ADVERTISEMENT

Lou, How About a Story on TJ Green?

corbi296

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2005
Still some work to do on the recruiting front with this kid. According to stories online, he is planning on choosing between preferred walkon offers from us, Stanford and Nebraska within the next week. While he would come in as a preferred walkon, this kid has the potential to be much more than that. The QB led Kansas City Rockhurst HS to second place in the Missouri State HS tournament and in so doing was named the Gatorade player of the year in the state of Missouri. The son of former NFL QB Trent Green, this kid is a late bloomer who emerged during his senior year. Lack of prototypical size is his major drawback but given that his father was 6"3 and 205 lbs in his playing days and considering TJ will only turn 18 next August, it seems plausible to think this kid still has some growing to do. I think this kid would be a big get for us and add needed depth to the QB depth chart.

This post was edited on 2/8 6:22 AM by corbi296

TJ Green Story

The link has me sold. To bad the kid got into school early. If he had been held out one more year he would just be a Senior coming up and have one more critical year to develop. Being the youngest in your class has it's disadvantages especially for a boy.

Could a kid like that go to a college prep school or have some kid of gap year? He would have to be ale to play football at a fairly competitive level to advance, so I dont know where he would do that.

He absolutely could go the prep route if he so desired. Ginny Testaverde is a classic example of this scenario as he spent a year at Fork Union before heading to Miami.

Originally posted by Deeringfish:
The link has me sold. To bad the kid got into school early. If he had been held out one more year he would just be a Senior coming up and have one more critical year to develop. Being the youngest in your class has it's disadvantages especially for a boy.

Could a kid like that go to a college prep school or have some kid of gap year? He would have to be ale to play football at a fairly competitive level to advance, so I dont know where he would do that.
His age was normal when I went to school. I was 17 when I started practice at NU my freshman year. He could go to prep school on his own dime.

This post was edited on 2/8 8:53 AM by Gladeskat

It isn't unrealistic to assume there are a couple of inches left add to his 6'1" frame for more than the ideal prototypical B1G quarterback. And his dad has probably ingrained NFL quality technique and decision-making skills in him from an early age. I sure hope NU - that is, Northwestern and not Nebraska - is making a strong run at him to commit as a preferred walk-on.

His Hudl tape looks good. Definitely love to give him a walk-on spot. My big concern is do we want a pro-style QB? I don't see him running zone reads and sprint options so does he fit the offense?

TJ Green

You can't Coach Heart and that along with his football IQ will make him a factor in the future. Hopefully in Evanston.

Russell Wilson is only 5-11 and he has done pretty well at both the college and NFL levels.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Wilson is a good runner, though. Green's comments indicates that he really doesn't want to scramble. A pure drop back passer isn't likely to do well at NU as we don't often get NFL quality linemen to protect the QB.

The kid can run enough. He's not Colter but he is more mobile than Trevor.

Seattle, I thought he is listed at 6-1 and Persa at around 6-0 and Colter who was a bit shorter also seemed to be able to compete in the Big Ten. The clips actually showed him scrambling and running quite a bit but didn't seem to indicate what his arm strength is like. BTW, who is #17? he catches everything.

Originally posted by willycat:

Seattle, I thought he is listed at 6-1 and Persa at around 6-0 and Colter who was a bit shorter also seemed to be able to compete in the Big Ten. The clips actually showed him scrambling and running quite a bit but didn't seem to indicate what his arm strength is like. BTW, who is #17? he catches everything.
That's what I was trying to say, he is tall enuf.

#17 is Will Bazzle, who's signed to Pittsburg State (extremely good D-II program).

I still feel like we are missing something on TJ. If he hasn't gotten offers with that pedigree coming from that program (not even at the MAC or Sun Belt level), then something is up. It's not for lack of scouting -- Rockhurst is a "must stop" for any coach in Missouri and they've got two BCS caliber 2016 recruits.

Had an offer from NIU but did not even consider it because of academics. I agree though that it is puzzling he doesn't have more.

He never mentioned the NIU offer in the article you posted earlier.

And I never really said it was puzzling. He's an undersized kid who may or may not hit a growth spurt. His arm strength is just OK and coaches are likely worried that he's too close to his developmental ceiling given the coaching he's had to date. He could use a year at a prep school to physically develop for another year.

This post was edited on 2/8 5:44 PM by gocatsgo2003

That's nice. Also seems like he would have mentioned his only two FBS-level offers in a story where he mentioned NDSU if those offers still stood.

It is in the range for normal. I'm not a big guy and was the youngest and smallest in my class. Even as a sophomore in Highschool I was the smallest person in a highschool of 2500 students. I always felt I was trying to keep up. I have often wondered how my life might have been different if I had been a year older. I grew 6 inches my Jr year but that was too late for sports. So my opinion is skewed by my experience.

This post was edited on 2/9 9:27 AM by Deeringfish

Thanks gcg, is it because of Bazzle's lack of speed or size? I'm also wondering why no offers of consequence for Green and agree that he didn't show a lot of down field arm strength. Maybe a year at a Prep school would be best for him although a redshirt year at NU may be equal for his growth.

I posted this before...the biggest athletes (size and scholarshipwise) in my high school class were all the youngest guys in our class. We (I fit the criteria, though I was the least athletic of the bunch) all started college just before turning 18. One particularly precocious guy started at MLB for Syracuse for an entire season as a 17 years old. I wonder what we would have been like if we started school a year later than we did.

That's interesting. You may have been pushed ahead because of your size. Just think what a giant you would have been on the field as a senior in High school. No Wheaton college for you.

Awesome! Always room for a capable QB on the roster, especially in a walk-on role. Hopefully he does hit that growth spurt and continues to develop -- with any luck, he could turn into a contributor of his development takes the right course.

That's interesting. You may have been pushed ahead because of your size. Just think what a giant you would have been on the field as a senior in High school. No Wheaton college for you.
It was just by chance. The youngest was a 6'2" 225 stud as a freshman in high school, he was all conference as a sophomore..

I still would have ended up at Wheaton College or elsewhere. I didn't transfer because of football, or size/maturity issues, or any lack of enough playing time at NU. Football played no part in my decision to transfer.

This post was edited on 2/9 11:08 PM by Gladeskat

Here you go, Corbi...

Northwestern beat out Stanford and Nebraska for Class of 2015 preferred walkon quarterback T.J. Green.

NU lands Green

That's great news! You know, one of the things that struck me while watching T.J. Greens tape, his offensive line did not really give him much time in the pocket, and hardly any play showed him fully set up in the pocket. He seemed to be running for his life everywhere. Here is a committed and driven young man. Whomever it may be that emerges as the QB in his class year, may our offensive line give him a chance to complete some throws down field.

Nice get. I watched his tape and saw more arm, mobility, and accuracy than I would expect from a walk-on. The offense he ran used a lot of rollouts and moving pockets, assuredly to improve his downfield vision. He is not fast, but very agile. For few moments he looked like Fran Tarkenton with his crazy scrambles.

Rockhurst is a major program so Green played good competition. It's puzzling he did not have more offers. He beat out Drew Locke for all-state team!

Here is a good story on Green.

This post was edited on 2/10 12:27 AM by Hungry Jack

This post was edited on 2/10 5:43 AM by Hungry Jack

This post was edited on 2/10 5:44 AM by Hungry Jack

This post was edited on 2/10 9:29 AM by Hungry Jack

Actually, I thought you went to Wheaton first and transferred to NU. I guess that doesn't really make any sense though but, based on your great love of the school neither does transferring to Wheaton.
wink.r191677.gif
I almost transferred to Wheaton in fall or 75 but I didn't want to sign the pledge. The rules seemed like an artificial way to have faith and I liked dancing too much.

He's selling himself short. Bet he has 5 years at NU, not 4..............................

Originally posted by Gladeskat:
I posted this before...the biggest athletes (size and scholarshipwise) in my high school class were all the youngest guys in our class. We (I fit the criteria, though I was the least athletic of the bunch) all started college just before turning 18. One particularly precocious guy started at MLB for Syracuse for an entire season as a 17 years old. I wonder what we would have been like if we started school a year later than we did.
Not sure it happens any more; but, back in the 70's, a friend of mine moved to Atlanta and was amazed that some kids were held back in 8th grade so they would be a little bigger and faster when they entered high school.

Originally posted by Lou V:

Here you go, Corbi...

Northwestern beat out Stanford and Nebraska for Class of 2015 preferred walkon quarterback T.J. Green.
Thanks for the insight - prior to reading, I was totally confused - preferred walk-on offers at top schools but no actual offers, not even from the MAC?

I love that he's interested in the academics and wasn't interested in playing beneath the P5 level. No idea if he'll ever contribute on the field but this is exactly the kind of player that gives me confidence that the right attitudes are in the locker room keeping everyone at the top of their game.

Actually, I thought you went to Wheaton first and transferred to NU. I guess that doesn't really make any sense though but, based on your great love of the school neither does transferring to Wheaton.
wink.r191677.gif
I almost transferred to Wheaton in fall or 75 but I didn't want to sign the pledge. The rules seemed like an artificial way to have faith and I liked dancing too much.
The pledge removes distracting influences from the Wheaton experience. Most of my friends there occasionally broke the pledge anyway (drinking). Yes, dancing was missed...the pledge has been changed to allow dancing now. When I was there, they used to have huge square dances! Believe it or not, it was a lot of fun. Wheaton was a fun school to attend, lots of creative fun and rowdiness, though many here would find that hard to believe.

wink.r191677.gif
The pledge removes distracting influences from the Wheaton experience. Most of my friends there occasionally broke the pledge anyway (drinking). Yes, dancing was missed...the pledge has been changed to allow dancing now. When I was there, they used to have huge square dances! Believe it or not, it was a lot of fun. Wheaton was a fun school to attend, lots of creative fun and rowdiness, though many here would find that hard to believe.
As much as I love my beer and especially Beefeaters Martini's on the rocks, Alcohol enhanced fun is lazy fun.

Glad the 'Cats landed this kid.

While highlight films don't show the complete picture, like what I saw.

Green is mobile enough to move around the pocket and pass while rolling out and seems to have fairly decent arm strength and accuracy.

Less athletic QBs who look to set up the pass with their feet tend to have a better track record than faster QBs who tend to tuck it and run.

If Fitz hadn't run out of schollies - this would have been a good offer.

Think Fitz is glad that he's not running the risk of another Garappolo (whose best offer was Eastern Illinois).

wink.r191677.gif
As much as I love my beer and especially Beefeaters Martini's on the rocks, Alcohol enhanced fun is lazy fun.
It's not as much fun as inter-dormitory pillow fight and water balloon wars, wars against the campus police, inter-dormitory biological warfare (release fruit flies and hide jars of fruit fly medium) and other forms of harassment, the craziness of campus political campaigns complete with parades, marching bands, Cadillac convertibles surrounded by pseudo-secret service agents guarding the candidate, water balloon assassination attempts on the candidates, throwing jello at candidates as they march through the dining hall on a chair held aloft on the shoulders of others (like the pharoah or something), moving cars into the middle of chapel, moving cars into the middle of the swim coaches office, and moving cars into a dozen other inappropriate locations, stacking tires on top of the Edman Chapel spire, driving dorm people nuts by playing "Having My Baby" endlessly for hours, and, well...you get the idea.

Wheaton college car prank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOSaGvMchEU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT