ADVERTISEMENT

Lord Jesus, It’s a Beatdown

I’ve never seen us throttle a decent Big Ten team like what we just did to OSU. That was a wicked defensive performance, especially in the second half to get up to the 35 point lead. OSU was toast.
Not too often in basketball where you can see the light of hope just leave the opponents eyes with ten minutes to go as they accept their whipping and surrender. More of a football vibe. But we enjoyed it tonight.

I’ve never seen us throttle a decent Big Ten team like what we just did to OSU. That was a wicked defensive performance, especially in the second half to get up to the 35 point lead. OSU was toast.
Looking at the comments on Eleven Warriors, I’m not sure many Buckeye fans would agree with using “decent” to describe their team. There was also general disbelief and disgust that it happened against NU. There is no joy in Columbus, to say the least.

That was the most relaxed I've been at a conference game in recent memory. The only offense OSU had was stumbling into the defense and shooting free throws. I kept expecting Battle to get fired up, but he wilted and didn't really do anything.

On the other side, the Cats had six guys with at least ten points each. I like seeing that kind of offense.

Looking at the comments on Eleven Warriors, I’m not sure many Buckeye fans would agree with using “decent” to describe their team. There was also general disbelief and disgust that it happened against NU. There is no joy in Columbus, to say the least.
Yeah, I don't think they're very decent. They have one good win - a neutral site win over an Alabama team that can't play defense. They beat one of the worst UCLA teams in the last two decades and lost to a mediocre Texas A&M team at home. Their second-best win per kenpom is beating Minnesota by 10 at home.

Still, conference beatdowns delivered by the 'Cats are rare, especially against OSU, and I'll savor this one.

No joy in Columbus is a good thing. Bucks looked very disinterested and frankly so did their Head Coach.

Duh-OSU was ONE game W/L away from NU. Sure expected a lot more from them.

OTOH, most of us might have heard about the legendary NU conference-rout-W out there somewhere, but here it finally is. Wow.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Yeah, I don't think they're very decent. They have one good win - a neutral site win over an Alabama team that can't play defense. They beat one of the worst UCLA teams in the last two decades and lost to a mediocre Texas A&M team at home. Their second-best win per kenpom is beating Minnesota by 10 at home.

Still, conference beatdowns delivered by the 'Cats are rare, especially against OSU, and I'll savor this one.
Probably true re: OSU but their metrics are currently very strong so at this point they’re still considered “decent.”

And over the years, dOSU has been one of the hardest teams for us to deal with. Last time we had beaten them 2 in a row was back in 1967-1968

Reactions: pmacstl
Probably true re: OSU but their metrics are currently very strong so at this point they’re still considered “decent.”
On BTN last night, DeCourcey said NU's KenPom rating when up 9 spots I think just from that win

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
And Holtmann is ranked in Tier 3 (Collins - Tier 5).

Those rankings are about the worst work The Athletic has done.
Wasn't that article in the Athletic based entirely on a poll they conducted?
If so, all they did was report the consensus of whomever they polled.
Not sure I'd shoot the messenger.

Wasn't that article in the Athletic based entirely on a poll they conducted?
If so, all they did was report the consensus of whomever they polled.
Not sure I'd shoot the messenger.
They hold it out as their own research. They first came up with their own results and then ran it by a number of different types of folks (coaches, administrators, ex-players, and a “search firm head” among others). They still own it.

They hold it out as their own research. They first came up with their own results and then ran it by a number of different types of folks (coaches, administrators, ex-players, and a “search firm head” among others). They still own it.
I just read it.
They freely state that their list is more to provoke discussion than anything else.
They don't really explain the methodology they used - if there was one.
So they ranked a bunch of coaches and sought guidance from "experts" as to who was ranked incorrectly.
It doesn't mean much.

I just read it.
They freely state that their list is more to provoke discussion than anything else.
They don't really explain the methodology they used - if there was one.
So they ranked a bunch of coaches and sought guidance from "experts" as to who was ranked incorrectly.
It doesn't mean much.
That’s a reasonable assessment of their process, but if you like and respect The Athletic, which many, many do, then it’s treated as something meaningful. Many on this board discussed it as such when it was brought up months ago. I think it does Collins a total disservice, and his ranking relative to Holtmann’s is a prime example.

On BTN last night, DeCourcey said NU's KenPom rating when up 9 spots I think just from that win
And tonight he said that it went up 4 spots for the win against IL and 8 spots for the win over dOSU. And we are still only ranked 61st on one rating but on Strength of Record we are ranked 22nd. It is s screwed up system, Supposedly it also prevents a lot of substitutions because if you don't beat a team down it works against you, Likely why BB and company were still in the game rather than bench players getting a shot.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
osu coach may be gone next season with more losses like this. The thing is, on paper, osu is one of the most talented teams in the BIG. Nearly all of them were hs studs
Yes they have a number of talented guys but the squad is pretty young with the leaders being Sophs. It took NU getting the leadership guys being Seniors and Grads before they really began to gel

Reactions: Cataria
Now when can we do it to their FB team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT