ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Perry is a goner

Re: I know every program has these things

It's a selection bias.

I would guess NU takes more students that don't need academic support to graduate. Michigan takes more students who are likely to have careers in the NFL.
So if you take a student like Perry and have him switch to UM, his chances of graduating will not be changed. He'll graduate or if he's super lucky, leave early for the NFL. I suspect the former but I wish him the best. He was very complimentary of NU and it's clear Michigan was his dream school for both football and academic reasons.

Re: I know every program has these things

Not only is it selection bias, but NU support and NU coaches are on the hook to get these kids to graduate. Fitz wants to maintain the highest grad rates possible for recruiting purposes. Kids that fall behind at all are HEAVILY supervised to make sure they catch up and graduate.

No program in the Big Ten makes graduation such a top priority for their students. Michigan grad rates are among the lowest in the conference, if not the lowest. You can try sweeping the difference under the rug by arguing it's selection bias, but it's a lot more than just having higher academic standards. It's a coaching and support staff that makes their graduation a top priority for the program (for recruiting purposes).

This post was edited on 2/8 9:11 PM by Gladeskat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT