ADVERTISEMENT

McCall called out by TG

I actually think there is some plausibility to this assertion in the wake of Ohio State. I was expecting annihilation on the LOS, but there was some pretty good run blocking in there. Vogel got schooled on that sack on the first drive, but I think the pass pro was good enough, and better than expected. That OSU front four is probably all NFL material.

In all, OSU had 1 sack and 5 TFLs. We actually held the ball for 33 minutes. I know stats are for losers, but evidence suggests that we did not lose the battle of the LOS on offense (on defense, the run coverage was good save for two plays, but we could not get ANY pressure on Fields). Ultimately, the difference was in playmakers.

The Cats' line did reasonably well. I daresay they are getting better.

You’re citing time of possession in a blowout loss? The other team scored on several explosion plays and got that gift on the punt miscue. That’s why they didn’t dominate TOP as they dominated the scoreboard.

@gocatsgo2003 - you may be closest to answer this, if you feel comfortable.

Understood that a lot of Fitz's loyalty comes from coaches stepping up when he took over this program as a young pup and getting him through the crisis and learning how to be a head coach. At a minimum, I know Hank is in that boat (Fitz did a talk for us on crisis leadership a while back and spoke a lot about Hank). Does he have the same (parent-like) relationship with McCall?

Don’t think there’s any “parent like” relationship on either front.

You must not be paying attention to our recruiting last year and this year and to the change in the OL coach. Improving the offense has been priority #1 since the end of the 2017 season. Last year we brought in our most highly recruited WRs and OLs in many years and this year our recruits at those two positions seemingly exceed last year's talent. This year, for the first time since CT committed, we also earned a commitment from our first choice at QB, a tremendous RB prospect, and two TEs. The strength of this class is on the offensive side of the ball. The coaches have prioritized offense in the last two classes, especially OLs. The hiring of Anderson, even before Cushing was let go, indicates the importance that Fitz put on that position - and it has paid off. Granted, the pay off has not been seen on the field this year - it takes time to build an OL and a good OL is the key to a good offense. I agree that we have had struggles on offense for some time; but, I attribute all of that to our OL. It is why even avid Fitz supporters like myself had been pleading with people in the athletic department to change OL coaches. The fix will not happen overnight, but it will happen - and McCall will be here to engineer it. Just wait and see. Once again, patience!
We've been being patient now for ten years, and it is getting worse not better.

Reactions: IGNORE
Don’t think there’s any “parent like” relationship on either front.
Do you think Fitz understands offensive concepts? I agree with you that he thinks McCall is doing a good job but I think that is because he wouldnt know the difference. Sorta like Buddy Ryan when he was a head coach.
Wouldnt you agree that it would be a good idea for Fitz to go to a coaching clinic, seminar, or some sorta "recurrent training" so he can understand?
Smart coaches want to learn, like Randy Walker did by going to St Louis to gain further insights.

Isnt "learning" better than saying "hashtagidontcare" or "Im in charge!"?
Fans wanna know

Do you think Fitz understands offensive concepts? I agree with you that he thinks McCall is doing a good job but I think that is because he wouldnt know the difference. Sorta like Buddy Ryan when he was a head coach.
Wouldnt you agree that it would be a good idea for Fitz to go to a coaching clinic, seminar, or some sorta "recurrent training" so he can understand?
Smart coaches want to learn, like Randy Walker did by going to St Louis to gain further insights.

Fans wanna know
Fitz knows what points are.

ADs throughout the country would be licking their chops to hire Fitz.

Great. Let’s trade w Clemson. If PF walked out on his contract, he would be precluded from another HC position absent NU approval - unless NU sux at contracts. Plus he walked out in a power play over the OC for the worst offense in college football for a decade.

Sure, major programs will be lined up to sign the guy with a head too big to fit through door, he doesn’t give a rats arse about fans or donors - or in this scenario, the admin - and rather show loyalty over competitive program. And that school wants to pay off whatever the breach of contract penalty for the hire will be.

Please let that list be schools in the B1G. How about sending him to Illinois?

You’re citing time of possession in a blowout loss? The other team scored on several explosion plays and got that gift on the punt miscue. That’s why they didn’t dominate TOP as they dominated the scoreboard.
As I said, stats are for losers.

But there is evidence that the offensive line played reasonably well, or at least better than expected (which wasn't much). I was at the game, btw.

Holding the ball for over 30 minutes but scoring only 3 points is not exactly the type of ball control offense that wins games.

Holding the ball for over 30 minutes but scoring only 3 points is not exactly the type of ball control offense that wins games.
Time of possession is a garbage stat.

Win turnovers
Win third down (+ fourth down)
Win big plays

NU has typically done 1 and 2.

I don’t think the goal was to only score 3 points.

There are two distinct issues that are being conflated in these discussions. Is the defense dominant, ball control offense approach that Fitz prefers appropriate for NU? I think that question is certainly up for debate. What is not up for debate is whether NU is currently executing a ball control offensive approach well. The answer to that question is resoundingly no!

Fans wanna know

Yes he understands offensive concepts and yes him and the rest of the staff “clinic” all the time.

I will repeat again, Turk: stop making shit up.

Great. Let’s trade w Clemson. If PF walked out on his contract, he would be precluded from another HC position absent NU approval - unless NU sux at contracts. Plus he walked out in a power play over the OC for the worst offense in college football for a decade.

Sure, major programs will be lined up to sign the guy with a head too big to fit through door, he doesn’t give a rats arse about fans or donors - or in this scenario, the admin - and rather show loyalty over competitive program. And that school wants to pay off whatever the breach of contract penalty for the hire will be.

Please let that list be schools in the B1G. How about sending him to Illinois?

He would have no problem finding whatever job he wanted.

Yes he understands offensive concepts and yes him and the rest of the staff “clinic” all the time.

I will repeat again, Turk: stop making shit up.
must be clinicing at the miami dolphins. Better to go to the pats or the saints. Walker did with DV and super bowl champs. Maybe fitz just does defensive clinics. dunno

You don't have to tell me. Hungry was the one saying we did a good job of possessing the football. What a joke.

Yeah and we wouldn't have a hard time finding a coach. I like Chris Creighton. Been on his bandwagon for years. Liked him at Drake. Anybody who can win at putrid EMU is ok in my book (he started 3-21 and has gone 23-22 since then). You have no idea how bad the facilities are at Drake (where he was before EMU) and he went 41-22 there. He would not turn down NU.

I don't think Jason Candle would turn us down either.

So I grant you that Fitz would not have a hard time finding work, but I dismiss your thesis that we wouldn't be able to find anybody to come here if we pushed him out.

As I said, stats are for losers.

But there is evidence that the offensive line played reasonably well, or at least better than expected (which wasn't much). I was at the game, btw.

What evidence is that? We had some gains on the ground but we lost badly. Nobody played "well".

He said it again today

Inside NU‏@insidenu 1h1 hour ago
Fitz on the o-line: "I think they are playing really well." Fitz on the team QBR: "I think that speaks for itself."

If he thinks it's the QB's fault, then he's not earning his pay. He chose these recruits: Smith, Whitaker, Marty, and none of them is any good apparently. Then he wooed Johnson here and he's no good.

He needs to take his thumb and put it to his chest and admit he sucks at evaluating QB talent because he signed off on offering scholies to all of these QBs and they all suck (at least in his view). Then he can blame himself for our lackluster OL recruiting and our WRs who can't win 1-on-1 battles or catch the freaking ball.

Yeah and we wouldn't have a hard time finding a coach. I like Chris Creighton. Been on his bandwagon for years. Liked him at Drake. Anybody who can win at putrid EMU is ok in my book (he started 3-21 and has gone 23-22 since then). You have no idea how bad the facilities are at Drake (where he was before EMU) and he went 41-22 there. He would not turn down NU.

I don't think Jason Candle would turn us down either.

So I grant you that Fitz would not have a hard time finding work, but I dismiss your thesis that we wouldn't be able to find anybody to come here if we pushed him out.

Good luck with that.

But getting and keeping it...Let’s assume your right. He walks away from $5MM because JP says McCall is getting fired. And both MI and ND jobs open up. Let’s even assume that both offer PF the HC job at over $5MM.

Even with access to better recruits, nothing is guaranteed in CFB. And assuming PF is no Urban Meyers, Dabo, etc - then it’s reasonable to expect that PF won’t field strong offense teams.

He wins, but loses enough so no playoffs, no championship. Boosters start crowing — how long before PF finds his #dontcare arse on the curb. Now, twice removed from HC due to his inflated ego and with no real amazing results, the amazing PF still the golden child of CFB coaching?

I doubt MI, ND or any major program with big boosters would go get PF. He hasn’t proven the ability to establish offense and he has demonstrated a huge ego. If he walked on NU and $5MM over an underperforming OC, no AD will want his ego around.

But getting and keeping it...Let’s assume your right. He walks away from $5MM because JP says McCall is getting fired. And both MI and ND jobs open up. Let’s even assume that both offer PF the HC job at over $5MM.

Even with access to better recruits, nothing is guaranteed in CFB. And assuming PF is no Urban Meyers, Dabo, etc - then it’s reasonable to expect that PF won’t field strong offense teams.

He wins, but loses enough so no playoffs, no championship. Boosters start crowing — how long before PF finds his #dontcare arse on the curb. Now, twice removed from HC due to his inflated ego and with no real amazing results, the amazing PF still the golden child of CFB coaching?

I doubt MI, ND or any major program with big boosters would go get PF. He hasn’t proven the ability to establish offense and he has demonstrated a huge ego. If he walked on NU and $5MM over an underperforming OC, no AD will want his ego around.

The irony in this one in strong.

You don’t even bother trying to contribute constructively anymore do you?

You don’t even bother trying to contribute constructively anymore do you?

At least he's not obsequiously following Lord Fitzgerald. God, you'd think that guy has actually won something. Bob Voigts won the Rose Bowl and Northwestern drove him away just a few years later. He never coached again. That was probably smart because something tells me that Fitzgerald would not do well at USC or Michigan or anywhere else. He's too intransigent and he's a poor game-day tactician.

At least he's not obsequiously following Lord Fitzgerald. God, you'd think that guy has actually won something. Bob Voigts won the Rose Bowl and Northwestern drove him away just a few years later. He never coached again. That was probably smart because something tells me that Fitzgerald would not do well at USC or Michigan or anywhere else. He's too intransigent and he's a poor game-day tactician.

Oh hey, Tweedle Dum is back!

And they'll tell you the same damn thing! They don't give a shit about star ratings!

Glades, what is your rationale for this. Alabama has 69 4*-5* stars on their 85 man roster. The star rating system must have some value

You don't have to tell me. Hungry was the one saying we did a good job of possessing the football. What a joke.
No. I said there was evidence that the run blocking wasn’t bad. We had some success opening holes for Bowser and Drake. But the passing game was impotent, and the game got away from us by halftime.

Your comprehension sucks.

It's actually quite simple. If he wins multiple B1G CCGs and or an NC, people will come calling and he may leave. If he starts a trend of 5, 4, 3 win seasons, the bloom will be off the rose and he'll be fired at some point.

Reality is more likely in the middle, get somewhat better, win 5 games this year, maybe 5 next year as well, chalk it up to injuries, retirements and graduation, imply that the QBs didn't develop as planned, then muddle along averaging 7 wins a season. Stay for the rest of most of our lives. We will gripe

The pain of the lost opportunity of this year, with this defense will fade

Glades, what is your rationale for this. Alabama has 69 4*-5* stars on their 85 man roster. The star rating system must have some value

Saban doesn't need star-ratings to evaluate talent. Any value is correlative.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT