ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan

hollandnucat

Feb 4, 2009
I grew up in Michigan the son of 2 NU grads. My father was a dentist who went to NU for both undergrad and dental school. My mother did undergrad elsewhere but nursing school at NU. They both were proud of where they went but never boasted about it. We were surrounded in an area that thought Michigan was the greatest at everything. My father called it "peninsula disease". As I got older I appreciated his point. When you become as arrogant or ignorant as what the Michigan culture pushes you are not open minded enough to appreciate what others bring to the table. This is a major weakness. It also can make people feel they are above things. I believe this has continued to haunt Michigan athletics, This is evident with the latest "Michigan Man" cheating. Let's not forget the Fab 5 who never existed due to being on Mr. Martin's payroll. What other program that has 1/2 of a modern day National Championship in their whole history (Nebraska would argue zero) that would consider themselves one of the top National powers? I consider modern football 1960 forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT