ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Adamle

I've known Mike for many years, especially back in the day. Would run into him a couple times a year and he always had time to talk and catch up. Hadn't seen him for a few years, but saw Mike at a couple games this year and he didn't remember me until I brought up some of our past meetings together. He looks great, but you can see in eyes that something was troubling him. Prayers out to a True Wildcat and a Good Guy.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Never play football, folks.

Also, one of the few fellow Wildcats and fellow former WWE employees of whom I am aware.

Reactions: phatcat
Mike was a great football player. He was not a great or maybe even a good athlete but he made up for average natural ability with determination and an extraordinary work ethic

It is certainly sad to see the negative effects of playing a sport he loved

Quite wrong about that. To play 6 years in the NFL at his size in his position -- the guy was and is a great athlete.
I think the point was that he had to work harder to gain his athleticism than possibly other great athletes who are born with more. Clearly a compliment.

Quite wrong about that. To play 6 years in the NFL at his size in his position -- the guy was and is a great athlete.

I agree. I was at the game when Adamle set the NU single-game rushing record, and he was very much an above-average athlete at his position. He was kind of the Justin Jackson of his day — carried the ball a lot and took a lot of hits. They didn't throw the ball as much back then. I'd say he probably was a little faster than JJ, but not as elusive.

I agree. I was at the game when Adamle set the NU single-game rushing record, and he was very much an above-average athlete at his position. He was kind of the Justin Jackson of his day — carried the ball a lot and took a lot of hits. They didn't throw the ball as much back then. I'd say he probably was a little faster than JJ, but not as elusive.
I would have loved to be at that game but I believe it was on the road.

Was that the game at Minnesota? If so, I was there for that. Several of us went up for it, and we were laughing because the Cats ran Adamle on the same trap play about six straight plays, and each time he gashed them for big yards. We started yelling out what play was coming, but Minny couldn't stop it.

Was that the game at Minnesota? If so, I was there for that. Several of us went up for it, and we were laughing because the Cats ran Adamle on the same trap play about six straight plays, and each time he gashed them for big yards. We started yelling out what play was coming, but Minny couldn't stop it.

Wisconsin at home. NU won 27-7, one of only three wins for the Cats that year. (small wonder at the OOC schedule that year included Notre Dame, USC and UCLA (all ranked in the top 15 when NU played them) and B1G games against No. 25 Purdue and preseason No. 1 Ohio State in a 10-game schedule. Adamle got the ball a lot. In 1970, his 318 plays from scrimmage were first in the league and third in the NCAA. I believe he was among top 10 in plays from scrimmage in '69, when I saw him play, as well. They basically kept handing him the ball against Wisconsin, which was a weak team that year. It was the beginning of the "Big Two, Little Eight" era when much of the league slid into mediocrity.

Also, one of the few fellow Wildcats and fellow former WWE employees of whom I am aware.

Fitz51- I worked in sponsorship sales for WWE from 2008-2011. Didn't know there were other NU/WWE alumni out there!

Reactions: Fitz51

Didn't we have an NU football player retire to train for professional wrestling recently?

I was first introduced to Adamle as the host of American Gladiators. In my opinion, that was him at his best.

Todd Christensen is a prick, but great in the original Tecmo Bowl. (Edit: *was* a prick. RIP, TC.)

Isn't Jeff torborgs kid a former NU baseball player and WWE personality?
Yes! He played baseball at NU, started a minor league career, got hurt, by chance met Hulk Hogan, and eventually became a celebrity as "The Demon."

The best story followed when, after wrestling, he joined his father's staff as conditioning coach of the Marlins. Antonio Alfonseca, all 260 pounds of his big belly and six fingers, was shirking his regimen when he heard that The Demon was after him. Alfonseca locked himself in Jeff Torborg's office for hours that day.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
And then alfonseca came to the Cubs and sucked - following the long tradition of guys forgetting how to be good once they joined the Cubs

I remember the touchdown Mike scored as a Chicago Bear on Monday Night Football. He was hit at the three or four yard line but put his arm down and kept his knees up until the ball crossed the line.

It was in the dark days of Bears football, pre Walter Payton. At that point in time it was the high point of the season. I want to say against the Vikings and the Bears lost by one but I could be conflating two different games.

... Came forward to share his health issues - epileptic episodes and onset of dementia...

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/mike-adamle-cte-story-nbc-5-chicago-413103093.html
Great guy! Sad story. Football will be banned from lawsuits in ten years. Back in 75-78 I was the best up and coming boxer in Chicago for my weight! Three time Chicago Park District Boxing finalist. Beat two Golden Glove champs at age 15 ( both were champs the following year at age 16! Guess what? I was a better boxer than wrestler and I started as a true fresh at NU! Why am I here now? Lots of luck,plus I knew when to quit! I got pounded,absolutely pounded one year in the city finals in boxing. In wrestling, there were times I crawled off the mat! Both sports,especially boxing, are much,much more dangerous than football! Point is you have to learn to avoid pain! Crazy and barbaric sports, all three of em!

Adamle would dive into a scrum at the line of scrimmage and pop up four yards down field. Every time. It was amazing really. He must have taken a million hits. Someone said he was faster than JJ. I don't know but I never thought of him as fast or even elusive. He didn't juke that I recall. He just could find the smallest hole and maximize it. Like I said, amazing. I have never seen any other runner do it the way he did.

Reactions: nu greek
Adamle would dive into a scrum at the line of scrimmage and pop up four yards down field. Every time. It was amazing really. He must have taken a million hits. Someone said he was faster than JJ. I don't know but I never thought of him as fast or even elusive. He didn't juke that I recall. He just could find the smallest hole and maximize it. Like I said, amazing. I have never seen any other runner do it the way he did.

I wouldn't call him fast, exactly, but he was very quick. Let's put it this way — he was fast enough to last several years in the NFL. You don't get through small holes without a quick start and some elusiveness.

And then alfonseca came to the Cubs and sucked - following the long tradition of guys forgetting how to be good once they joined the Cubs
Except when Arrietta, Lester, Strop and Rondon recently became Cubs and guess what...World Series Champions!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT