ADVERTISEMENT

Minutes lost to transfers

Those are reasonable points, but there's really no way to put a positive spin on Miller Kopp's surprise departure. He bailed on the school, the program and the coach. Academically thats a bad move, so he must have been pretty miserable.

Nance can't be blamed - he entered the NBA draft and is doing what is best for him.

Young had every reason to look for a different opportunity. Collins seemed (to me) to undervalue him and under-utilize him. Young knows he is better than Robbie Beran, yet Beran started game after game after game AND played (poorly) in crunch time. So Young got his diploma and left.

The departure rate of key players is being put forward as a proxy for "overall appeal of the basketball program." In my opinion, Northwestern, with its academic prestige, should be a magnet for transfers, with very few players leaving. The exceptions would be the NBA caliber guys, who might be looking for exposure and better teammates / opportunities and use Northwestern as a steppingstone in that regard.
Except that while an NU player can get in anywhere, only 10-15% of potential transfers can get into NU

I'm not an insider and haven't read that part of the article. I'm curious, though, if they included graduate transfers in their tallies because that seems like an odd choice, but would explain how NU is so high on their list.

If that is what they've done, I'd be curious to see the same list but with graduate transfers removed and see how that plays out.
Well with NU, it would be a fairly thin list as only Miller Kopp played significant minutes of guys that had not gotten their degrees. Simmons would have been getting significant minutes going forward but had not gotten them yet

Reactions: EagerFan
Not with the coach, but with the program the coach has built. They put in four good years and realized that their goals weren’t attainable.

And Kopp realized that he wasn’t good enough to be The Guy on a team, so he went somewhere he didn’t have to be.

In all three cases, the players made good choices for themselves. Only RY maybe had a problem with how he was used.

But, if you’ve got starters and sixth men leaving the program, committed players who have put in the work and shown to be loyal soldiers, and they simply realize that their goals aren’t achievable, it takes a lot of twisting and turning to point to it as a good thing.

The majority of mid-tier to low-tier programs have contributors who start for 2/3/4 years. At NU, a relatively high percentage of those players choose to leave before 3/4/5.

Adding contributors like Gaines or Benson or Ash here definitely constitutes a trend even if, in all cases, we can understand why they would leave. If NU were succeeding, they wouldn’t *want* to leave.
It may be that it wasn't goals that they had set that were not attainable but maybe they came up with new goals. Young for example could never have gotten into DUKE out of HS

The Dance, yes, the recent upward trend, no
Do you remember what happened at this stage of Carmmody's time at NU? His best years occurred. NU has been a black hole for a lot of BB coaches over the last 50 plus years. Just saying it takes a lot more to be successful at NU than at other schools. From everything we know CCC has run a clean program and there have been no issues with the kids. He did get us to the dance and we did get a new stadium built. Just saying at this point, it is a rare guy who can succeed her and if you are going to change him it will also be hard for the new guy to succeed

It's a problem with the kids. 1800 kids in the transfer portal.

When they play aau, if they do not get enough minutes or shots they just leave for the next program and gear. Same with the prep schools.

Coaches are making promises and players and their families believe it. I know a player that had 4 high schools in 4 years. He is one his third D1 colleg now. Started in Big East then ACC and now A10.

If Nance made it to he nba, nothing would have been said. But he found out he was not good enough and is trying nc to make it.

Simmons left after the eligibility date and cannot play this year. He is at Yale. Closer to home.

Young is a real glass in case of emergency at Duke. If Lively and Filopowski figure it out not a lot of mi uses for Young.

Look at Friedrichson NU was trying to recruit.

Decommited from Oklahoma St without atte ding a class or playing a game and went to Notre Dame. Sounds like someone got to him.

Not saying there are not issues at NU, but a lot of stuff goes on the behind the sens with recruiting. Especially with the introduction with NIL

It's a problem with the kids. 1800 kids in the transfer portal.

When they play aau, if they do not get enough minutes or shots they just leave for the next program and gear. Same with the prep schools.

Coaches are making promises and players and their families believe it. I know a player that had 4 high schools in 4 years. He is one his third D1 colleg now. Started in Big East then ACC and now A10.

If Nance made it to he nba, nothing would have been said. But he found out he was not good enough and is trying nc to make it.

Simmons left after the eligibility date and cannot play this year. He is at Yale. Closer to home.

Young is a real glass in case of emergency at Duke. If Lively and Filopowski figure it out not a lot of mi uses for Young.
Thanks for that info about Simmons. Had no idea he was at Yale. Totally missed that story.

Somebody on here assured us that Simmons had personal issues that required him taking a year off academically. I guess that was false. The bad "information" did end the discussion of why Simmons left Northwestern's basketball program, though. At least on the free board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT