ADVERTISEMENT

Miller Flop

Jeez. Has more attention been lavished on a more inconsequential player this season than Miller Kopp? I don't think he would start for us at this point. Not sure why he gets 24 minutes a game for IU. NBA, my lord.

Denny’s calls him NU’s fifth-best recruit ever, behind Nance, Simmons, Law, and Beran.

Which should tell everyone that a ‘top 100’ or ‘top 150’ recruiting ranking is meaningless.

(Shurna is 19, just behind Jared Jones. Mc was 27, two spots behind Greer. Demps was 38, two spots behind Vassar. And it appears that Boo simply didn’t exist.)

Expect nothing, hope for something.

From ESPN:

"Coach Woodson sees my potential as a versatile player and he has a plan for my development," Kopp said.​
Kopp expects to be utilized differently with Indiana than he was at Northwestern.​
"I think the Big Ten will see a different player," he said. "Someone who's a versatile player offensively and more than a shooter. Playing in the open court, playing in ball screens and more swagged up overall, to be frank."​

From another article:

"Really, what stuck out to me was just a straightforward realness coach Woodson had, and obviously his NBA background," Kopp told IndyStar on Tuesday morning. "His pedigree is bigtime. He knew what he was talking about. After he watched my film and saw what I can do, what he thinks he can add to my game, it definitely was really intriguing."​

From Inside the Hall:

You talked about his plan for you, what can you share about the plan for how Indiana wants to utilize you?
“Obviously I feel like I can shoot the ball and coach knows that. Really just using that to help everybody else in terms of spacing the floor, but also things that I haven’t done as much like handling the ball and playing out of pick-and-roll and making the right reads in that kind of environment. And also being a better rebounder is something coach wants me to do and it’s something I want, too.”​

The Miller Kopp I saw last night looked an awful lot like the Miller Kopp of last year.
Pretty sure I saw him on one of those BTN half hour segment shows- Kopp basically saying how his dream was the NBA and he needed to showcase his ball skills and to the rim game. The implication being that NU didn’t allow him to do those things. I‘m sure CC knew Miller had those abilities and told him under no circumstances to get easy buckets…

The phrase that comes to mind with Kopp is a man needs to know his limitations

Kopp said a few things that implied that the Northwestern coach was holding him back and played a lame/boring offense, which Kopp claimed was not what he was told when he was being recruited.

We already had this entire debate / discussion. I remember who was most upset with Kopp. Primarily the biggest Collins supporters. Thats only natural. Kopp did not trash any of his teammates on the way out. His comments were directed at only Collins.

It didn't bother me much because I have (had) no reason to think Kopp didn't believe what he was saying. Its just not the classy way to leave a program.

Personally, I found it interesting in hindsight that Kopp was so unhappy, his performance declined notably and Collins just kept playing him. I concluded (and still believe) that there was no way Collins expected him to leave.

Collins also appeared to believe Kopp was our most indispensable player that year, because Kopp played 3 minutes more per game than everybody else.

It’s a sports message board.

I don‘t think anyone is butthurt or wants to see the kid shred his knee

But when he’s playing against NU and given the choice of cheering, being apathetic, or booing, it’s pretty easy to boo him given the way he exited.

Glad he’s gone. His dour attitude seemed to rub off on the team last year. Addition by subtraction if you will
Kopp leaving isn’t the issue. Kopp being one of Collins’ best recruits and then vastly underperforming while he was here is the issue. Massive recruiting fail. He is an inconsequential player. His leaving opened up a scholarship slot for someone who can be more productive. Although with Collins track record, it’s a tossup whether he will properly utilize the extra scholarship.

Collins also appeared to believe Kopp was our most indispensable player that year, because Kopp played 3 minutes more per game than everybody else.
I don't think it's as simple as that. Kopp played a lot of minutes because he had shown at times that he could be a productive scorer. Collins had no one else to fill that "stand outside ready to hit the open three" role. Thus, he kept going to that dry well. Hope is a powerful thing.

The less charitable analysis is that Kopp could handle more minutes than anyone else because he didn't really hustle to get open on offense or to play solid defense. Thus, he never got tired and needed a break.

Reactions: No Chores
I don't think it's as simple as that. Kopp played a lot of minutes because he had shown at times that he could be a productive scorer. Collins had no one else to fill that "stand outside ready to hit the open three" role. Thus, he kept going to that dry well. Hope is a powerful thing.

The less charitable analysis is that Kopp could handle more minutes than anyone else because he didn't really hustle to get open on offense or to play solid defense. Thus, he never got tired and needed a break.
Thing is, he played a lot of minutes because teams had to account for his 3-point ability potential. It became evident in the fact that the few minutes per game he was off the floor, our offense generally hit the skids because the other team's top defender was now free to focus on someone else.

Kopp leaving isn’t the issue. Kopp being one of Collins’ best recruits and then vastly underperforming while he was here is the issue. Massive recruiting fail. He is an inconsequential player. His leaving opened up a scholarship slot for someone who can be more productive. Although with Collins track record, it’s a tossup whether he will properly utilize the extra scholarship.
I’d say the underperformance is on the shoulders of kopp. He was handed lots of minutes and plenty of open threes to take. He just couldn’t make enough…. That’s his fault

I’d say the underperformance is on the shoulders of kopp. He was handed lots of minutes and plenty of open threes to take. He just couldn’t make enough…. That’s his fault
Agree and don't know why CC needed to slobber over him in the post-game press conference. He did zilch against his former team and ended it with an airball that had the NU fans (including Coach Fitz) going bananas. Understand CC not wanting to diss him, but why say "I never recruited anyone harder than MK." If I'm Boo or Nance, what am I thinking about that?

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Jeez. Has more attention been lavished on a more inconsequential player this season than Miller Kopp? I don't think he would start for us at this point. Not sure why he gets 24 minutes a game for IU. NBA, my lord. There is pro basketball in Hungary.
How soon you forget the legend of Jordan Ash.

From ESPN:

"Coach Woodson sees my potential as a versatile player and he has a plan for my development," Kopp said.​
Kopp expects to be utilized differently with Indiana than he was at Northwestern.​
"I think the Big Ten will see a different player," he said. "Someone who's a versatile player offensively and more than a shooter. Playing in the open court, playing in ball screens and more swagged up overall, to be frank."​

From another article:

"Really, what stuck out to me was just a straightforward realness coach Woodson had, and obviously his NBA background," Kopp told IndyStar on Tuesday morning. "His pedigree is bigtime. He knew what he was talking about. After he watched my film and saw what I can do, what he thinks he can add to my game, it definitely was really intriguing."​

From Inside the Hall:

You talked about his plan for you, what can you share about the plan for how Indiana wants to utilize you?
“Obviously I feel like I can shoot the ball and coach knows that. Really just using that to help everybody else in terms of spacing the floor, but also things that I haven’t done as much like handling the ball and playing out of pick-and-roll and making the right reads in that kind of environment. And also being a better rebounder is something coach wants me to do and it’s something I want, too.”​

The Miller Kopp I saw last night looked an awful lot like the Miller Kopp of last year.

Miller Kopp in Big Ten play under Mike Woodson:

Games: 13
Min/gm: 22.7
Pts/gm: 4.1
Reb/gm: 2.1
Assists: 14 total
Turnovers: 14 total
Blocks: 1 total
Steals: 5 total
FG%: 31.6
3P%: 34.3

Bottom line: he was bad for us and he's been even worse for Indiana. He hasn't scored more than 8 points in any Big Ten game and he's had 3 bagels.

And so is development.

Yes, but...

Pete Nance developed. Ryan Greer developed. Boo Buie developed. Ryan Young developed. Dererk Pardon developed. Scottie Lindsey developed. Bryant McIntosh. Vic Law. Sanjay Lumpkin. Nate Taphorn. Gavin Skelly. All guys with different skill sets, different roles, different expectations and levels of talent, but they all undeniably got better under 4-5 years of coaching from Collins' staff.

(Other guys didn't, yes - largely recruiting misses and transfer flops.)

Kopp was given a starting job from day 1. He was the number one option on the offense for two years. Collins repeatedly ran sets to get Kopp open looks. He had the freedom to move without the ball, to score off the bounce, to take any 3 he wanted at any time. He wasn't very good at it. His best scoring output, his sophomore year, was 13 ppg - but on 11 attempts per game. That's pretty similar to the ratios and possession usage rate that Audige has had in his time here, except Chase chips in a lot more rebounds, assists, and steals, and he's often guarding the other team's best perimeter player.

Chris Collins gave Kopp every opportunity to be the star on a Big Ten team. You can criticize Collins for the miss if you want; that's fair, and he'll take the criticism. But a lot of it is on Kopp as well, and the reason people are salty and enjoying the win was his clear implication that the reason he sucked was because of Northwestern, when in reality Northwestern sucked largely in part because he didn't produce what was expected of him vis a vis the role he was given.

I hope he has a happy and healthy life and no one needs to give him any more grief than the mild reprobation he got last night, but I find it fascinating that anyone would be surprised he got it. As far as how his teammates felt: those who were in the building last night as the last seconds were counting down probably saw what I did. If you don't think this win meant more to the guys that Kopp abandoned after multiple years of playing together, I don't know what to tell you. The desire to stay in touch off the court does not change the desire to kick some ass on it.

Last edited:
Yes, but...

Pete Nance developed. Ryan Greer developed. Boo Buie developed. Ryan Young developed. Dererk Pardon developed. Scottie Lindsey developed. Bryant McIntosh. Vic Law. Sanjay Lumpkin. Nate Taphorn. Gavin Skelly. All guys with different skill sets, different roles, different expectations and levels of talent, but they all undeniably got better under 4-5 years of coaching from Collins' staff.

(Other guys didn't, yes - largely recruiting misses and transfer flops.)

Kopp was given a starting job from day 1. He was the number one option on the offense for two years. Collins repeatedly ran sets to get Kopp open looks. He had the freedom to move without the ball, to score off the bounce, to take any 3 he wanted at any time. He wasn't very good at it. His best scoring output, his sophomore year, was 13 ppg - but on 11 attempts per game. That's pretty similar to the ratios and possession usage rate that Audige has had in his time here, except Chase chips in a lot more rebounds, assists, and steals, and he's often guarding the other team's best perimeter player.

Chris Collins gave Kopp every opportunity to be the star on a Big Ten team. You can criticize Collins for the miss if you want; that's fair, and he'll take the criticism. But a lot of it is on Kopp as well, and the reason people are salty and enjoying the win was his clear implication that the reason he sucked was because of Northwestern, when in reality Northwestern sucked largely in part because he didn't produce what was expected of him vis a vis the role he was given.

I hope he has a happy and healthy life and no one needs to give him any more grief than the mild reprobation he got last night, but I find it fascinating that anyone would be surprised he got it. As far as how his teammates felt: those who were in the building last night as the last seconds were counting down probably saw what I did. If you don't think this win meant more to the guys that Kopp abandoned after multiple years of playing together, I don't know what to tell you. The desire to stay in touch off the court does not change the desire to kick some ass on it.
Looks like I touched a nerve with that simple four-word post. I suspect that has more to do with your sensitivities than the four words in the post, but c'est la vie. Miller Kopp is just as responsible for his development as the coaching staff at both Northwestern and Indiana are...likely more so. Those coaching staffs are responsible for his recruitment and his usage, but if he had developed better, maybe it would have worked out better at NU.

I will say that I heartily disagree with the idea that "Northwestern sucked largely in part because he didn't produce what was expected of him vis a vis the role he was given.". Northwestern sucked for a large number of reasons. Miller Kopp is one of them, but the results outside of his three-year tenure for the Cats suggest that Miller Kopp was merely part of the problem.

And I suspect the guys on the team have varied opinions on Miller Kopp as players on almost all teams due about just about any subject. I'm sure some hate the guy, some don't give the guy a second thought, and some remain close to him and want him to succeed overall. That said, it's telling that the players on the team (young men under the age of 25) are more mature about something that impacted them much more strongly than a few fans are.

It seems like Miller Kopp (a young man also under the age of 25) really hurt your feelings with some things he said during what seems like a challenging time in his life. Sorry that it bugs you, but I guess I'm more excited about the Cats playing well and learning to win close than I am about Miller Kopp playing badly. Enjoy the win. It was a nice and needed one. Hopefully it carries over against the Ilini.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
He had the opportunity, he tried his best, he just isn’t good enough. Seems like a talent issue, no? That’s on Collins for failing in his evaluation and bringing Kopp here as one of his core recruits that year. And it’s on Collins that he didn’t have better players than Kopp to put on the floor which mandated Kopp getting so many minutes despite limited productivity.

I’ll never denigrate a student athlete who tries his best and keeps out of trouble in order to protect the reputation of the millionaire coach.

Last edited:
Looks like I touched a nerve with that simple four-word post. I suspect that has more to do with your sensitivities than the four words in the post, but c'est la vie. Miller Kopp is just as responsible for his development as the coaching staff at both Northwestern and Indiana are...likely more so. Those coaching staffs are responsible for his recruitment and his usage, but if he had developed better, maybe it would have worked out better at NU.

I will say that I heartily disagree with the idea that "Northwestern sucked largely in part because he didn't produce what was expected of him vis a vis the role he was given.". Northwestern sucked for a large number of reasons. Miller Kopp is one of them, but the results outside of his three-year tenure for the Cats suggest that Miller Kopp was merely part of the problem.

And I suspect the guys on the team have varied opinions on Miller Kopp as players on almost all teams due about just about any subject. I'm sure some hate the guy, some don't give the guy a second thought, and some remain close to him and want him to succeed overall. That said, it's telling that the players on the team (young men under the age of 25) are more mature about something that impacted them much more strongly than a few fans are.

It seems like Miller Kopp (a young man also under the age of 25) really hurt your feelings with some things he said during what seems like a challenging time in his life. Sorry that it bugs you, but I guess I'm more excited about the Cats playing well and learning to win close than I am about Miller Kopp playing badly. Enjoy the win. It was a nice and needed one. Hopefully it carries over against the Ilini.
Thanks for spelling that out. Some posters on here are willing to blame Kopp for everything that went wrong last year, without indicting the coach, knowing full well that the coach had Kopp out there 80% of the time. If Kopp was terrible, then everybody else was terrible. Collins never figured out how to take Kopp out of the game and adjust the lineup successfully.

Reactions: peatymeanis

I enjoyed myself immensely last night, and my feelings are just fine. I'm simply spelling out my thoughts on why many people are reacting the way they are, and the amount of engagement my post has gotten suggests I'm expressing something that resonates with others. The words directed at Kopp coming out of the mouths of the Indiana fans on three sides of me were far worse than anything anyone on this board has said about him since the day he transferred.

No doubt we've sucked for many reasons, and I'm not a big time Collins defender either. But this is big time college sports, and I'm sure Miller was expecting a lot worse than he got last night. But it was clear as day to me that our guys enjoyed the hell out of that win, and it wasn't just because winning games in the Big Ten is hard.

Last edited:
He had the opportunity, he tried his best, he just isn’t good enough. Seems like a talent issue, no? That’s on Collins for failing in his evaluation and bringing Kopp here as one of his core recruits that year. And it’s on Collins that he didn’t have better players than Kopp to put on the floor which mandated Kopp getting so many minutes despite limited productivity.

I’ll never denigrate a student athlete who tries his best and keeps out of trouble in order to protect the reputation of the millionaire coach.
What isn’t on Collins?

He’s just amazed people like you don’t acknowledge it is an issue. Do you really think every coach we’ve had is a failure in their job?

Reactions: willycat
Chris Collins gave Kopp every opportunity to be the star on a Big Ten team ...
Since we're talking about the Collins effect on Kopp, the most aggravating thing about Collins is exemplified in Kopp. He was blind to Kopp's mediocrity, and was forever looking for a way to pull him out of his "rut." He wanted to believe some myth that he had the potential to be the team's most effective player, and went out of his way to get Kopp open looks. In several games, it was to the detriment of the team. He just refused to cut the cord and accept him for what he was ... what he is now.

And that wasn't the first time we've seen that in Collins. We're seeing the same thing with Beran. We've seen it with Falzon.

But it was a different level with Kopp. There were games lost because Collins tried to get Kopp going and suddenly the team is down 8-0 ... 10-2. Collins was all in with Kopp and Nance.

There's been a couple times where giving a player every chance in the world worked out well for CC. Lumpkin's value and confidence was built on the idea of being a defensive stopper, while he was a mess on offense. We're seeing it with Greer.

I want to say his handling of Kopp and a few others is out of desperation. Collins knows he doesn't have the horses and he needs the guys who show some glimmer of hope to develop more than they can. But his inability to see Kopp and Beran for what they are more quickly rather than highlighting them is ... well, let's say it's going to leave a mark.

Since we're talking about the Collins effect on Kopp, the most aggravating thing about Collins is exemplified in Kopp. He was blind to Kopp's mediocrity, and was forever looking for a way to pull him out of his "rut." He wanted to believe some myth that he had the potential to be the team's most effective player, and went out of his way to get Kopp open looks. In several games, it was to the detriment of the team. He just refused to cut the cord and accept him for what he was ... what he is now.

And that wasn't the first time we've seen that in Collins. We're seeing the same thing with Beran. We've seen it with Falzon.

But it was a different level with Kopp. There were games lost because Collins tried to get Kopp going and suddenly the team is down 8-0 ... 10-2. Collins was all in with Kopp and Nance.

There's been a couple times where giving a player every chance in the world worked out well for CC. Lumpkin's value and confidence was built on the idea of being a defensive stopper, while he was a mess on offense. We're seeing it with Greer.

I want to say his handling of Kopp and a few others is out of desperation. Collins knows he doesn't have the horses and he needs the guys who show some glimmer of hope to develop more than they can. But his inability to see Kopp and Beran for what they are more quickly rather than highlighting them is ... well, let's say it's going to leave a mark.
How does this jive with him having the best +/- on the team last season?

All fair. Falzon was injuries and Beran’s story isn’t fully written yet, though I agree he needs to start hitting his open looks more often.
I would posit it says more about the stat than the player.

I enjoyed myself immensely last night, and my feelings are just fine. I'm simply spelling out my thoughts on why many people are reacting the way they are, and the amount of engagement my post has gotten suggests I'm expressing something that resonates with others. The words directed at Kopp coming out of the mouths of the Indiana fans on three sides of me were far worse than anything anyone on this board has said about him since the day he transferred.

No doubt we've sucked for many reasons, and I'm not a big time Collins defender either. But this is big time college sports, and I'm sure Miller was expecting a lot worse than he got last night. But it was clear as day to me that our guys enjoyed the hell out of that win, and it wasn't just because winning games in the Big Ten is hard.
Congrats. You're a better guy than douchey IU fans who were acting like dumbasses. Huge feather in the cap there. In similar news, the ladies tell me I'm better looking than Nosferatu.

I guess I can take the rest of it though as an acknowledgement that you overstated it a tad with the claim that NU sucked in large part because of Miller Kopp. It'll be a cool thing when winning the game replaces Miller Kopp struggling as the feature story for folks whose feelings are just fine. 🤷‍♂️

Congrats. You're a better guy than douchey IU fans who were acting like dumbasses. Huge feather in the cap there. In similar news, the ladies tell me I'm better looking than Nosferatu.

I guess I can take the rest of it though as an acknowledgement that you overstated it a tad with the claim that NU sucked in large part because of Miller Kopp. It'll be a cool thing when winning the game replaces Miller Kopp struggling as the feature story for folks whose feelings are just fine. 🤷‍♂️
You cannot. I’ve made my point and I stand by it.

That is an excellent question.
We got outscored 1419 - 1279 in 20 games, so everybody was negative.
But when Collins took Kopp out, we got pummeled 291-213.

We tried a lot of lineups without Kopp. Nothing really worked.
All you can really say is that the lineups that included Kopp played better than the lineups that didn't include him. That makes it difficult to argue that Kopp wasn't one of our better players.

Reactions: SDakaGordie

Speaking of vampires, this thread is an energy killer! On to Illannoy.

Even Nosferatu agrees:

shadow-of-the-vampire.gif

All fair. Falzon was injuries and Beran’s story isn’t fully written yet, though I agree he needs to start hitting his open looks more often.

I would posit it says more about the stat than the player.
I’m going to agree with PWB’s stats and say your positing is off base.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

Those are good points as I did find it a bit weird Collins gave so much time to Falzon. And find it very similar to Beran. All based on perceived potential. Pound the rock baby.

But I find those situations quite different from Kopp:
1) Neither of those guys ever averaged 13 pts a game
2) Even if it was disappointing seeing Kopp drop his production from SO to JR, neither Beran nor Falzon were hounded every night by the best defender on the opposing team. Which explains why Kopp was a positive, IMO, on the floor. He made it easier for other guys to play.

Those are good points as I did find it a bit weird Collins gave so much time to Falzon. And find it very similar to Beran. All based on perceived potential. Pound the rock baby.

But I find those situations quite different from Kopp:
1) Neither of those guys ever averaged 13 pts a game
2) Even if it was disappointing seeing Kopp drop his production from SO to JR, neither Beran nor Falzon were hounded every night by the best defender on the opposing team. Which explains why Kopp was a positive, IMO, on the floor. He made it easier for other guys to play.
Another difference between at least Beran and Kopp is that Beran is a quality defender. I can't imagine Kopp doing the job of Ron Harper Jr that Beran did last week. Beran is also better on the boards.

This is disturbing, only because I've not watched closely enough to see this pattern. TBF, Collins has to do that, to some extent. His supposed ability as a recruiting guru is BS to me, so he simply MUST develop they guys he has. No real option. Now that you mention it, though, there is a stubbornness that he shows with playing guys that just do not perform, whilst others languish on the bench. No idea why Beran plays so much. I don't get it. Fitz does some of it (kicker, certain WR's, LBs), but he has a bit more margin for error (except kicker. No excuse)

Maybe they are good "practice players" /s

Reactions: peatymeanis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT