ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Greenberg

hollandnucat

Feb 4, 2009
Greenberg on Mike and Mike this morning commented that "Northwestern will never beat Alabama" when speaking to NU's higher academic standards. Greenberg I find annoying at times as he loves to make rash statements. I would not have a problem if he said it was not a level playing field from an athletic standpoint because of the much larger pool they can draw from but to say we would never beat them (would be hard but could happen).

Greenberg on Mike and Mike this morning commented that "Northwestern will never beat Alabama" when speaking to NU's higher academic standards. Greenberg I find annoying at times as he loves to make rash statements. I would not have a problem if he said it was not a level playing field from an athletic standpoint because of the much larger pool they can draw from but to say we would never beat them (would be hard but could happen).

Much as I dislike Greenberg, I agree with him this one time. And it has less to do with academic standards than the entirety of support the Bama program has from state residents and alums. Just a different ballgame. Could NU win a game if they played every year for a decade? Sure. But the NU program will never (at least in my lifetime) be on par with Bama or OSU or even Michigan.

This is true but outside of an occasional Greg McElroy. Most of the Alabama have no aptitude to do much else after college. There should raise the minimum standard on academic aptitude to play sports

Reactions: DopeTonic
latest

Reactions: Hungry Jack
My favorite Greenie-ism. When discussing cy young 511 wins, said to Golic, "I will drink your bathwater in its entirety, if anyone ever wins 400 games again"

I was so rooting for maddux and even Clemens to reach 400

"X Team" will never beat Alabama could apply to 95% of teams in the nation including Michigan State, Wisconsin and Penn State, etc. It applies to 80-90% of the SEC as well.

As long as Saban remains there, Alabama is on a different level. Once Saban leaves, they'll likely return to a "merely elite" status and fall back to averaging 10-11 wins per year rather than 12 or 13 per year.

ESPN does not love NU. On the Countdown to the Championship show last night, the panel all agreed that there was no team that would challenge Wisc. in the B1G West. NU remains "Just NW" to ESPN. Let's hope this prediction turns out like erstwhile ESPN analyst, Danny Kanell. Time to Win the West.

As I wrote in another thread recently, there are no good programs, there are only good coaches. Blue blood programs can absorb crappier coaching for longer, but every program is perfectly capable of sucking.

To wit:
1995-2000: Alabama 42-29
1995-2000: Northwestern 38-33

NU sprinkled in an 0-8 conference season and was *still* within four games of mighty Alabama over a six year stretch.

As I wrote in another thread recently, there are no good programs, there are only good coaches. Blue blood programs can absorb crappier coaching for longer, but every program is perfectly capable of sucking.

To wit:
1995-2000: Alabama 42-29
1995-2000: Northwestern 38-33

NU sprinkled in an 0-8 conference season and was *still* within four games of mighty Alabama over a six year stretch.

Interesting data. A lot of things go through cycles, including college football programs.

ESPN does not love NU. On the Countdown to the Championship show last night, the panel all agreed that there was no team that would challenge Wisc. in the B1G West. NU remains "Just NW" to ESPN. Let's hope this prediction turns out like erstwhile ESPN analyst, Danny Kanell. Time to Win the West.

Maybe if we play better than 500 during the regular schedule they will respect us more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT