ADVERTISEMENT

Losses to #3 and #4

FanatiCat

May 29, 2001
It seems like a better season than 5-4 although I wouldn't have said that early on. Bad loss to Akron. Extremely frustrating. Inept loss to Duke, though they are a pretty decent team.

We lost to #3 ND and of note we are the ONLY team that has been within a field goal of them in the last 5 minutes of the game.
We lost to #4 Mich and (aside from their loss to #3 ND) of note we are the ONLY team to lead them in the 4th quarter, much less the only team to come within 2 TDs of beating them.

If we hadn't lost Larkin that week, or perhaps If we had used Bowser instead of our other backs, I think we would've been able to keep get some first downs going and burn clock to keep UM from eventually catching up in the 4th quarter.

It seems like a better season than 5-4 although I wouldn't have said that early on. Bad loss to Akron. Extremely frustrating. Inept loss to Duke, though they are a pretty decent team.

We lost to #3 ND and of note we are the ONLY team that has been within a field goal of them in the last 5 minutes of the game.
We lost to #4 Mich and (aside from their loss to #3 ND) of note we are the ONLY team to lead them in the 4th quarter, much less the only team to come within 2 TDs of beating them.

If we hadn't lost Larkin that week, or perhaps If we had used Bowser instead of our other backs, I think we would've been able to keep get some first downs going and burn clock to keep UM from eventually catching up in the 4th quarter.
Yeah. ND and Michigan are really good teams.

Not sure anybody expected them to be this good.

I had Michigan State as our hardest game before the season and Wisconsin 2nd hardest.

We won those two but Michigan and ND are much better than expected, not just mid top25 teams but legit playoff contenders.

As far as Duke goes, they beat us the same way two straight years: dominant in trenches and tons of Jones. Cutcliffe is a good coach. I was nervous about that game due to last year's results and it played out nearly the same.

Akron... is just one of those that happens.

On the whole 3 understandable losses in a year where we have command of the west.
So far things are on track for us. Win 2 of last 3 and then we face the biggest test of all.

Reactions: NJCat
Yeah. ND and Michigan are really good teams.

Not sure anybody expected them to be this good.

I had Michigan State as our hardest game before the season and Wisconsin 2nd hardest.

We won those two but Michigan and ND are much better than expected, not just mid top25 teams but legit playoff contenders.

As far as Duke goes, they beat us the same way two straight years: dominant in trenches and tons of Jones. Cutcliffe is a good coach. I was nervous about that game due to last year's results and it played out nearly the same.

Akron... is just one of those that happens.

On the whole 3 understandable losses in a year where we have command of the west.
So far things are on track for us. Win 2 of last 3 and then we face the biggest test of all.
All true.

Also shows the gulf between #1-2 and 3+.

I have no misconception that we’d lose by 4+ TDs to Bama.
We’d also lose by that much to a Clemson unless Hunter could reproduce their offensive and defensive playbooks by photographic memory. Then we’d only lose by 10 or so.

If we had won those two games, we'd be 7-2 and still the same team. We consistently (pretty much every season) lose a game or two we shouldn't, and that is why so many people have a hard time taking us seriously. I think that is reasonable. We have to learn to win those games, and keep winning the crazy way we have in the Big Ten over the past two seasons! In the meantime, let's flush those games and finish strong!

If we had won those two games, we'd be 7-2 and still the same team. We consistently (pretty much every season) lose a game or two we shouldn't, and that is why so many people have a hard time taking us seriously. I think that is reasonable. We have to learn to win those games, and keep winning the crazy way we have in the Big Ten over the past two seasons! In the meantime, let's flush those games and finish strong!
It's deja vu all over again...and again...and again. We do this every year, lose when we should win and come close to beating the top teams, but stay close. Too many ifs, not enough ways to keep the lead. While Akron was a mirage, Michigan was clearly winnable...again. Some day we will be the team we can be, but until then, let's get to Io_a and play our "A" game..

With those terrible loses ,NU still has to win one of the remaining three games to qualify for a low tier bowl. early loses to mid majors DO matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT