ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Washington AA

Malik was named a 2nd team All America . He led the nation in receptions/game and was 3rd in yardage with over 1400 yards
Great work Malik! NU is proud of you.

I see he is listed as a mid-round pick right now but some of the generic scouting services. Hopefully that gets revised up to day 2 given his performance this season. The player card I saw had him at a 4.54 40, I thought he seemed a bit faster than that? His combine performance might be important, because aside from that I think he's got all the intangibles. Well, minus the height - but he profiles as an NFL slot receiver so hands and route running are just as / more important than height.

Reactions: Hkjb
good for him..he took some big hits, made some great catches for NU...also had to do a lot of blocking for a couple of inept offenses. Never know what to make out of those couple of awful offensive years...qb, line, coaching...but I am thinking it was not the talent of the receivers.

Malik Washington's season for Virginia serves as "Exhibit A" for NU's offensive woes.
110 receptions. 1426 yards. 9 TDs.
Pretty sure that 110 receptions would have been an NU single-season record.

But he was also consistent, registering between 95 and 175 receiving yards in 11 of Virginia's 12 games.

Admittedly, Virginia threw the ball and wasn't a good team, but if you combine Malik's 2 years as a starter at NU...
he had 109 receptions. 1272 yards. 3 TDs.

Malik Washington's season for Virginia serves as "Exhibit A" for NU's offensive woes.
110 receptions. 1426 yards. 9 TDs.
Pretty sure that 110 receptions would have been an NU single-season record.

But he was also consistent, registering between 95 and 175 receiving yards in 11 of Virginia's 12 games.

Admittedly, Virginia threw the ball and wasn't a good team, but if you combine Malik's 2 years as a starter at NU...
he had 109 receptions. 1272 yards. 3 TDs.
His season would be a record at most schools. What his success shows me is, even if you factor a run heavy offense and tougher opposing defense, his season pokes holes in the hypothesis that our receiver talent was low and they didn't know how to run routes and get open. He was a favorite of mine here, but he was no Austin Carr. Dare we say he was coached better at UVA?

Reactions: drewjin and Hkjb
I remember Washington having a very strong game in the otherwise ugly performance against Illinois in 2022. He probably left partly because he didn't know who the quarterback would be in 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT