ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness Game Thread: Northwestern vs. UConn

UConn even min-maxxing the few seconds off the inbound to deny NU a short possession. I feel like I see teams miss out on easy two for one opportunities at the end of the first half constantly, but UConn is just that clean. Beyond impressive.
Yeah. This was always the danger of landing on the 8/9 line, and we happened to draw the best team in the entire tournament as our 1 seed. Getting smoked was always the likely outcome shorthanded…

It was a successful year nonetheless. Super proud of how they rallied at the end of the season to stay in the tournament field despite injuries, and thrilled we got the win against FAU. Here’s hoping our guys can come out, play loose and go out swinging.

I’m 11 rows from courtside. Yes, they are playing physical. NU is too at times. They are just at a different level that Boo can’t so easily overcome.

Simply put Boo and Brooks can’t shoot 0-for-14 and Langborg have just one shot. It’s not a winning formula. Oh, and miss every 3-point attempt.

Nothing went right that half. Nothing.

Reactions: DaCat
Listening on WGN. I heard Dave or Billy say Barnhizer is playing with a sprained ankle, which is throwing his shot off. Any truth to that?
I didn’t want to say anything but Boo looked like he was playing hurt against FAU. Very tentative and not himself in the first half.

It may be from the BTT game. We’ll see what comes out after the game.

I am not going to hate on our guys, it’s been a rough first half but hopefully we’ll make a run in the second half. The freaking refs missed some calls early on and the game got away from us. Barney can’t make anything, Boo got hacked constantly and our offense was non-existent.

Reactions: NU Houston
Connecticut looks like a professional team. Their guards are quick and this is affecting Boo who is good but they are also bumping him and not calling that to get him out of rhyyhm. We miss Big Matt here as Clingan is so big and very skilled and we don't have anyone to match his size. Connecticut looks like they will repeat as National Champions.

Shooting 0-8 for three points isn’t cutting it, 8-31 overall 25.8% won’t win many games let alone against the no.1 team in the country. I want to see a strong second half and the boys to hold their heads high.

Listening on WGN. I heard Dave or Billy say Barnhizer is playing with a sprained ankle, which is throwing his shot off. Any truth to that?
He looked gimpy after going up to contest a shot earlier. Not sure if that’s when it happened or if it’s just the first time I noticed it.

Clingan is three blocks from a triple-double, though maybe he took that one off the backboard??

Barnhizer is the only player not overpowered physically by an opponent. Of course, whoever Spencer is on won’t be. But you can switch and all and Barnhizer is ok against whoever. Not because of speed but because he’s strong and uses his body well. Unfortunately, he’s also playing on a bad foot.

Compare this to Purdue, who we also can't possibly keep from scoring 80. Like UConn we have to hope we are dialed in and can score. Well at least against Purdue we are not physically inferior in the back court.

Anyway, I love this team. My all-time favorite NU team.

Clingan is three blocks from a triple-double, though maybe he took that one off the backboard??
On replay it was clean. We’re doing a little better scoring this half but we aren’t stopping them at all.

Barnhizer is the only player not overpowered physically by an opponent. Of course, whoever Spencer is on won’t be. But you can switch and all and Barnhizer is ok against whoever. Not because of speed but because he’s strong and uses his body well. Unfortunately, he’s also playing on a bad foot.

Compare this to Purdue, who we also can't possibly keep from scoring 80. Like UConn we have to hope we are dialed in and can score. Well at least against Purdue we are not physically inferior in the back court.

Anyway, I love this team. My all-time favorite NU team.
Love the last line of your post Gato. I love this team too, so much heart. We have proven that we belong in the Big Dance. It’s a big step from here to the Sweet 16. We keep grinding and we will get there.

Only 4 turnovers despite their intense D, but just bad shooting

Love the last line of your post Gato. I love this team too, so much heart. We have proven that we belong in the Big Dance. It’s a big step from here to the Sweet 16. We keep grinding and we will get there.
It’s only a big step because we keep ending up facing top notch teams in the second round.

We were an injury or two away from at least a Sweet 16 bid (I’m assuming we’d have gotten a better seed with more wins).

No shame at all. Friday was pure bliss for me. Boo & crew have redeemed NU basketball. Thank you all!

Literally triple teaming Boo because why not. Everybody packing the perimeter because they know we can't score at the rim anyway.

When Luke Hunger is our leading scorer, you know it's not our night

At least Boo won’t end with the worst worst worst shooting night of his career. (He’s now 2-13. His worst is 1-9, three times, it appears.)

Go Cats Go

At least Boo won’t end with the worst worst worst shooting night of his career. (He’s now 2-13. His worst is 1-9, three times, it appears.)

Go Cats Go
I’m fairly confident he’s playing hurt.

Clingan’s much better defensively than Edey.

We’re losing but these refs are ****ing trash. It’s quite possibly the worst called game we’ve had all year. Two completely different games they’re calling.

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT