ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness Game Thread: Northwestern vs. FAU

Buie, Langborg, Mart and Hunger are a combined 4 for 23.

When the Russian is on the bench, we have to go inside to Mart and Barney, even Hunger.
When the Russian is playing, Hunger HAS TO MAKE A 3 to open it up inside.
They aren't guarding him at the arc.

If he can't make one, go with Preston.

My favorite number is 8 steals for Northwestern in the first half. This 20-point first half performance has not been “careless with the ball as they’ve turned it over 12 times.” The story is “FAU has had no open space in the court, and of course they’re missing or losing the ball.”

If Martinelli can’t shoot better, Smith’s gotta get his minutes. Hunger has to accept that the shops aren’t falling and think like a facilitator. NU’s only got six turnovers. It’s been misses — that’s jitters.

Maybe playing hard defense, letting Brooks cook, and a few floaters that fall in instead of out for Boo will be enough.

NU looks like a better team to my purple-shaded eyes.
This is the type of game that someone like Langborg has to get a little hot and the team will follow. Hopefully the nerves are done and the team can make shots in the second half.

Uncharacteristically missing shots around the rim… Marty, Buie, Hunger…

Bad news, good news… we’re down by one at the half because Buie only has 3 points.. good news is he only has 3 points and we’re only down by one. Big second half coming up!

Yeah, everyone missed a lot of open looks in the first half. I can only chalk it up to jitters. Defense has been great. FAU has really be collapsing on Boo and pushing hard to keep Brooks out as well.

That jump ball with Brooks was weird to me. I guess I don't know the rules well enough. I could have called a simple block, a foul on the defender, or a jump ball.

Davis seems like the only player on either team with some offense. NU defense was stellar, but stopping him was still a bit of a problem. We've definitely got to score better because he'll want to take over the second half.

If you didn't know any better you'd think both teams are playing their first game in the NCAA tournament.

Cmon guys, get it together, you know how to make shots, layups and snag rebounds.

As Nike says - JUST DO IT!

Reactions: drewjin
Preston has meathooks for hands today. Brooks got him right in his palms for a dunk and he didn’t even react until after the ball was gone

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
Buie leading the way with 16 points now, 13 so far in the second half! Keep it up!!!

Preston just needs to turn around and dunk it for 11 pt lead .... and now up 4

Talk sh** all you want about Hunger, Preston has made a lot more mistakes on defense. Greatly responsible for evaporating a solid lead

Talk a bit about overacting, as big boy 50 fails and goes to the ground, he clutches the wrong side of his face.

That flagrant call rescued FAU.

Maybe it was the right call, but it was huge. The 'Cats were about to put it away.

Reactions: Darren72
10 minutes ago I was a calm dude looking forward to us putting this game away.
Shots got to fall now.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
Refs should not make game changing calls like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT