ADVERTISEMENT

Met voice of nu basketball early 80's

mickbula

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2011
Alma Ata, Kazakhstan
Lucky me! I met dwayne dowell the voice of northwestern basketball in the early 80s. He noticed my buddy's northwestern sweatshirt I had given to him a few years back. We were at a joint called chiggys in palatine Illinois. Not sure if I am spelling his name correctly. He asked me if I was an nu grad. I of course confirmed it. We talked about nu sports over the past 40 years. Really nice guy! Colgate grad. Turns out he lives in a senior living house just down the street from me! Looks about 90 years old. He thinks ccc is nu royalty. Told me about 83' game vs nd in nit. Really sharp still. Anybody know dwayne??

Duane Dow was a sports reporter at WLS-TV for a few years in the 70s. He had the unenviable task of calling NU football games during the Dark Ages. A good guy, indeed. The NU-ND NIT game at Rosemont was indeed a highlight of those years in athletics. Packed house and a great win. Unfortunately, that team lost a heartbreaker to DePaul in the next round at the same venue. I think that was the Wildcats first-ever post season hoops appearance and the line for tickets was quite large after the game was scheduled.

Bumped into to him at a gas station in Park Ridge in the early 90's. He was signing autographs.

Reactions: drewjin
Duane Dow was a sports reporter at WLS-TV for a few years in the 70s. He had the unenviable task of calling NU football games during the Dark Ages. A good guy, indeed. The NU-ND NIT game at Rosemont was indeed a highlight of those years in athletics. Packed house and a great win. Unfortunately, that team lost a heartbreaker to DePaul in the next round at the same venue. I think that was the Wildcats first-ever post season hoops appearance and the line for tickets was quite large after the game was scheduled.
Was at the game, amazing atmosphere. It was actually their 2nd game. They previously beat ND to advance to the DePaul game.

Reactions: DaCat
Was at the game, amazing atmosphere. It was actually their 2nd game. They previously beat ND to advance to the DePaul game.
Yes. I went to both games. I was a senior then. The best part about beating Notre Dame was it was on St Patrick’s day and they were coached by Digger Phelps. That whole season was amazing. We played our home games at DePaul Alumni Hall while Welsh-Ryan was being renovated. Visiting teams had a hard time because the place was small and the seating put the crowd right on top of the court. It was a real home court advantage. We lost all 9 conference road games but we beat 7 of those 9 in home games. The Big Ten is so strong that our record was good enough to make the NIT for the first time in history.

Last edited:
I went to both those games too as an undergrad. After beating ND, my man Art Aaron flung the ball straight up in the air. It was wild and proved NU could have a great bball fan base.

I wasn't going to mention this but Duane confided in me that he envied dave eanet because of all the fun that Dave has been having calling football and basketball games due to all of the newfound success nu sports had had the past 30 years. Duane watches virtually every game that is televised of nu sports as well. Says he gets nervous before each game in a good way. I might catch a game with him this fall. He lives literally only 3 blocks from my wife and I.

That whole season was amazing. We played our home games at DePaul Alumni Hall while Welsh-Ryan was being renovated. Visiting teams had a hard time because the place was small and the seating put the crowd right on top of the court. It was a real home court advantage.
Maybe history will repeat itself for football on the lakefront.

I went to both those games too as an undergrad. After beating ND, my man Art Aaron flung the ball straight up in the air. It was wild and proved NU could have a great bball fan base.
I was there too! I saw Art Aaron at one of the games last year. I wonder what he did after his days at NU.

Reactions: drewjin
I wasn't going to mention this but Duane confided in me that he envied dave eanet because of all the fun that Dave has been having calling football and basketball games due to all of the newfound success nu sports had had the past 30 years. Duane watches virtually every game that is televised of nu sports as well. Says he gets nervous before each game in a good way. I might catch a game with him this fall. He lives literally only 3 blocks from my wife and I.

Do it. Would be a great experience for him; even better for you!

Yes. I went to both games. I was a senior then. The best part about beating Notre Dame was it was on St Patrick’s day and they were coached by Digger Phelps. That whole season was amazing. We played our home games at DePaul Alumni Hall while Welsh-Ryan was being renovated. Visiting teams had a hard time because the place was small and the seating put the crowd right on top of the court. It was a real home court advantage. We lost all 9 conference road games but we beat 7 of those 9 in home games. The Big Ten is so strong that our record was good enough to make the NIT for the first time in history.
Had season tickets for the DePaul years. Coach Ray used to come out and sit on the balcony behind the east basket and watch the games. The NIT game against the Domers was awesome... best part of the night was stopping at O'Sullivans on the way home, walking in with our group decked out in purple screaming "$T%$ the Irish!". That shot that Kenny Patterson hit to beat us in the next game was brutal.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT