ADVERTISEMENT

More Smoke on the Fitz to Packers rumors

More rumors out of Green Bay. Time to take this stuff seriously. Honest question: who would be on Phillips’ short list as a replacement?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...-to-target-northwestern-coach-pat-fitzgerald/

FItz is not dumb. Not only does he realize how good of a gig he has at NU, he is also smart enough to know that the Green Bay job is a no win situation right now. The Packers roster is full of high priced talent on the downside of their careers. Despite this the next coach will be expected to turn the team around right away so that the team can contend while Rodgers is still playing at a high level. The salary cap will make that turnaround difficult. On top of all that, Rodgers is a player who is full of himself and wants a coach who caters mainly to him. That’s not FItz.

Reactions: mickbula
So I became a conspirasist soon after the Cubs won the World Series.....my problem here is who is in charge of this ruse.? Is it the BADgers hoping to disrupt NU recruiting..as the State of Wishconsin bonds together....or is it NU trying to help recruiting by elevating the status of its head coach ? It is a dangerous world this world of college football fan. Or maybe there is something even more sinister afoot.....Maybe Fitz wants the Packer job and with Murphy as his sidekick and with one of the NU assistants taking over the NU job......NU continues to infiltrate and pack the Packers with NU super-heroes like Lancaster, Lowery and Campbell and eventually these NU superhereos control both the college and professional football worlds........ and eventually we have the red,white and purple.

I am a smidge more concerned after seeing this pop up on my ESPN phone alerts. I don’t think he would leave - it would be a huge mistake IMO. Anyway, this is not a good distraction one day before the bowl game.

So I became a conspirasist soon after the Cubs won the World Series.....my problem here is who is in charge of this ruse.? Is it the BADgers hoping to disrupt NU recruiting..as the State of Wishconsin bonds together....or is it NU trying to help recruiting by elevating the status of its head coach ? It is a dangerous world this world of college football fan. Or maybe there is something even more sinister afoot.....Maybe Fitz wants the Packer job and with Murphy as his sidekick and with one of the NU assistants taking over the NU job......NU continues to infiltrate and pack the Packers with NU super-heroes like Lancaster, Lowery and Campbell and eventually these NU superhereos control both the college and professional football worlds........ and eventually we have the red,white and purple.

Does it seem like these rumors have disrupted NU’s class of 2019 and 2020 recruiting? There is no such thing as bad publicity. All these rumors do is enhance the perception of FItz as a top college coach and NU’s football program. 18 year old kids with NFL aspirations will think it is pretty cool to go play for the college coach that turned down the opportunity to coach the Green Bay Packers. I think 2020 OL Peter Skoronski, whose grandfather was a Packer great, may be favorably swayed by this publicity.

Does it seem like these rumors have disrupted NU’s class of 2019 and 2020 recruiting? There is no such thing as bad publicity. All these rumors do is enhance the perception of FItz as a top college coach and NU’s football program. 18 year old kids with NFL aspirations will think it is pretty cool to go play for the college coach that turned down the opportunity to coach the Green Bay Packers. I think 2020 OL Peter Skoronski, whose grandfather was a Packer great, may be favorably swayed by this publicity.
Listening to ESPN Radio Chicago this morning and it keeps coming up with the news updates about every 30 minutes. It is unnerving to say the least.

Listening to ESPN Radio Chicago this morning and it keeps coming up with the news updates about every 30 minutes. It is unnerving to say the least.

It’s a manufactured, overhyped story that’s good for ratings and clicks. I am not worried because it doesn’t make sense for FItz. I’d be worried if I thought it did.

Reactions: rmndcat
It’s a manufactured, overhyped story that’s good for ratings and clicks. I am not worried because it doesn’t make sense for FItz. I’d be worried if I thought it did.
The additional money he's get, likely does make sense.

The additional money he's get, likely does make sense.

What additional money? FItz makes a pretty good buck right now. If you are already making $3 million a year does it make sense to uproot your young family and jeopardize your job security to make an extra million a year? It certainly wouldn’t to me and I don’t think it would for FItz. Money isn’t the only motivating factor for everybody out there.

If you go to the Packers I hate you. I don't care if you are family, there are lines you don't cross.
Fully agree with this. As much as Fitz is a hero currently, if he leaves to become the head coach of Chicago's #1 sports rival after promoting himself as the face of Chicago's Big Ten Team (and overall athletic department).... sorry, but he'll be dead to me.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Fully agree with this. As much as Fitz is a hero currently, if he leaves to become the head coach of Chicago's #1 sports rival after promoting himself as the face of Chicago's Big Ten Team (and overall athletic department).... sorry, but he'll be dead to me.

Not to mention it would betray his Chicago roots. :)

Reactions: IGNORE2
“Two teams have confirmed openings via in-season firings: the Cleveland Brownsand Green Bay Packers. Interim coaches Gregg Williams (Browns) and Joe Philbin (Packers) will get consideration as replacements, but both teams will conduct multiple outside interviews. The Packers already have spoken to former NFL head coaches Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano and are expected to request an interview with Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald.”

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-schedule-scores-wild-card-races-draft-order (10:45 a.m. update)

This is the same as Teddy G. seemingly manufacturing CCC’s name for 3 years. The reason he had that information is that he had been given that information. Mark Murphy has actual interest in Pat Fitzgerald, for the same reasons he was comfortable hiring him in 2006. I think they’ll turn into nothing , but this reporting (and frankly, the initial reporting that so many here dismissed) was based on actual journalism and not just content generation.

“Two teams have confirmed openings via in-season firings: the Cleveland Brownsand Green Bay Packers. Interim coaches Gregg Williams (Browns) and Joe Philbin (Packers) will get consideration as replacements, but both teams will conduct multiple outside interviews. The Packers already have spoken to former NFL head coaches Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano and are expected to request an interview with Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald.”

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-schedule-scores-wild-card-races-draft-order (10:45 a.m. update)

This is the same as Teddy G. seemingly manufacturing CCC’s name for 3 years. The reason he had that information is that he had been given that information. Mark Murphy has actual interest in Pat Fitzgerald, for the same reasons he was comfortable hiring him in 2006. I think they’ll turn into nothing , but this reporting (and frankly, the initial reporting that so many here dismissed) was based on actual journalism and not just content generation.

Undoubtedly there is interest on the part of the Packers. What is manufactured is the likelihood of this coming to fruition. Many of the stories I’ve read explicitly state or imply that FItz is emerging as the leading candidate to become the next Packers Head Coach. That is a manufactured story or flat out lazy reporting. If the interest is not reciprocated by FItz how can they legitimately report that Fitz is emerging as the leading candidate?

Maybe Fitz is looking to brush up on his interviewing skills. Can’t be easy to come up with an answer for “Tell me about a time where you had to fire someone for underperformance”
That is funny but Fitz also is doing some interviewing these days and would benefit from sitting on the other side of the table as his interviewing experience is limited given how long he has been a head coach.

What additional money? FItz makes a pretty good buck right now. If you are already making $3 million a year does it make sense to uproot your young family and jeopardize your job security to make an extra million a year? It certainly wouldn’t to me and I don’t think it would for FItz. Money isn’t the only motivating factor for everybody out there.

NFL has the worst job security. NU athletics is probably the best job security. Look at Cushing. Guy falls into a HC job! Volleyball coach was recently fired... after 15 years. Carmody after what, 13? All you have to do is not be embarrassing.

On the other hand, Fitz can always come back to college if he fails in GBay. Worst case, he's a highly paid DC at Ohio State or something. Or maybe HC at... Illinois in 2021. (Gulp.)

Short list for Phillips? I favor younger coaches. Clawson would be the exception.

Dave Clawson (Wake HC)
- Why come to NU? He makes less than Fitz now.
- Pros: 3 straight bowl wins, winner everywhere he's been, at 51 years old he's more mature but not too old.
- Cons: Losing overall record at Wake.

Jason Candle (Toledo HC)
- Why come to NU? MAC vs. Big Ten?
- Pros: Only 39 but in 3 years as HC, 3 straight bowls. Also coached at D-III powerhouse Mount Union.
- Cons: Was hired as a Toledo assistant by Tim Beckman.

Chris Creighton (E. Michigan HC)
- Why come to NU? He's HC at one of the worst FBS schools, EMU.
- Pros: Two bowls at EMU is like a miracle at that place.
- Cons: Losing overall record at EMU.

Lou Ayeni
- Pros: Repeat the Fitz experiment with promoting a non-coordinator. Continuity. Great recruiter. Probably can keep some of the staff bc coordinators are too old to go to GB.
- Cons: Never been a coordinator, let alone HC.

Chip Long (NC OC)
- Pros: Will be a HC someday, 35 years old now, was an Illinois assistant for two years so he knows Big Ten football.
- Cons: Never been HC. Kelly coaching tree has not been good (Butch Jones - 1 yr together at CMU; Chuck Martin; Brian Polian; Mike Sanford).

Clark Lea (ND DC)
- Pros: Will be a HC someday if he wants to be.
- Cons: Kelly coaching tree.

Joe Rudolph (Wisconsin OC)
- Pros: Coached at Nebraska, Pitt, and Wisconsin (two stints). Only 46.
- Cons: Never been HC except a one-game interim tag for Pitt.

Jim Leonhard (Wisconsin DC)
- Pros: Former long-time NFL player. Only 36.
- Cons: Never been HC.

Zac Roper (Duke OC)
- Pros: Coached at Cornell and Duke so understands academic schools. Background as recruiting coordinator is helpful, too.

Ricky Rahne (Penn State OC)
- Pros: Cornell graduate who played QB there so understands high-level academics. Only 37 but has already coached at Cornell, Kansas State, Vandy, and PSU.
- Cons: Never been a HC.

Maybe the biggest reason why FItz won’t go to the Packers? The Packers are getting their asses handed to them 24-0 at home by the 5-10 Lions. No thanks, the Packers suck!

NFL has the worst job security. NU athletics is probably the best job security. Look at Cushing. Guy falls into a HC job! Volleyball coach was recently fired... after 15 years. Carmody after what, 13? All you have to do is not be embarrassing.

On the other hand, Fitz can always come back to college if he fails in GBay. Worst case, he's a highly paid DC at Ohio State or something. Or maybe HC at... Illinois in 2021. (Gulp.)

Short list for Phillips? I favor younger coaches. Clawson would be the exception.

Dave Clawson (Wake HC)
- Pros: 3 straight bowl wins, winner everywhere he's been, at 51 years old he's more mature but not too old.

Jason Candle (Toledo HC)
- Pros: Only 39 but in 3 years as HC, 3 straight bowls. Also coached at D-III powerhouse Mount Union.

Lou Ayeni
- Pros: Repeat the Fitz experiment with promoting a non-coordinator. Continuity. Great recruiter. Probably can keep some of the staff bc coordinators are too old to go to GB.

Chip Long (NC OC)
- Pros: Will be a HC someday, 35 years old now, was an Illinois assistant for two years so he knows Big Ten football.
- Cons: Never been HC. Kelly coaching tree has not been good (Butch Jones - 1 yr together at CMU; Chuck Martin; Brian Polian; Mike Sanford).

Clark Lea (ND DC)

Zac Roper (Duke OC)
- Pros: Coached at Cornell and Duke so understands academic schools. Background as recruiting coordinator is helpful, too.

- Pros: Cornell graduate who played QB there so understands high-level academics. Only 37 but has already coached at Cornell, Kansas State, Vandy, and PSU.
What is Tim Beckman up to?

I just don't see Fitz wanting to deal with the personalities of millionaires right now. Maybe down the line.

It’s a good list, @Pukecat , and the obvious choice is Ayeni. (I’m 99.6% sure it won’t come to that, though.)

If he leaves, I will be disappointed but wish him well, and he will always be a Cat at heart. He would likely be the winningest Cat coach for the rest of my life. He deserves every success he gets. What bitter irony if he leaves and Hairball stays.

I doubt he would leave. He is the quintessential college coach. I don't think it translates well

If he leaves, I will be disappointed but wish him well, and he will always be a Cat at heart. He would likely be the winningest Cat coach for the rest of my life. He deserves every success he gets. What bitter irony if he leaves and Hairball stays.

I doubt he would leave. He is the quintessential college coach. I don't think it translates well

I think Candle would be a great choice.

Dave Clawson (Wake HC)

Jason Candle (Toledo HC)

Lou Ayeni

Chip Long (NC OC)

Clark Lea (ND DC)

Zac Roper (Duke OC)

Is this replacing your annual coaching carousel thread?

Reactions: NUCat320
Zero mention of Fitz in the coaching changes report tonight on NBC. McDaniels was mentioned for the Pack job, along with a second coach I don't recall.

Zero mention of Fitz in the coaching changes report tonight on NBC. McDaniels was mentioned for the Pack job, along with a second coach I don't recall.

Brian Flores, the de facto defensive coordinator of the Patriots. Haven't people learned by watching Matt Patricia? I hope the Packers hire one of those guys.

Reactions: mikewebb68
The FS1 folks are now saying Fitz will meet with the Packers after this game. Is that new?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT