ADVERTISEMENT

Minny getting it started for the BIG

Yep, speaks to the overall strength of the Big Ten from top to bottom. Couple of super teams at the top doesn't put the ACC in the Big Ten's class.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and drewjin
Didn't the B1g already win the B1G-ACC challenge? Didn't the 14th place B1G beat the 10th place ACC team?

'Nuff said.
Yes, sir. A couple/three teams do not an entire conference make. Night in and night out, throughout the conference, the Big Ten was the toughest conference in the country, as it fairly typically is. Great games, tough matchups up and down the standings. Not many nights off in the Big Ten.

I actually thought that the two added BIG games would wear our teams down. Not appearing to be the case so far, looks like a clean sweep today...

I actually thought that the two added BIG games would wear our teams down. Not appearing to be the case so far, looks like a clean sweep today...

Would love to see it, but other than Minnesota, none of those results were really surprises. Now, if we can pull off a 3-0 sweep today . . . THAT would be something.

Well.... today I finally have to root against the BIG. Iowa is playing my other team. Go Bearcats!!

god... I friggin' hate Iowa. What the hell is it with them looking like crap for 35 minutes and then suddenly hitting everything at the end. Most annoying damn team in the league.

Iowa about to make it 6-0.

The two toughest games so far ended up being Maryland over Belmont of the OVC and Sparty over 9-9 Bradley of the MVC (1 point game with 5:00 left; MSU hitting 25-26 FT’s made the difference).

I thought the challenge went 7-7 this year.
That may well be; I don't have the stats in front of me. Doesn't change the narrative, IMO. The Challenge, in any given season, represents an inconclusively small (and potentially misleading) sample size.

Lots of B1G talk (6-0!) during the Iowa game. Northwestern just might have been the 14th best (and 342nd luckiest) team in the country this season.

Reactions: hdhntr1
did anyone ever see the rational for the 2nd round B1G match-up MINN/MSU

while not official - i thought they avoid same conference match-ups in the first 2 rounds

is that what got Izzo so mad???

Well, I'm sure winning the B1G championship and winding up in the same bracket with the top-seeded team in the tournament didn't help his mood. Meanwhile, North Cheatolina, 17-point losers to Michigan earlier this season, get a No. 1 seed.

Yes, sir. A couple/three teams do not an entire conference make. Night in and night out, throughout the conference, the Big Ten was the toughest conference in the country, as it fairly typically is. Great games, tough matchups up and down the standings. Not many nights off in the Big Ten.
Actually this year was the strongest BIG I can remember

It more affected their records. That sub 500 conference teams made it to the dance indicated how strong they felt the BIG was

god... I friggin' hate Iowa. What the hell is it with them looking like crap for 35 minutes and then suddenly hitting everything at the end. Most annoying damn team in the league.
Same thing they did against us

They only played once this year so it was allowed.
Still pretty crappy. Never happened before. In the past they tried to keep teams in the same conference from playing each other till the Elite 8. While that is no longer really possible because of getting 8 bids, it then should not be until at least the Sweet 16

Still pretty crappy. Never happened before. In the past they tried to keep teams in the same conference from playing each other till the Elite 8. While that is no longer really possible because of getting 8 bids, it then should not be until at least the Sweet 16
Yeah. They used to have that rule until the conferences and teams started merging (growing beyond 12 teams) then with so many teams in certain conferences they ditched it. It just got too hard to manage I think. I generally agree with you though. With how they do the pods and geographical preference, it can create conference overlap and they generally should try to avoid. Challenge is that the B1G had 7 of their 8 teams in the 2/3/6/7/10/11 portion of the brackets so it got tough. I suppose the NCAA wanted to create a Lville Minny matchup more than they wanted to avoid putting 3 B1G teams in that corner of the bracket (MSU Minn Md). And so they used geography as an excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: haywood jahblowme
Yeah. They used to have that rule until the conferences and teams started merging (growing beyond 12 teams) then with so many teams they ditched it. It just got too hard to manage I think. I generally agree with you though. With how they do the pods and geographical preference, it can create conference overlap and they generally should try to avoid. Challenge is that the B1G had 7 of their 8 teams in the 2/3/6/7/10/11 portion of the brackets so it got tough. I suppose the NCAA wanted to create a Lville Minny matchup more than they wanted to avoid putting 3 B1G teams in that corner of the bracket (MSU Minn Md). And so they used geography as an excuse.
I would think Louisville versus Minnesota is the exact matchup the NCAA wouldn’t want to promote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT