ADVERTISEMENT

LOL moment of Friday’s game

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Since the outcome was not in doubt at the time, the intentional grounding call was pretty funny. When the announcers said there was a flag on the play, they didn’t seem to have a clue as to what it was. Outside of the ref who threw the flag, I don’t think a single person watching the game had any thought that Johnson had grounded the ball, since he was clearly trying to hit a receiver (Kirtz?) who broke back instead of deep just as he released the ball. The other officials looked puzzled, but went along. I think he was outside the tackle box to boot, but didn’t bother to rewatch. Officials, I guess, have first games of the season, too.

Since the outcome was not in doubt at the time, the intentional grounding call was pretty funny. When the announcers said there was a flag on the play, they didn’t seem to have a clue as to what it was. Outside of the ref who threw the flag, I don’t think a single person watching the game had any thought that Johnson had grounded the ball, since he was clearly trying to hit a receiver (Kirtz?) who broke back instead of deep just as he released the ball. The other officials looked puzzled, but went along. I think he was outside the tackle box to boot, but didn’t bother to rewatch. Officials, I guess, have first games of the season, too.

As a long time HS football official, my guess here is that one official on the crew really pushed for enforcing the flag. Things happen fast on the football field, even for seasoned D1 officials, and every official has specific responsibilities that they focus on. The only official on the field who really has a pretty good look at the whole play is the back judge (behind the free safety).

So its possible that 1) none of them noticed the obvious miscommunication between our receiver and the QB. 2) one or more officials did notice, and didn't speak up. That happens too often.

The other, probably more likely option is that one of the more experienced officials on the crew is a by-the-book guy, and occasionally makes calls that are technically correct, but not proper for what actually happened on the field.

No way to know which is the right reason, but they sure bleeped up that play. Ugly.

Last edited:
A similar incident happened in tonight’s Louisville/Ole Miss game. Bill Lemmonier (former B10 referee) said that one of the 2021 points of emphasis for officials is to cease judging “intent”. If the QB throws the ball (from the pocket) and there is no receiver nearby, it’s grounding.

In case you’re wondering, no, Bill Lemmonier did not grasp the irony in officials not being asked to judge intent in a penalty called “intentional grounding.”

A similar incident happened in tonight’s Louisville/Ole Miss game. Bill Lemmonier (former B10 referee) said that one of the 2021 points of emphasis for officials is to cease judging “intent”. If the QB throws the ball (from the pocket) and there is no receiver nearby, it’s grounding.

In case you’re wondering, no, Bill Lemmonier did not grasp the irony in officials not being asked to judge intent in a penalty called “intentional grounding.”

There you go. I didn't realize its a point of emphasis in college this year. Its not in high school. So expect to see that call more often this year.

Every season before the first game (probably relatively early in camp), every college team has a meeting where a local D1 official comes to campus (maybe on zoom now, unless they do it after a team scrimmage with officials present) and explains this years points of emphasis, other rules, and takes questions.

So that call on Friday night did NOT catch Fitz and team by surprise.... its still a bad call, but the NCAA's rules committee apparently thinks otherwise now. Get used to it. We'll see it again.

Assigning the intent of actions but on superficial evidence always seems to lead to problems. It is one of the reasons our political discourse has become so toxic. We far too easily assume the worst in people.

So basically it is a penalty if a receiver runs the wrong route and the QB throws to it. I don't think that one is going to last long.

So basically it is a penalty if a receiver runs the wrong route and the QB throws to it. I don't think that one is going to last long.
Yeah, that, unfortunately, happens all too often. Should be - no pressure, no call for grounding. Why would any QB intentionally ground the ball if not under pressure?

Yeah, that, unfortunately, happens all too often. Should be - no pressure, no call for grounding. Why would any QB intentionally ground the ball if not under pressure?
Wonder if they will extend it to balls thrown out of the end zone (if still in the pocket).

Agree that this "point of emphasis" should be changed or de-emphasized.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Based upon the call Friday, this seems like something that might need to fall under further review.

There you go. I didn't realize its a point of emphasis in college this year. Its not in high school. So expect to see that call more often this year.

Every season before the first game (probably relatively early in camp), every college team has a meeting where a local D1 official comes to campus (maybe on zoom now, unless they do it after a team scrimmage with officials present) and explains this years points of emphasis, other rules, and takes questions.

So that call on Friday night did NOT catch Fitz and team by surprise.... its still a bad call, but the NCAA's rules committee apparently thinks otherwise now. Get used to it. We'll see it again.

Of course, taking it down the rabbit hole, what constitutes pressure? If a QB moves his feet as a lineman is approaching? If a tackler is at an arms’ length?
I have seen a lot questionable grounding calls the last few years, but few have involved a QB setting in the pocket and throwing downfield. What a strange point of emphasis!

Of course, taking it down the rabbit hole, what constitutes pressure? If a QB moves his feet as a lineman is approaching? If a tackler is at an arms’ length?
I have seen a lot questionable grounding calls the last few years, but few have involved a QB setting in the pocket and throwing downfield. What a strange point of emphasis!
It is a particularly strange point of emphasis when you consider all the changes that football has undergone to keep the QB safe. This emphasis seems to make it more dangerous to be a QB now.

The scoreboard operation on Friday night was a continuing LOL moment.
I'm surprised this was the first time it was mentioned on the board. It was a continuous source of humor where I sat. Hopefully the will improve along with the rest of the team.

The ref also waited a LONG time before throwing the flag. He thought long and hard about it; it was well after the play was over. One of the people near me speculated that he threw the flag after watching the replay on the video board, like he zoned out during the actual play and decided to throw the flag after watching the replay to cover his tracks.

If the game were in doubt, I would be livid. Whatever it was, it was incompetence.

It does not appear that the NCAA rulebook specifies that a player must be under pressure to commit an intentional grounding foul. It only says the pass must be thrown "to conserve time" or "to conserve yardage," though, which sounds a lot like judging the passer's intent. The only time I can think that a passer would be trying "to conserve yardage" would be if a sack was imminent.

(The NFL rulebook, on the other hand, does specify that a passer must be under pressure for intentional grounding to be called.)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I really find it hard to believe that the call that went against us Friday would be made against dOSU or any other blue blood to determine a game,whether it be a regular season which could cause a team to miss the playoffs,a playoff game or the national championship game.Would imagine this rule will be amended before too much time elapses.I hope anyway.Too much to put on the refs to make that type of call.If the game Friday was closer and it might have cost us the game this board would be livid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT