ADVERTISEMENT

Love this. Dissension among the Blue

Many people on this board thought that Harbaugh would leave Michigan for greener pastures. He may get run out of town on a rail instead.

Reactions: NUCat320
He spoke like a reactive, nutcase anonymous message board poster instead of a professional working for BTN. He’ll be lucky if he keeps his job. There’s enough negative, moronic blowhards already in sports journalism. I don’t want BTN to catch the virus.

Problem is, people like Braylon Edwards aren't really journalists in the first place. There are many ex-athletes who become good broadcasters and/or journalists. Some of them major in journalism in college and their sports experience can be an advantage in analyzing the finer points of the game. But some guys are just stuck in there as broadcasters/journalists because someone wants to put an ex-player in the booth. They become part of what Howard Cosell memorably used to call the "jockocracy."

And gotta say, I'm not a big Harbaugh fan, but he responded in the right manner in this instance.

Reactions: Aging Booster
Problem is, people like Braylon Edwards aren't really journalists in the first place. There are many ex-athletes who become good broadcasters and/or journalists. Some of them major in journalism in college and their sports experience can be an advantage in analyzing the finer points of the game. But some guys are just stuck in there as broadcasters/journalists because someone wants to put an ex-player in the booth. They become part of what Howard Cosell memorably used to call the "jockocracy."

And gotta say, I'm not a big Harbaugh fan, but he responded in the right manner in this instance.
Well said!

Many people on this board thought that Harbaugh would leave Michigan for greener pastures. He may get run out of town on a rail instead.

Harbaugh doesn’t run for greener pastures. He wears out his welcome, usually in four years.

(This is year four in Ann Arbor. If he’s back in 2019, that will be the longest single stop in his head coaching career.)

I don't get any joy in others having struggles, but Edwards critical remarks are more factual than not. Passionate guy, yes. Michigan didn't look solid on the lines, period. ND was very good, give them credit.

I don't get any joy in others having struggles, but Edwards critical remarks are more factual than not.

Those “factual” comments are subjective, knee-jerk reactions from a homer after a single game. One who has no understanding of what it means to be a professional. The BTN can do so much better. Heck, most of the guys that play/played for NU would be a better choice, whether they’ve take journalism classes or not.

Those “factual” comments are subjective, knee-jerk reactions from a homer after a single game. One who has no understanding of what it means to be a professional. The BTN can do so much better. Heck, most of the guys that play/played for NU would be a better choice, whether they’ve take journalism classes or not.

9-9 over the last 18 isn’t gonna cut it for Jim Moneybags.

9-9 over the last 18 isn’t gonna cut it for Jim Moneybags.

And “Ruiz is weak, line is weak, Shea is scared, f—ing Michigan offense is so predictable…. Michigan football is sadly one thing… Trash,” isn’t going to cut it as a legitimate sports journalist. Ironically, it was his commentary that was “trash”, and he rightfully got suspended for it.

And “Ruiz is weak, line is weak, Shea is scared, f—ing Michigan offense is so predictable…. Michigan football is sadly one thing… Trash,” isn’t going to cut it as a legitimate sports journalist. Ironically, it was his commentary that was “trash”, and he rightfully got suspended for it.

If they wanted a “legitimate sports journalist,” they shouldn’t have hired Edwards in the first place.

I'm looking forward to seeing a wonderful meltdown by Go Blue. MOAR!

He called out two specific players by name in insulting terms. Crossed a line.

And he called an entire program that he covers for BTN "trash". How does one do commentary about Michigan after that? Dumb.

And he called an entire program that he covers for BTN "trash". How does one do commentary about Michigan after that? Dumb.

And to top it off, it was the program where he played! It's as if Baz or one of our other former players went on the BTN and trashed Northwestern. Just a no-class thing to do.

If one of our grads had done that on BTN, say, insulting Fitz in vulgar terms, we'd be outraged. After all, that's OUR job!

He’s a former player and current journalist. The only context in which he’s a fan is in his private interactions.

Hopefully he understands that now. It’s abdurd that he didn’t before, but perhaps that’s on BTN management.

@VirginiaWildcat has got it right.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
And to top it off, it was the program where he played! It's as if Baz or one of our other former players went on the BTN and trashed Northwestern. Just a no-class thing to do.

There's another dynamic at play here. Edwards was with the 49ers when Harbaugh was the coach and he was cut there.

I heard several of his fellow alums say the same stuff (although they were more down on Runyon than Ruiz) on a text thread during the game. It was typical fan frustration, but not appropriate from a BTN commentator. Harbaugh was right to defend his players but wrong to refer to this as an attack on the players's characters. "Weak" and "scared' are not descriptive of character.

I heard several of his fellow alums say the same stuff (although they were more down on Runyon than Ruiz) on a text thread during the game. It was typical fan frustration, but not appropriate from a BTN commentator. Harbaugh was right to defend his players but wrong to refer to this as an attack on the players's characters. "Weak" and "scared' are not descriptive of character.

I would say the term "scared" as if to say a player is scared to perform in the spotlight is very much descriptive of character for a football player. It implies undue nervousness, timidness or fear — not the type of traits you'd want in a teammate when you're playing Division I football. He was basically saying Patterson didn't have the stones to perform on a big stage.

Braylon is not the only former Michigan player that is not professional with his comments. Desmond Howard is a big homer on ESPN Game Day and Jalen Rose is the same way as well.

I would say the term "scared" as if to say a player is scared to perform in the spotlight is very much descriptive of character for a football player. It implies undue nervousness, timidness or fear — not the type of traits you'd want in a teammate when you're playing Division I football. He was basically saying Patterson didn't have the stones to perform on a big stage.
That's not how I read it. He was talking about the ineffective O-line. I read it as saying that Patterson was running for his life out there. Many good Wildcat fans on this board have said the same things about NU QBs over the years without impugning their characters at all.

Maybe you're right. I'm not in Braylon Edwards' head (thank goodness), but in context I think he was talking about protection, not timidness.

Most definitely. It’ll be interesting to see if he’s brought back.
I am wondering that, too. I would say that it should not be a fireable offense but then he seemed to double down on it. If he had just made a "heat of the moment" mea culpa, all would probably be forgiven.

We will just have to wait and see.

Braylon is not the only former Michigan player that is not professional with his comments. Desmond Howard is a big homer on ESPN Game Day and Jalen Rose is the same way as well.
But Desmond Howard does it tongue-in-cheek. It is sort of like Spurrier when he voted in the coaches' pre-season poll always put Duke in. Howard openly being a homer against all reason or visual evidence is somewhat entertaining and harmless. Attacking individual players is not harmless.

Washington is refusing to allow an ESPN commentator (Mark Jones) to call any of their games for the rest of the season because he made a joke about UW's cupcake OOC schedules of previous years. This makes UW look prickly and entitled. The guy was much more insulting to the teams that Washington played than he was to Washington. (Rutgers was on the list).

Petersen is coming off looking like a crybaby.

https://sports.yahoo.com/espns-mark...ng-latest-shot-huskies-twitter-232450737.html

Humor belongs in sports. It's a game. Vicious attacks on 18-23 years olds does not.

Last edited:
"Weak" and "scared' are not descriptive of character.
Then what are they descriptive of? Their fashion sense?

What he wrote was descriptive of character. What he meant is anyone's guess. But we cannot know what he meant. Only what he actually said.

I don't condone his comments. But in the context of Michigan football, it's a beautiful thing to watch from the sidelines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT