ADVERTISEMENT

LOI?

Oh, great. Another mystery. Lathon v2.0.....
Uh, Lathon had his admission revoked, so people were naturally curious as to why, even though for a thinking person it was no real mystery. I doubt many people care about why Jones signed in the spring instead of the fall:especially when a reason has been publicly reported...and if the reported reason was wrong, Haywood likely provided the correct reason: as he has been proven nearly 100% correct in his assessments on these boards...

i believe academics. cats were lucky to keep him. as an unsigned prospect he was still pursued hard by most schools in the southeast including kentucky and georgia

Sees strange it would be academics, since he played his entire season. Players with academic issues (most recently January at Illinois) generally skip their senior season of basketball to focus on academics if that is the case...

Not saying I doubt you (you have been nearly 100% correct on these boards), just seems like an odd reason...

There are different types of "academics"

One type is, you're missing a class or two that NU would like to see before admittance....passing the class(es) with flying colors first semester gets you in.

Reactions: mikewebb68
[QUOTE="haywood jahblowme, post: as an unsigned prospect he was still pursued hard by most schools in the southeast including kentucky and georgia[/QUOTE]

Kentucky was hot after the #187 ranked prospect in the country?

Only Haywood>>>>>>>>> random internet source.

Every fan base has an insider who is connect to the coaching staff or the player/family/handlers/AAU. Every. Single. One. The good ones know when they’re being fed horseshit and filter accordingly. The rest carry water for the staff/player and look ridiculous.

Suggesting that Kentucky was “pushing hard” for this kid is hilarious. I’m not saying this kid won’t ever be a good contributor at NU as an upperclassman. But Kentucky recruits on another level all together and wouldn’t even begin to consider taking a kid who barely snuck into the Top 200 composite rankings. He might be a diamond in the rough, but Kentucky *buys* their diamonds right out of the display case.

Reactions: IGNORE
Every fan base has an insider who is connect to the coaching staff or the player/family/handlers/AAU. Every. Single. One. The good ones know when they’re being fed horseshit and filter accordingly. The rest carry water for the staff/player and look ridiculous.

Suggesting that Kentucky was “pushing hard” for this kid is hilarious. I’m not saying this kid won’t ever be a good contributor at NU as an upperclassman. But Kentucky recruits on another level all together and wouldn’t even begin to consider taking a kid who barely snuck into the Top 200 composite rankings. He might be a diamond in the rough, but Kentucky *buys* their diamonds right out of the display case.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Haywood knows more about this subject than you: just by the position he holds at NU. His information has been proven correct here more times than I can count.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Haywood knows more about this subject than you: just by the position he holds at NU. His information has been proven correct here more times than I can count.
In that case, I’ll play a tiny violin tonight for all the broken hearts down in Big Blue Nation. I hope this doesn’t ruin their Easter.

I have absolutely no knowledge of whether Kentucky was pursuing Jones. But I do know that unsigned kids take on a perceived added value in the late signing period. Witness the fact that Kentucky heavily pursued Mark Smith two years ago, a player who was far outside that top 20 range where the Wildcats normally live. The fact that Jones is 6-10 with a big time body lends further credence to the concept. Doesn’t make it true, but Haywood is usually a very reliable source.

Reactions: NUCat320
Don't really care if Cal was pursuing JJ.

But do care that it seems like JJ is a taller, more polished (at this stage) version of Pardon.

The TT coach did one heck of a job assembling his runner-up squad (after losing 6 of the top 8 scorers) - filling holes in his roster w/ 3 transfers who were top 5 scorers for the team.

Don’t all the big name programs take a few guys who can sit on the bench and basically provide ballast in case the one-and-dones don’t come through? I started Googling Duke’s bench during the tournament. They have a few guys whose offer sheets had very few other big names and one player (Jordan Goldwire) who was about to commit to Eastern Kentucky until Coach K called him out of the blue.

I have absolutely no knowledge of whether Kentucky was pursuing Jones. But I do know that unsigned kids take on a perceived added value in the late signing period. Witness the fact that Kentucky heavily pursued Mark Smith two years ago, a player who was far outside that top 20 range where the Wildcats normally live. The fact that Jones is 6-10 with a big time body lends further credence to the concept. Doesn’t make it true, but Haywood is usually a very reliable source.

Haywood doesn't make stuff up.

I remember 7 or so years ago when NU offered the guard from Olah's high school...Brozja or something....we all held our breath as Kentucky/Louisville had him in for a weekend visit. He committed to NU, admissions declined so he went to Villanova...and then switched to Evansville. Analogous.

Make the stupid stop. Who the hell cares who was pursuing him or why, he signed.

Hey, let us bask in our glory upon hearing our alma mater beat out Kentucky to sign a teenager much younger than us. It makes my life a little more complete.
Well, they're not going to start signing 30-somethings... is it weird to get excited about an NBA team drafting Zion, Lebron, MJ, Rose or any player? They are all just 18-22 yrs old. Not sure age has anything to do with this conversation. This is simply about fandom for teams of NU which are made up of college students. Would it be more appropriate to get excited about John from Finance joining the Excelon Company Softball Team because he's 42?

Reactions: DaCat
Hey, let us bask in our glory upon hearing our alma mater beat out Kentucky to sign a teenager much younger than us. It makes my life a little more complete.

UK may have been going after to fill a roster spot rather than being a 25 min a game guy, but to fend off UK and UGA program building momentum in his home state is saying alot - especially after the dismal year NU had

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT