ADVERTISEMENT

More fun fumble facts

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
I recently posted a thread noting that the only fumbles the Cats lost this year were by quarterbacks. This achievement was also noted recently on NU sports social media.

Here are some stats on how long it has been since the Cats lost fumbles:

Last fumble lost: Thorson, OSU, 1 game since without a lost fumble
Last fumble lost by a non-QB: MSU 2017 by Chiaokhiao-Bowman: 19 games since
Last fumble lost on a running play: BG 2017 by Jelani Roberts: 24 games since
Last fumble lost by a running back: BG 2017 by Larkin on a pass play: 24 games since
Last fumble lost by a running back on a running play: Iowa 2016 by Jackson: 35 games since

It kind of puts Utah’s 4 fumbles and J. Taylor’s 2 fumbles lost in perspective.

Speaking of fumbles wasn’t the original intentional fumble play, “The Fumblerooski” originated by Northwestern?

Even if not, I seem to recall there was a discussion about it once being in the NU playbook. Can anyone verify or otherwise set me straight?

Speaking of fumbles wasn’t the original intentional fumble play, “The Fumblerooski” originated by Northwestern?

Even if not, I seem to recall there was a discussion about it once being in the NU playbook. Can anyone verify or otherwise set me straight?

Alaska, I believe Nebraska originated the fumblerooski when I still had a full head of hair, which was a long time ago!

I recently posted a thread noting that the only fumbles the Cats lost this year were by quarterbacks. This achievement was also noted recently on NU sports social media.

Last fumble lost by a running back: BG 2017 by Larkin on a pass play: 24 games since
Last fumble lost by a running back on a running play: Iowa 2016 by Jackson: 35 games since

That’s an incredible set of facts

Reactions: HawkCat and rmndcat

Wow! Great coaching

Reactions: HawkCat and rmndcat

This is really damn impressive.

If Randy Walker were still alive, he’d be beaming with pride over this alone (along with many other things).

Fitz / Mac / Ayeni were apparently paying attention, and learned from Walk’s determined dedication to ball security.

Reactions: HawkCat
According to the always accurate Wikipedia:
“The origin of the fumblerooski goes back to the early days of football, when similar trick plays were relatively common, and has been attributed to pioneering coach John Heisman.”

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
This is really damn impressive.

If Randy Walker were still alive, he’d be beaming with pride over this alone (along with many other things).

Fitz / Mac / Ayeni were apparently paying attention, and learned from Walk’s determined dedication to ball security.
And Thorson would have been running a lot.for those fumbles lost.

According to the always accurate Wikipedia:
“The origin of the fumblerooski goes back to the early days of football, when similar trick plays were relatively common, and has been attributed to pioneering coach John Heisman.”

It was interesting to hear one of the CBS commentators reference the fumblerooskie toward the end of the championship game yesterday as a potential upcoming play.

Wasn’t it ruled illegal at some level (college?) in the not too distant past?

It was interesting to hear one of the CBS commentators reference the fumblerooskie toward the end of the championship game yesterday as a potential upcoming play.

Wasn’t it ruled illegal at some level (college?) in the not too distant past?
Per Wikipedia: The NCAA banned the original version of the play following the 1992 season. In the NFL, the play has been considered an "intentional forward fumble" for many years, which would make the play an incomplete pass, but a version in which the quarterback places the ball behind him is still legal.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT