ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to Texas Tech

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
NU grad transfer target Matt Mooney has chosen Texas Tech. Bummer.

Now that 2018 is behind us (at least it certainly looks like we're done), who will be the first 2019 commit?

We’ve had quite a few freshman guards in my time as a ‘Cats fan who have started and performed well: Baldwin, Carlisle, Johnson, Parker, Moore, Juice, Sobo, BMac... All lesser ranked players than Lathon.

Hoping for the best.
I’m pretty sure that each of these guards were Top 3 scorers on their teams as freshmen. If we could get that kind of contribution on a team with Taylor, Law and Pardon. Whoa.

Hoping for the best.

... Texas Tech was one of three finalists on '18 point guard Issac Likekele list ...

If Likekele had committed to TT, he would have been the second point guard in Texas Tech's class. I was hoping that might effect the Mooney situation.

I get the feeling Friday's announcement did affect the Mooney situation.

Oh well.

Too bad. I believe the feeling was "Mooney or bust," in the words of Haywood, for the final scholarship spot for the upcoming year. No chance Collins shoots for another PG type player? Thinking of Tramaine Isabell...

Can't believe how much Texas Tech dominated Michigan. Mooney played 32 minutes, 10 pts, 2-4 on three pointers. But he doesn't appear to be the point guard.

How does Michigan win so often with Xavier Simpson at the point? He can't shoot from outside and against good defenses his drives and scoop shots don't work.

How does Michigan win so often with Xavier Simpson at the point? He can't shoot from outside and against good defenses his drives and scoop shots don't work.
The only reason NU kept the UM game in Evanston close was because they dared XS to shoot from 3 and he was off that night. He has hot nights and cold nights. When he isn't hitting they have problems.

The only reason NU kept the UM game in Evanston close was because they dared XS to shoot from 3 and he was off that night. He has hot nights and cold nights. When he isn't hitting they have problems.
When a team such as Mich does not hit 3s (0/18, a new NCAA tourney record for futility), they have no chance. Sound familiar?

Final Four?

Or escaping the cellar in the B1G.

Tough choice.
If he had come here, I doubt we would have been in the cellar. We had a solid D and we were in plenty of games, If he had come, there was a possibility of dancing.

If he had come here, I doubt we would have been in the cellar. We had a solid D and we were in plenty of games, If he had come, there was a possibility of dancing.
Why would he have chosen NU exactly? Texas Tech has a hot coach and was in the Elite Eight last year, and expected to make a deep run this year: which they did.

Whereas we had a depressing season last year, the luster came off CCC, and our admissions department ultimately rejected our 4 star PG recruit. If his goal was a deep March madness run, TT the obvious choice. Despite some of our fans’ delusions.

Why would he have chosen NU exactly? Texas Tech has a hot coach and was in the Elite Eight last year, and expected to make a deep run this year: which they did.

Whereas we had a depressing season last year, the luster came off CCC, and our admissions department ultimately rejected our 4 star PG recruit. If his goal was a deep March madness run, TT the obvious choice. Despite some of our fans’ delusions.

Lathon’s admission was revoked, but not by the admissions office.

Lathon’s admission was revoked, but not by the admissions office.
Then by who? If this is an oversight by CCC or his staff, then that is another huge demerit.

I’d like to hear the full story on this even if on the Rock, as he would have made a big difference this season. We wouldn’t have made a tournament, but a 0.500 or better record would have been within reach and also a brighter near-term future.

Then by who? If this is an oversight by CCC or his staff, then that is another huge demerit.

I’d like to hear the full story on this even if on the Rock, as he would have made a big difference this season. We wouldn’t have made a tournament, but a 0.500 or better record would have been within reach and also a brighter near-term future.

It wasn’t an oversight. At all.

When they were talking about it on the game broadcast, I was under the impression that it was a tougher decision for him to make than I had previously thought. Based on how Kevin Harlan told the story, it sounds like CC is a charismatic recruiter. In either case, he’s been terrific for Texas Tech, and he’s getting to play in the Final Four, so it worked out for him.

Reactions: drewjin

I think we may have stumbled into on another thread w a little hint. My suspicion is that he was accused of sexual assault by a student during his recruiting trip that was a he said, she said. So not enough to prosecute. But enough to embarass the school and revoke his invitation.

I think we may have stumbled into on another thread w a little hint. My suspicion is that he was accused of sexual assault by a student during his recruiting trip that was a he said, she said. So not enough to prosecute. But enough to embarass the school and revoke his invitation.
If so, then good riddance to him. I don’t want anyone like that associated with any of our programs and if the result is a losing record, then so be it.

I’d feel better if your hunch is true and his rejection was due to our higher moral standard like this and not an oversight regarding his admissions. I feel awful for the victim however, if that’s the true story.

If so, then good riddance to him. I don’t want anyone like that associated with any of our programs and if the result is a losing record, then so be it.

I’d feel better if your hunch is true and his rejection was due to our higher moral standard like this and not an oversight regarding his admissions. I feel awful for the victim however, if that’s the true story.

Just to play devils advocate, in a he said, she said you don’t truly know. It’s unfair to either party to presume. And based on the absence of charges, there wasn’t convincing evidence.

Reactions: drewjin

Mooney is from a far western suburb of Chicago. and Texas tech lost a lot of their roster going into this year.

i wonder is the commitment of Lathon made him think twice (all indications were that Lathon was going to play alot) and then CCC ended up with neither of them.

If NU was able to land one, not even both - the season probably looks very different

They said on TV that his decision between us and TT was sn extremely difficult one. TT had lost a ton of players from last year, so their Dance ticket was far from guaranteed ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT