ADVERTISEMENT

WMU Thoughts

ThatkidfromHolland

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
After reading the game thread and various other discussions, it is evident that everyone could benefit from taking a step back and for a moment and relax. Undeniably, the game was quite frustrating and NU did not perform up to their usual standard. However, there was never any doubt about which team would emerge as the victor and prove themselves as the superior team last night. Defensively, there were numerous instances of sloppy play, lack of communication, and failure to box out. NU's performance in this aspect was truly abysmal, falling short of their own expectations.

Nevertheless, it is worth acknowledging that they still managed to force a significant number of turnovers, and defensively, Barnhizer is a wrecking ball, causing disruption for the opposing team. Berry, on the other hand, demonstrated unusual lapses in his defensive abilities. The big players on NU's team failed miserably in boxing out and preventing WMU players from gaining good positioning on the boards. Additionally, the guards were not proactive in grabbing a body either.

On a more positive note, Clayton, despite being a freshman, performed commendably during his time on the court, and he earned his minutes through his impressive display of skills and effort on the defensive end as well as hitting a 3. He also had a very athletic board in the 2nd half, skying over a WMU player.

Offensively, the team struggled to make shots from deep. Langborg, in particular, had difficulty scoring even when inside the arc. Despite missing multiple wide open three-point shots throughout the night, Barnhizer still managed to score 20 points. Buie was the only player who consistently hit three-pointers, but even he missed several open opportunities. Although the shooting overall was extremely poor, it's worth noting that the team took good shots within the flow of the offense rather than forcing low-percentage shots. However, their execution was lacking, and NU was unable to convert these opportunities.

Barnhizer is clearly showing immense potential this season, benefiting from the defensive attention drawn towards Buie, which allows him to exploit mismatches and create scoring opportunities. He is a versatile player who poses a challenge to opposing teams. Buie made a ton of clutch plays down the stretch and sees the court extremely well. His court vision and passing do so much for the cats.

The game itself was difficult to watch, highlighting numerous areas for improvement. Nonetheless, the team managed to secure a victory. Now, let's shift our focus to the upcoming game and just be happy we escaped with a win.

Appreciate the plea for everyone to relax, but to say “there was never any doubt” when the game was tied at 54 with 4 minutes to play is a bit too far. Of course having Boo down the stretch gives me confidence that NU will pull out the win, but we’ve seen enough miracle shots from weak teams to know this could have turned out very, very badly.

Appreciate the plea for everyone to relax, but to say “there was never any doubt” when the game was tied at 54 with 4 minutes to play is a bit too far. Of course having Boo down the stretch gives me confidence that NU will pull out the win, but we’ve seen enough miracle shots from weak teams to know this could have turned out very, very badly.
I never doubted.

After reading the game thread and various other discussions, it is evident that everyone could benefit from taking a step back and for a moment and relax. Undeniably, the game was quite frustrating and NU did not perform up to their usual standard. However, there was never any doubt about which team would emerge as the victor and prove themselves as the superior team last night. Defensively, there were numerous instances of sloppy play, lack of communication, and failure to box out. NU's performance in this aspect was truly abysmal, falling short of their own expectations.

Nevertheless, it is worth acknowledging that they still managed to force a significant number of turnovers, and defensively, Barnhizer is a wrecking ball, causing disruption for the opposing team. Berry, on the other hand, demonstrated unusual lapses in his defensive abilities. The big players on NU's team failed miserably in boxing out and preventing WMU players from gaining good positioning on the boards. Additionally, the guards were not proactive in grabbing a body either.

On a more positive note, Clayton, despite being a freshman, performed commendably during his time on the court, and he earned his minutes through his impressive display of skills and effort on the defensive end as well as hitting a 3. He also had a very athletic board in the 2nd half, skying over a WMU player.

Offensively, the team struggled to make shots from deep. Langborg, in particular, had difficulty scoring even when inside the arc. Despite missing multiple wide open three-point shots throughout the night, Barnhizer still managed to score 20 points. Buie was the only player who consistently hit three-pointers, but even he missed several open opportunities. Although the shooting overall was extremely poor, it's worth noting that the team took good shots within the flow of the offense rather than forcing low-percentage shots. However, their execution was lacking, and NU was unable to convert these opportunities.

Barnhizer is clearly showing immense potential this season, benefiting from the defensive attention drawn towards Buie, which allows him to exploit mismatches and create scoring opportunities. He is a versatile player who poses a challenge to opposing teams. Buie made a ton of clutch plays down the stretch and sees the court extremely well. His court vision and passing do so much for the cats.

The game itself was difficult to watch, highlighting numerous areas for improvement. Nonetheless, the team managed to secure a victory. Now, let's shift our focus to the upcoming game and just be happy we escaped with a win.

The team was flat. Langborg was as bad last night as he was good in the prior games. He was was the missing piece tonight. No one else filled the role as the third scorer. Nicholson and Preston both struggled down low.

On Friday, NU looked quick on D and on the boards against a quick and athletic Dayton team. Today they looked slow and flat footed against Western Michigan. It is gonna happen.

But in the end NU's stars willed the team to victory.

My only guess as to why Collins missed the post game interview - this pissed me off as I enjoy listening to him as I leave the parking lot and drive home - is that he was puking.

But the key fact is that they won a game that many, many NU teams would have lost.

As for bright spots, Jordan Clayton looks like a keeper - he is a solid athlete and understands his role in the system. Also, Boo Buie gonna Boo Buie. That three when WMU tied it up was stone cold.

I never doubted.
I never really doubted it either except for a split second near the end. We were up 4 with under 30 seconds to go and we gave up a bucket to cut the lead to two. We got the ball in, but then Langborg got fouled instead of Boo. I realized we were still in the 1+1 bonus and had a brief vision of him possibly missing that front end since he was having such a rough night and then disaster striking. But it didn't last long. I had a stronger feeling emerge that of course Ryan would hit his free throws, and he did. End of story.

I like the cut of Clayton's jib.

I'm pretty sure that jump shot boo took at the 2:50 mark didn't actually go in but just bobbled around and then fell out.

I think he used his jedi mind tricks to convince everyone it did and got the score anyhow.

It may have been the beer, Uber‘s meditative state, or some unknown source of ether underneath my seat, but I never felt worried about losing the game. I thought we would make the plays to win.

It seemed that we had a ton of three-pointers that rimmed out last night. They were open looks that look like they were going to drop, and the ball magically popped out, like some basketball God was toying with us.

It was good to see Clayton get all of those minutes. He does not offer much offensively quite yet, but he can play.

While I followed the NU game on the computer I watched much of the Duke Michigan State game on T.V. Duke played Filipkowski and Ryan Young together for much of the game, and Ryan played very well. He had 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 8 points and he can make free throws and doesn't foul a lot. Contrast that with our bigs, who were atrocious last night. Wish we still had Ryan!

While I followed the NU game on the computer I watched much of the Duke Michigan State game on T.V. Duke played Filipkowski and Ryan Young together for much of the game, and Ryan played very well. He had 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 8 points and he can make free throws and doesn't foul a lot. Contrast that with our bigs, who were atrocious last night. Wish we still had Ryan!
Great guy, decent player. Can’t defend and doesn’t fit our game model.

There's a thread devoted to the post-NU exploits of Ryan Young, Julian Roper, Robbie Beran and Casey Simmons...

Its called "The departed."

Yes there was. We were out rebounded by something like 22. They had something like 18 O Rebounds. We were taking and missing on way too many 3 pt shots. Landborg missed on all his 3s but scored each time he went inside (FTs and a couple of mid range shots) His parents were there. Nice people and they will be back for Purdue

It may have been the beer, Uber‘s meditative state, or some unknown source of ether underneath my seat, but I never felt worried about losing the game. I thought we would make the plays to win.

It seemed that we had a ton of three-pointers that rimmed out last night. They were open looks that look like they were going to drop, and the ball magically popped out, like some basketball God was toying with us.

It was good to see Clayton get all of those minutes. He does not offer much offensively quite yet, but he can play.
Hunger got in for some good minutes as well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT