isolation every possession is a joke. This is a freaking team game. Boo is not Micheal Jordan! Ridiculous.
Buie's made those shots all season. They didn't fall tonight.

I said it the last game I do not know why the hell we’re still doubling when there is no center that can beat us too much doubling lead to wide open threes and what did Penn State do capitalize on every time we left them open like could Chris for once just try something different instead of going to what we normally do there’s no need to do all that especially with a hot shooting team like Penn State. This is exactly what Maryland did but the difference is they buried us all game, this game should’ve never even been this close had we stopped pissing our pants not making shots earlier in the first half and we had them down by 10. Oh well there goes the double bye let’s go spoil Rutgers senior night.

Except for most of the last half they backed one of our guys down into the circle. I’d have liked to see how MN would have helped in the paint there. He never got a chance.
As a general rule, and though you make adjustments for every game, I don’t think you make major adjustments against a team you are favored against. When you are an underdog, sure, you got to try to outsmart the opponent.

That’s why it’s so puzzling to me the complete absence of Nicholson.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I said it the last game I do not know why the hell we’re still doubling when there is no center that can beat us too much doubling lead to wide open threes and what did Penn State do capitalize on every time we left them open like could Chris for once just try something different instead of going to what we normally do there’s no need to do all that especially with a hot shooting team like Penn State. This is exactly what Maryland did but the difference is they buried us all game, this game should’ve never even been this close had we stopped pissing our pants not making shots earlier in the first half and we had them down by 10. Oh well there goes the double bye let’s go spoil Rutgers senior night.
That might all be true but we did not lose the game on defense. 61 against this team is god awful

As a general rule, and though you make adjustments for every game, I don’t think you make major adjustments against a team you are favored against. When you are an underdog, sure, you got to try to outsmart the opponent.

That’s why it’s so puzzling to me the complete absence of Nicholson.
Did MN play at all in the second half?

That might all be true but we did not lose the game on defense. 61 against this team is god awful
I agree, but I will say it’s more so 70/30 offense defense, if you know a team can shoot it well from three and you know we give up the most threes in the Big Ten, Why not just go to a straight up man to man Defense it’s not that hard to figure out I mean we are the smart institution aren’t we?

Did we watch the same game? Nicholson did very little in that first half, and looked very slow. Verhoeven gave us a chance with his increased mobility, we should have won the damn game in regulation if anyone on the team could take decent shots and make them. PSU had 10 turnovers in the first half and we were only up 4. They had no business losing this one.

Did we watch the same game? Nicholson did very little in that first half, and looked very slow. Verhoeven gave us a chance with his increased mobility, we should have won the damn game in regulation if anyone on the team could take decent shots and make them. PSU had 10 turnovers in the first half and we were only up 4. They had no business losing this one.
Thank you. Very very very straightforward game. A loss poor shooting performance inside the arc by the team and a very bad offensive night for everybody who isn’t a BB.

I don’t think anyone is advocating that we’d have won the game with Nicholson in. Just that it was strange the complete absence.

Audige had a miserable game against Purdue and then won the game for us. I know Matt is not that kind of player. But who knows he makes some block at the end that wins it for us.

At the end of the day we lost, that’s what we know. I personally think we'd have lost in any scenario today. When it's Barnhizer having to carry the other-than-Buie load by himself we are in deep doo doo. Chase is a awful, Beran disappears as he usually does. Just tough to score like that, even against a not-so-great defense.

Pickett had 7 pts why the double EVErY time?
Maybe that's why he only had 7 points?

Complementary offense. State Penn were closing down inside when Boo tried to drive, then you had Audige missing a free throw down the stretch, Berry forcing up a three in OT, and just poor shooting other than Brooks and Boo.

Time to get serious. In a normal year, 11 B1G wins would securely get you into The Dance. This year, I'm not so sure. As of now, the log jam is at 8 loss. I seriously doubt that the NCAA is going to give The B1G 9 spots this year, perhaps not even 8. Plus, you have PSU and Wisconsin coming up strong from behind. If they win out and get hot during the B1G Tournament, who's to say that one or both of those teams couldn't pass a nine-loss team who had a poor tournament showing? Don't shoot the messenger, just saying.

Time to get serious. In a normal year, 11 B1G wins would securely get you into The Dance. This year, I'm not so sure. As of now, the log jam is at 8 loss. I seriously doubt that the NCAA is going to give The B1G 9 spots this year, perhaps not even 8. Plus, you have PSU and Wisconsin coming up strong from behind. If they win out and get hot during the B1G Tournament, who's to say that one or both of those teams couldn't pass a nine-loss team who had a poor tournament showing? Don't shoot the messenger, just saying.
Stop. They were a 6 seed going into this game. In a nutshell, they lose to a Last Four Out team. I get that we've been "reeling" because this is our longest losing streak at three. We just need to respond. It sucks. I get it. We will securely be in the tournament without playing in Dayton. Look at the other resume teams... Let's move on to Rutgers.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
Stop. They were a 6 seed going into this game. In a nutshell, they lose to a Last Four Out team. I get that we've been "reeling" because this is our longest losing streak at three. We just need to respond. It sucks. I get it. We will securely be in the tournament without playing in Dayton. Look at the other resume teams... Let's move on to Rutgers.
I hope you're right. Let's move on to Rutgers, get a win, and remove all doubt.

I hope you're right. Let's move on to Rutgers, get a win, and remove all doubt.
Trust me man. I've been locked into the field this year because of us. There's a lot of other team this year that don't stack up to us regardless of if we lose out (I hope that's not the case). We are securely in. If we want to talk about our issues and what we need to fix... that's a different thing lol.

Trust me man. I've been locked into the field this year because of us. There's a lot of other team this year that don't stack up to us regardless of if we lose out (I hope that's not the case). We are securely in. If we want to talk about our issues and what we need to fix... that's a different thing lol.
Anyone can run the teamcast scenario on BartTorvik. If the Cats lose on Sunday and they lose in the BTT, the worst case scenario is losing to Minnesota. If that that scenario happens, they are projected to be a 10 seed, third of the last 4 byes. The Minnesota scenario is super unlikely. They'll probably play Wisconsin or some other team with a decent NET rating. If they lose to a team like that, the projection is a 9 seed. Things get a lot simpler if they win Sunday.

Go Cats!

Anyone can run the teamcast scenario on BartTorvik. If the Cats lose on Sunday and they lose in the BTT, the worst case scenario is losing to Minnesota. If that that scenario happens, they are projected to be a 10 seed, third of the last 4 byes. The Minnesota scenario is super unlikely. They'll probably play Wisconsin or some other team with a decent NET rating. If they lose to a team like that, the projection is a 9 seed. Things get a lot simpler if they win Sunday.

Go Cats!

Yes. We will be fine. I know it's easy to think the worst of outcomes with how we're doing but we are comfortably in. Let's just win some more games!

Nicholson was terrible early on, muffing two easy scoring opportunities underneath. Verhoven played a really strong game. He was not the reason we lost this one,
Thinking the same thing. Verhoven outplayed Nich tonight. He was excellent on several 50-50 balls. It was a good choice.

Besides their stagnant offense, there was a problem with their rotation on defense all night. They were slow in recognizing that weak side help after the double. Always a step behind and frankly a concerning amount of pissy with each other about it.

• Angry
Terrible blockout by Berry at the end. He let the guy go around him and get the rebound. Weak.
I'd like to emphasize this one. Watch the play. HORRIBLE effort by Berry.

Mahaffey whupped two NU players for that rebound. But I really have no clue where Berry was.

• Angry
The problem is Audige can’t hit the side of a barn right now. And Berry is struggling also. Beran is a ghost.

Reading thru all the posts. Chuckling here and there.
I went to the game.
Then I re-watched it on tv.

Collins took away our interior advantage by sitting Nicholson, exactly as I feared. He turned it into a 3 point shooting contest, exactly as I feared. He played straight into the strengths of Penn State. Exactly as I feared. And we lost a game that we should win 95 times out of 100.

Give the coach an F.

• Sad
To me problem was the first half. They had a stretch where the defense was amazing, yet NU did not take advantage of the situation, the were terrible from 2 point range and should have been up 20.

Teams are trying g to take the ball out of Boos hands and living with Chase trying to make plays.

It's part of the game, but Roper missing most of the season with nagging injuries is catching up with them. The few basket he got going to the hoop and his defense would help out.

Every team jn the Big10 has won a few and lost a few they should or shouldn't have. That's the fun of the game.

Personally, if Beran could step up on offense I would have would him at center. He should have been able to take any of their bugs off the dribble and that would have open the gs up.

Everyone has their opinion of what they would have done after the game, that's what makes this fun. Ultimately, players have to make shots and NU has had issues with that all year.

Get jn the gym and make yourself better.

It's been a great ride enjoy it.

Big Matt reminds me of whoever is out back up QB in football. When we lose, why isn’t he playing. I love his progression, but he was close to useless in the first half. Verhoeven played by far his best game. We were not getting beat inside. In fact our D was solid the whole game. Besides Barney, Verhoeven was our biggest bright spot in the game.

Reading thru all the posts. Chuckling here and there.
I went to the game.
Then I re-watched it on tv.

Collins took away our interior advantage by sitting Nicholson, exactly as I feared. He turned it into a 3 point shooting contest, exactly as I feared. He played straight into the strengths of Penn State. Exactly as I feared. And we lost a game that we should win 95 times out of 100.

Give the coach an F.
What interior advantage? Big Matt has a range of 5 feet tops. He is a great defender, but VH brought more to the table in this game. It was a match up issue and this was not a game designed for BIg Matt. VH was playing real well, it would have been Coaching malpractice if he removed him in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT