ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness Game Thread: Northwestern vs. FAU

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
No. 9 Northwestern (21-11, 12-8 Big Ten) plays No. 8 Florida Atlantic (25-8, 14-4 AAC) in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament at 11:15 am CT, airing on CBS.

The Wildcats are in the East Region and today's game will be played at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Just gonna throw this out there because the game starts in 10 minutes.
Since Nicholson got hurt, here are the primary lineups we have used in the last 3 games...

CenterPFSFSGPGMinsNU PtsOpp PtsNU PaceOpp Pace
PrestonMartBarneyLangborgBuie2945416256
HungerMartBarneyLangborgBuie3557566564
MartBarneySmithLangborgBuie1419205356
HungerBarneySmithLangborgBuie522818266
PrestonMartBarneySmithBuie7191510886
HungerMartBarneyMullinsBuie5775757
HungerMartBarneySmithBuie118223083

Martinelli has played better with Preston...

Whoever makes their threes wins this game. And I don't want Hunger and Martinelli shooting them. Barney and Langbord need to step up on O, Langborg can get to the hoop.

Reactions: NUinIowafan
Mart and Borg are combined 1-7. Borg has missed two straight threes in the flow, including one on a set play.

I contend that two from Mart, Borg, Brooks need to shoot well to win. Boo will get his soon, I hope.

Reactions: NUinIowafan
Let’s see if NU can get a few freebies at the line now that they’re in the bonus the final four mins.

I’m happy that C-State had their 11-point (?) first half yesterday.

Smith is awesome. Offensive board and a one-on-one stop in transition. He’s the best Cat so far.

Marty can't make any shot even those really close ones that he makes all the time. We just need one guy to get hot the way things are going now. Six field goals on 30 attempts that is amazingly bad.

Reactions: 2388bb
My favorite number is 8 steals for Northwestern in the first half. This 20-point first half performance has not been “careless with the ball as they’ve turned it over 12 times.” The story is “FAU has had no open space in the court, and of course they’re missing or losing the ball.”

If Martinelli can’t shoot better, Smith’s gotta get his minutes. Hunger has to accept that the shops aren’t falling and think like a facilitator. NU’s only got six turnovers. It’s been misses — that’s jitters.

Maybe playing hard defense, letting Brooks cook, and a few floaters that fall in instead of out for Boo will be enough.

NU looks like a better team to my purple-shaded eyes.

Both teams with season lows for the first half!

Hope CCC has some magic words to get the team to make their shots. Worse than against UW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT