ADVERTISEMENT

Men's golf

DocCatsFan

Oct 26, 2006
Had their first event of the year hosting the annual Windon Memorial. I spent the day following the team yesterday. It is going to be a rough year for the guys as their top player is taking a redshirt year (Andy Whalen) and their best player, Dylan Wu, is a true freshman. But they came on strong with a solid final round +2 and finished 8th in the 15-team field.

I'm really happy for good friend, ex-NU assistant coach, and current Marquette head coach Steve Bailey whose team finished 5th. He took a program that had nothing and has really started to turn things around up in Milwaukee.

Sincere question, Doc: (assuming it's appropriate for you to answer) why would Whalen be taking a redshirt year? Injured? Academic reasons? It just seems golf scholarships would have to be spread rather thinly anyway, and it's not as if he'd need to be bulking up like a gridiron OL to get ready for Div 1 play.

If it's a matter best not discussed here, just don't respond and it'll be understood.

Yes, I was really surprised and impressed by Marquette's performance. That is quite a turnaround.

Originally posted by WildcatWillie:
Sincere question, Doc: (assuming it's appropriate for you to answer) why would Whalen be taking a redshirt year? Injured? Academic reasons? It just seems golf scholarships would have to be spread rather thinly anyway, and it's not as if he'd need to be bulking up like a gridiron OL to get ready for Div 1 play.

If it's a matter best not discussed here, just don't respond and it'll be understood.
I got your question. Pat tells me it will be ok. The team is looking good for the future.

This post was edited on 9/23 2:58 PM by DocCatsFan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT