ADVERTISEMENT

Multiple Oregon players hospitalized due to practice regimen

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Still awaiting the details but curious if this has anything to do with a certain player taking a serious look at Northwestern. (Head to The Rock for that story)

Rhabdomyolysis is a serious problem commonly associated with traumatic muscle injuries , excessive exercise or more recently statin drugs.

Excessive exercise results in muscle death , releasing myoglobin into the blood stream accumulating in the kidneys preventing normal filtration . Fluid leaks into the damaged muscles, reducing blood volume , leading to vasoconstriction and hypotension that further reduces kidney perfusion. The resulting effect is acute renal failure.

The majority of patients fully recover but if shock, disseminated intravascular coagulation , unresponsive renal failure or other complications occur death can occur

Reactions: FloridAlum
Rhabdomyolysis is a serious problem commonly associated with traumatic muscle injuries , excessive exercise or more recently statin drugs.

Excessive exercise results in muscle death , releasing myoglobin into the blood stream accumulating in the kidneys preventing normal filtration . Fluid leaks into the damaged muscles, reducing blood volume , leading to vasoconstriction and hypotension that further reduces kidney perfusion. The resulting effect is acute renal failure.

The majority of patients fully recover but if shock, disseminated intravascular coagulation , unresponsive renal failure or other complications occur death can occur

Ugly stuff. Wrassler's comfy couch looks more appealing all the time.

Dumbass strength and conditioning staff. This is occurring at exactly the same time (after Holiday break) as the Rhabdo incident at Iowa. Players return to school and are immediately worked to their limits and beyond by dumb S&C staff. One should ALWAYS ease into a strength and conditioning program after a layoff.

Only on a NU board can you get this type of analysis.

Dumbass strength and conditioning staff. This is occurring at exactly the same time (after Holiday break) as the Rhabdo incident at Iowa. Players return to school and are immediately worked to their limits and beyond by dumb S&C staff. One should ALWAYS ease into a strength and conditioning program after a layoff.

They have to get some extra sessions in so they can turn in another 4-8 season.

Then their new head coach issued a statement saying he is "ultimately responsible" for the safety and well-being of his players. Of course, he WASN'T suspended, so I guess he really wasn't responsible...

Good point. I always wonder about people who say "I'm accountable" yet no action is taken against them. Fitz often says "it starts with me", what does that really mean? Is it all just a BS cop-out?

Good point. I always wonder about people who say "I'm accountable" yet no action is taken against them. Fitz often says "it starts with me", what does that really mean? Is it all just a BS cop-out?
One of the few times I've actually seen a coach "take responsibility" came from a very unlikely person -- UCLA Coach Steve Alford, who had the good sense to return a contract extension unsigned after a terrible season last year. I'm no Steve Alford fan, but I had to admire the gesture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT