ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to Collins and his staff

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
After the blowout loss to Illinois last week, I thought the Cats' weaknesses were daunting and the immediate prospects dismal. It seemed, with upcoming road games against PSU and Wisconsin, that a loss yesterday would be the gateway to a 1-4 start to the conference season.

The weaknesses I saw were the inability to deal with double teams on Buie, the seemingly lost play of Nicholson, the slow rotations on the defensive perimeter, and the abandonment of the offensive boards in an attempt to avoid yielding transition points, among others.

I thought the team's prep for MSU was remarkable. The team recognized double teams, moved in reaction, and were rewarded with open looks the whole game, even though they missed the first 7. Hunger and Martinelli both provided interior offense that had been sadly lacking. The defense coordinated against high ball screens decisively, and reduced the number of breakdowns after double teams. The work on the offensive boards was focused and successful.

This team is different from last year and still faces a lot of challenges, but yesterday's game gave me some hope. MSU helped by playing dreadfully, but part of that was that NU changed course and played a different game than those they had played recently.

After the blowout loss to Illinois last week, I thought the Cats' weaknesses were daunting and the immediate prospects dismal. It seemed, with upcoming road games against PSU and Wisconsin, that a loss yesterday would be the gateway to a 1-4 start to the conference season.

The weaknesses I saw were the inability to deal with double teams on Buie, the seemingly lost play of Nicholson, the slow rotations on the defensive perimeter, and the abandonment of the offensive boards in an attempt to avoid yielding transition points, among others.

I thought the team's prep for MSU was remarkable. The team recognized double teams, moved in reaction, and were rewarded with open looks the whole game, even though they missed the first 7. Hunger and Martinelli both provided interior offense that had been sadly lacking. The defense coordinated against high ball screens decisively, and reduced the number of breakdowns after double teams. The work on the offensive boards was focused and successful.

This team is different from last year and still faces a lot of challenges, but yesterday's game gave me some hope. MSU helped by playing dreadfully, but part of that was that NU changed course and played a different game than those they had played recently.
Compared to last year, this team can expect more games like yesterday where, in addition to playing well overall, they also just shoot the other team off the floor. Of course, they can probably expect to shoot badly and win a 59-55 grinder less often too.

You know, other than the turnovers, MSU didn't really play that badly. Walker had 27 points. Hoegard had 13 points and 6 or 7 assists. Their big men actually had decent games for them. The one obvious dreadful performance was Hall, but the rest of them were ok. We were just better last night.

Compared to last year, this team can expect more games like yesterday where, in addition to playing well overall, they also just shoot the other team off the floor. Of course, they can probably expect to shoot badly and win a 59-55 grinder less often too.

Shooting well is a function both of having good shooters and getting open looks. Yesterday, the good shooters the Cats have moved well without the ball and found the open spaces on the floor MSU gave it. On most nights, that combination leads to a high percentage.

You know, other than the turnovers, MSU didn't really play that badly. Walker had 27 points. Hoegard had 13 points and 6 or 7 assists. Their big men actually had decent games for them. The one obvious dreadful performance was Hall, but the rest of them were ok. We were just better last

Hall was basically a no show. The Cats were playing 5 on 4 for most of the game.

MSU played a decent game from my eye test. They were scrappy and physical, got a lot of open looks, had a slight edge in rebounding, and had four players in double figures. I think Hall showed up, but was targeted and shut down by the defense and Walker got his 5-7 points instead. They had a bit of a problem at the charity stripe, but not every center is Edey.

Cats were the better team, but I don't think MSU stunk the place up with bad play.

Reactions: NUCat320 and zbag51
You know, other than the turnovers, MSU didn't really play that badly. Walker had 27 points. Hoegard had 13 points and 6 or 7 assists. Their big men actually had decent games for them. The one obvious dreadful performance was Hall, but the rest of them were ok. We were just better last night.
Aside from the turnovers how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
The 'Cats put up 1.35 points per possession last night. I scanned kenpom and couldn't locate a B1G game during the Collins era where the 'Cats were that efficient. (Though last year's 81-61 W over Minnesota had those 'Cats at 1.31) They did this going just 39.1% (9/23) from 3PT, and I thought we had few of those rim out so we coulda been close to 1.4. Chalk it up to a top-tier performance from 2s (23-36/63.9) and FT (15-18/83.3%). Note that Martinelli and Hunger combined 9/11 from 2pt in last night's tilt.

Agreed that this year's edition definitely has a higher ceiling offensively - especially if Hunger is getting more minutes.

The 'Cats put up 1.35 points per possession last night. I scanned kenpom and couldn't locate a B1G game during the Collins era where the 'Cats were that efficient. (Though last year's 81-61 W over Minnesota had those 'Cats at 1.31) They did this going just 39.1% (9/23) from 3PT, and I thought we had few of those rim out so we coulda been close to 1.4. Chalk it up to a top-tier performance from 2s (23-36/63.9) and FT (15-18/83.3%). Agreed that this year's edition definitely has a higher ceiling offensively - especially if Hunger is getting more minutes.

If we can just get Luke to serviceable on defense (which is less a knock on him, and more about being inexperienced), then he has to be the starter.
Wow, I knew they played well offensively, but that is very significant.

Having Ty Berry and Langborg running around trying to shake their defender... Nicholson or others setting screens to free them...

Ball going into the post to Hunger who was determined to get a shot up.... and willing to put the ball on the floor to do so...

This was a big improvement on the stagnant offense we played earlier this season (and much of last year).

I thought the coaching staff did good job adjusting the double away from the post to walling up the lane on the initial drive and forcing the flow left.

I also like the hunger start. Besides liking hunger, I’m hoping it kicks MN in the ass and gets him started. MN first half was for crap but he seemed more involved during his stints in the second half.

Finally, the cats played a physical game. Not as physical as I would like but much better than that soft shit during UoI. I’d like to believe that also was a result of coaching up during the week.

Keep evolving the O and D, get even meaner and this team can go a long way.

The 'Cats put up 1.35 points per possession last night. I scanned kenpom and couldn't locate a B1G game during the Collins era where the 'Cats were that efficient. (Though last year's 81-61 W over Minnesota had those 'Cats at 1.31) They did this going just 39.1% (9/23) from 3PT, and I thought we had few of those rim out so we coulda been close to 1.4. Chalk it up to a top-tier performance from 2s (23-36/63.9) and FT (15-18/83.3%). Note that Martinelli and Hunger combined 9/11 from 2pt in last night's tilt.

Agreed that this year's edition definitely has a higher ceiling offensively - especially if Hunger is getting more minutes.
We had the game against Rutgers in the B1G Tourney in 2017 where we boat-raced them putting up 1.37 PPP including the 31-0 run on 19 possessions (1.63 PPP) in the first half. Also against Rutgers, in 2016 we scored 1.51 PPP in a 98-59 win, though your call if you want to consider a game against Kenpom #279 as a B1G game...

Reactions: macarthur31
We had the game against Rutgers in the B1G Tourney in 2017 where we boat-raced them putting up 1.37 PPP including the 31-0 run on 19 possessions (1.63 PPP) in the first half. Also against Rutgers, in 2016 we scored 1.51 PPP in a 98-59 win, though your call if you want to consider a game against Kenpom #279 as a B1G game...
Good scan, Cappy. Admittedly, I wasn't as thorough as I should've been. Or I have a mental block on Rutgers.

Did anyone see the post-game interview with Tom Izzo? Not only was I impressed with his overall team assessment of the 'Cats and assessments of individual 'Cat players, he was extremely complimentary re. CCC and the job he did in pre-game prep and real time on-court adjustments during the contest. High quality praise like that from such a reputable, knowledgeable BB coach who recognizes what good, competitive basketball offense & defense looks like is indeed something to be cognizant-of. Coach Izzo also took the hook to himself by admitting that he didn't prep his team well enough in practices leading to the game. Now that's what a coach with un-impeachable integrity and an honest moral compass does - he shoulders the adult responsibility for how his team performed. If Tom Izzo states that the 'Cats have demonstrated marked improvement, especially in coaching, that's good enough for me.

Now to this week's games. A Wednesday roadie versus State Penn in not-so-happy Happy Valley will be a significant barometer of where this team is both mentally & physically. If they comport themselves well against the Nit-Wit 'Cats, which I believe they can and will do, then we've got to perform in Purdue-fashion against a Wisky squad in Mad Town, who are beginning to hit their strong competitive stride in their current undefeated B1G campaign. That game will be the true indicator of where the 'Cats are when it comes to maintaining their competitive chops in the B1G.

Did anyone see the post-game interview with Tom Izzo? Not only was I impressed with his overall team assessment of the 'Cats and assessments of individual 'Cat players, he was extremely complimentary re. CCC and the job he did in pre-game prep and real time on-court adjustments during the contest. High quality praise like that from such a reputable, knowledgeable BB coach who recognizes what good, competitive basketball offense & defense looks like is indeed something to be cognizant-of. Coach Izzo also took the hook to himself by admitting that he didn't prep his team well enough in practices leading to the game. Now that's what a coach with un-impeachable integrity and an honest moral compass does - he shoulders the adult responsibility for how his team performed. If Tom Izzo states that the 'Cats have demonstrated marked improvement, especially in coaching, that's good enough for me.

Now to this week's games. A Wednesday roadie versus State Penn in not-so-happy Happy Valley will be a significant barometer of where this team is both mentally & physically. If they comport themselves well against the Nit-Wit 'Cats, which I believe they can and will do, then we've got to perform in Purdue-fashion against a Wisky squad in Mad Town, who are beginning to hit their strong competitive stride in their current undefeated B1G campaign. That game will be the true indicator of where the 'Cats are when it comes to maintaining their competitive chops in the B1G.
I share your enthusiasm about our general improvement since 2 years ago, but our overall record v PSU is absolutely laughable. Considering that our programs' success rates are similar in the past 30 years (other than when we face each other) and their record against us is appalling.

I share your enthusiasm about our general improvement since 2 years ago, but our overall record v PSU is absolutely laughable. Considering that our programs' success rates are similar in the past 30 years (other than when we face each other) and their record against us is appalling.
If you want to get depressed, look at our all time records by team faced. It’s pretty ugly once you get into the big ten.

Must have me on ignore and cannot see the thread on the post game presser…. That’s brilliant.

• Haha
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
If you want to get depressed, look at our all time records by team faced. It’s pretty ugly once you get into the big ten.
Oh I get it. I just feel like, from anecdotal observation, mind you, that PSU is probably closest to us in B1G record since they joined, but they STILL dominate us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT