ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Henderson (the NU years)

MotownMedilldo

Jan 13, 2004
Link

Henderson has only held two coaching jobs in his career, an anomaly for a profession filled with vagabonds and instability. He played professionally briefly after college, worked in the private sector in San Francisco, where he met his wife, Ashley, and then called Carmody about joining his Northwestern staff.

He joined in 2000 and former Northwestern player and assistant Tavaras Hardy, now the head coach at Loyola (Maryland) University, recalls that Henderson impressed immediately with his skill: "He was our best player," he said with a laugh. "It was too bad he couldn't play in games."

Link

Henderson has only held two coaching jobs in his career, an anomaly for a profession filled with vagabonds and instability. He played professionally briefly after college, worked in the private sector in San Francisco, where he met his wife, Ashley, and then called Carmody about joining his Northwestern staff.

He joined in 2000 and former Northwestern player and assistant Tavaras Hardy, now the head coach at Loyola (Maryland) University, recalls that Henderson impressed immediately with his skill: "He was our best player," he said with a laugh. "It was too bad he couldn't play in games."
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

GOUNUII

Glad you posted that article...

"He passed the torch to Carmody, who became a defining mentor for Henderson. On Dec. 19, 1996, Carmody got a call from Henderson's mother and went over to the dorms to inform Mitch his father, Robert Wilson Henderson II, had died suddenly of a heart attack.

Carmody told Mitch in person at his dormitory and then spoke to his roommates and classmates about needing to be there for him.

"Bill came to my dorm room and took me to the airport," Henderson said. "He's like a father to me. He took a chance and gave me my start in coaching.""

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT