ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Wright to NU

Clearly better than Sullivan!!

And now I'm going to turn off my computer so I can never learn anything that dissuades me from this position.
I don't know if he's better than Sullivan. But Sullivan played under a previous OC, and this QB was recruited by the current OC for a different system. So I think it's fairly safe to assume he's a better fit for the system NU now runs, at least.

He’s busy googling Wrights stats to back up his claim that Sully is better.

That’s exactly why I did my Player A/Player B comparison earlier.

Player A — 13 career games (6 starts), 134/195 (68.7%) for 1,303 yards and 10:5 TD:INT passing, 129 rushes for 250 yards and 3 TDs

Player B — 38 career games (14 starts), 232/418 (55.5%) passing for 2,520 yards and 24:14 TD:INT, 247 rushes for 1,229 yards and 10 TDs

Player A = Sullivan
Player B = Wright

Yahoooooooooo!

Playmaker with the legs! Finally!

(maybe our post-Anderson will be more effective, so it’ll be less important?)

Yahoooooooooo!

Player A — 13 career games (6 starts), 134/195 (68.7%) for 1,303 yards and 10:5 TD:INT passing, 129 rushes for 250 yards and 3 TDs

Player B — 38 career games (14 starts), 232/418 (55.5%) passing for 2,520 yards and 24:14 TD:INT, 247 rushes for 1,229 yards and 10 TDs

Player A = Sullivan
Player B = Wright
Wright won’t be JJ McCarthy, but he is clearly an upgrade to our QB room.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
Seems pretty obvious why everything transpired as it did; Wright makes more sense for us than Sullivan given what we saw the past two years. Better fit for Lujan.

Been waiting for this post since Sullivan's exit; felt clear that we had an incoming transfer and just needed to be patient.

I am absolutely thrilled we signed him and have some relief on this unresolved issue.

That being said, I will be honest: it makes me sad that we have effectively become one of those schools just booking free agents for one-year deals. I get that we're just playing the game the way it needs to be played now, and there's certainly nothing "wrong" with it, but I miss the days of watching a QB develop and see a Baz or Thorson mature over the years.

I am absolutely thrilled we signed him and have some relief on this unresolved issue.

That being said, I will be honest: it makes me sad that we have effectively become one of those schools just booking free agents for one-year deals. I get that we're just playing the game the way it needs to be played now, and there's certainly nothing "wrong" with it, but I miss the days of watching a QB develop and see a Baz or Thorson mature over the years.
I still think we can see that but given Lujan's only been here a few months and Braun's basically been here little more than a year; just need to give these guys some time and stability; they had to grab a transfer QB this year given the QB room situation. It's going to take time to rebuild the QB room. We missed on way too much the past couple of years (some of the misses due to no fault of our own with recruiting issues that popped up).

But going forward, would love to get back to developing QBs as we had the past 15-20 years, I don't think that's going away entirely even though transfers will be much more likely to swoop in (and out) in the new era.

I don't think that's by choice. NU just hasn't been able to recruit high school players and develop them into starters. Braun said he'd much rather have a QB from high school to start for multiple years. But they're high school recruiting and development has been...let's just say lacking.

Player A = Sullivan
Player B = Wright
It looks like you’re trying to show that Sullivan is better than Wright - better completion %, YPA, TD INT ratio.

Welcome to college football in the 2020s. Haven’t seen updated statistics, but I think something north of 50% of programs started a transfer QB last year. And that will only get higher over time.

It looks like you’re trying to show that Sullivan is better than Wright - better completion %, YPA, TD INT ratio.

I’m trying to show that they are two different players with different strengths. Wright is clearly a more accomplished runner (which is more important in Lujan’s scheme than in Bajakian’s) but with more experience and worse stats as a passer. Schematic fit is very VERY important.

Reactions: Just Gary
Sully could have stick around to fight for the job and show he is the better QB. He chose to leave. I do not blame him as he needed to do what was best for his career. Wright is obviously the better runner. And has more experience. That should make the difference for this new offense (I just hope it turns out that way).

I’m absolutely thrilled that we seem to have found a good pick for our system. I was criticized for pointing out that an article stated we probably had our portal QB and was waiting for admission. I think those guys proved to be right.

Last edited:
Exactly. This isn’t a “home run” at all, much more “solid double.” The arm is a question, but at leas the can run-run. Competition in the QB room is a good thing, apparently Sully wasn’t up for it.

Dude, I'll take a bunt single with the infielders playing on the outfield grass. Now that we have a new OC who likes his QBs to run with the ball, and has a proven track record, I'm pretty hopeful.

Reactions: phatcat
I don't know if he's better than Sullivan. But Sullivan played under a previous OC, and this QB was recruited by the current OC for a different system. So I think it's fairly safe to assume he's a better fit for the system NU now runs, at least.
Not sure about that. Actually the heartening thing about the announcement from Wright is that Lujan will tailor the offense to the player and not stick to a rigid system that doesn’t consider the skills of his players. Music to my ears.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Exactly. This isn’t a “home run” at all, much more “solid double.” The arm is a question, but at leas the can run-run. Competition in the QB room is a good thing, apparently Sully wasn’t up for it.
#wishbone
I’m trying to show that they are two different players with different strengths. Wright is clearly a more accomplished runner (which is more important in Lujan’s scheme than in Bajakian’s) but with more experience and worse stats as a passer. Schematic fit is very VERY important.
Lausch & Wright = wishbone on the Lakefill :)

• Haha
Reactions: KappaKat

Player A = Sullivan
Player B = Wright
How ironic - their touchdown to interception ratio is exactly the same. Suggests both equal as throwers but Wright gets the edge for rushing.

1) It’s interesting that Thamel seems to have scooped Rivals/247/On3, etc.

2) Wright was already at NU for an incognito visit. Interesting. Makes me wonder how many other potential transferees have been on similar visits. Only one we know about is another kid about whom @lou v previously reported to Rock subscribers ;)

If it makes you feel better, the truly elite programs mostly keep their high school recrhits and use the portal to fill in gaps. If you want to win at the highest level, high school recruiting is paramount.

I don’t think it’s “the way it’s played” that’s caused this run of transfers as much as it’s “No P4-level high school quarterback envisioned himself in a Bajakian-Fitz offense.”

I don’t care to run through the list of NU quarterbacks since Thorson, but we can be sure that the two most notable are the ones suing the school for hazing. Basically, none were good.

If this goes right, Lausch gets two years — when he’s really ready — starting in ‘25. Then lettuce hope that Romain or the next two recruits are ready for ‘27.

NU’s inadequacy forced us into…five years of stop gaps. Six? Seven?

I optimistically do not think NU will be looking for its quarterback in the portal 12 months from now.

In the meantime, we’ve got a kid that’s been recruited, I think, three separate times by NU. He should be *fun*!

I miss the days I didn’t have to lock my front door at night too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT