ADVERTISEMENT

Most disappointing plays

Aging Booster

Apr 10, 2014
(3) Newsome's pass interference penalty - if he looks back to the ball it's an interception instead of a key Stanford first down
(2) Vogel's whiff, resulting in a sack/fumble on our last meaningful offensive play, making it 17-7
(1) Hunter Johnson's throw behind and over the head of our RB who had a clear field ahead of him for a touchdown on what may have been the best set-up of a screen pass I've seen at NU in 20 years
Of course, I cannot even begin to mention all of the missed tackles - horrendous!

1) a. Uncalled targeting on Brown, resulting in a crippling (3) points to end the 1st half.

What bugged me most about Newsome's play is he got up and immediately did the "incomplete" signal before he realized the penalty had been called. I like that he's a little cocky, but at that point of the game on that close of a play, surely he didn't need to do that.

What bugged me most about Newsome's play is he got up and immediately did the "incomplete" signal before he realized the penalty had been called. I like that he's a little cocky, but at that point of the game on that close of a play, surely he didn't need to do that.

Probably figured the ball was uncatchable. It was well short.

(3) Newsome's pass interference penalty - if he looks back to the ball it's an interception instead of a key Stanford first down
(2) Vogel's whiff, resulting in a sack/fumble on our last meaningful offensive play, making it 17-7
(1) Hunter Johnson's throw behind and over the head of our RB who had a clear field ahead of him for a touchdown on what may have been the best set-up of a screen pass I've seen at NU in 20 years
Of course, I cannot even begin to mention all of the missed tackles - horrendous!

Gene Stallings said it best: Football games are won when football players make plays.

Good rundown. The QB draw on 3rd and 14 would certainly be up there as well

I think the top 3 must include our reserve OTs holding call on Moten run. The game was still winnable, we were moving, and I believe it was behind the play.

I think the top 3 must include our reserve OTs holding call on Moten run. The game was still winnable, we were moving, and I believe it was behind the play.
That was a bad hold (not that there are good ones). Just completely missed his block, and it did impact the play - the flag may have been thrown after the play was past it but the infraction occurred earlier.

Same with the targeting and the PI call on Newsome. Targeting looked accidental like he tried to pull up too late with a late slide from QB, but for that penalty I don't think it matters what the intent was, he made contact. And the call on Newsome was absolutely the right call.

The only one I didn't like was the PI in the end zone that was called on us, I thought that was pretty decent defense with very little contact.

Reactions: IGNORE and drewjin
Missed chip shot field goal. Maybe Hunter is playing for OT instead of running for his life

Doesn't change that we were pushed around

Reactions: IGNORE
Same with the targeting and the PI call on Newsome. Targeting looked accidental like he tried to pull up too late with a late slide from QB, but for that penalty I don't think it matters what the intent was, he made contact. .
Minor point, but they called Brown for a late hit on a sliding QB, not targeting. The PF for late hit was absolutely correct.

(1) should be on any such list. Our RB had no Stanford defender within 20+ yards of him.

And, as to the missed tackles, Whillock makes the tackle on 2d and 12, and Stanford may play it safe on 3rd and a mile, leading to us having the ball with time to mount a drive rather than 30 seconds and (no) prayer.

Reactions: hoosboot
That was a bad hold (not that there are good ones). Just completely missed his block, and it did impact the play - the flag may have been thrown after the play was past it but the infraction occurred earlier.

Same with the targeting and the PI call on Newsome. Targeting looked accidental like he tried to pull up too late with a late slide from QB, but for that penalty I don't think it matters what the intent was, he made contact. And the call on Newsome was absolutely the right call.

The only one I didn't like was the PI in the end zone that was called on us, I thought that was pretty decent defense with very little contact.

Agree that the PI on Ruiz in the end zone was questionable. I thought his coverage was very good on that play.

Reactions: IGNORE and drewjin
Why did Hampton play so much in relief of Williams aren't there other options he was missing tackles regularly

Tons of space on that play if Brown can slow down the LB.

McCall's catching a ton of heat for the draw; didn't think it was such a bad call. When the rush is formidable, screens and draws are the way to go. I agree; if executed properly, we're looking at 4th and 3 or 4 at the very worst...much more attainable.

And, as to the missed tackles, Whillock makes the tackle on 2d and 12, and Stanford may play it safe on 3rd and a mile, leading to us having the ball with time to mount a drive rather than 30 seconds and (no) prayer.

This. I was so angry at that play, but as ever time provides perspective.

But seriously, can we all chill? My assessment was that Gallagher and Whillock had a game they will remember for the wrong reasons for the rest of their lives.

Now, they were both excellent last year and have earned a stinker, Saturday was it, and let's move on. Two key stoppers probably had the worst games of their careers simultaneously and we still had a chance to win this game. On the road. Against a top 25 team. Not sure why everyone is in a panic.

The announcers, mediocre as they were, made several astute (to my mind) citations to how our defensive scheme is akin to Lovie's old Buccaneer teams where the game plan is to funnel as many plays as possible to Gallagher, Whillock, or Fisher, counting on them to execute as they normally do. Today two of those three did not play well, and again, we had a chance to win. Sometimes your good players falter. I don't expect it will happen again.

For me, the easy number one was Green not taking a sack and settling for three points, but instead trying to fight off multiple tacklers, getting injured and fumbling the ball away.

For me, the easy number one was Green not taking a sack and settling for three points, but instead trying to fight off multiple tacklers, getting injured and fumbling the ball away.
And apparently missing his hot read on the same play for a TD...

Thought he got his bearings in the second half. It was awful to start, but still took third in the team poor tackling department.
I kinda remember this kid that was forced into action as a Freshman DB and got absolutely torched at first. Then he got on course and absolutely hit like a truck. His name was Campbell

Reactions: mikewebb68
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT