ADVERTISEMENT

Would G5 move to spring football

Just Gary

Dec 7, 2007
Kapolei, Hawaii
G5 move to spring football

An interesting proposal. G5 considering moving to play spring football instead of competing with P4 for television audience. Actually not a bad idea but would it create a situation where their best players would then try to switch to P4 schools in the fall?

Reactions: BadRob
G5 move to spring football

An interesting proposal. G5 considering moving to play spring football instead of competing with P4 for television audience. Actually not a bad idea but would it create a situation where their best players would then try to switch to P4 schools in the fall?
As it is now, a big portion of their budgets are funded by the OOC games that the P4/5 play against them. This would remove that. And that conflicts with BB and a lot of other things. Not sure how well it works

Reactions: ricko654321
As it is now, a big portion of their budgets are funded by the OOC games that the P4/5 play against them. This would remove that. And that conflicts with BB and a lot of other things. Not sure how well it works
BB already interferes with football in the late fall. I could see them starting the season in March going through May. They figure they can get a better media deal and get more exposure, but it regulates them to minor league status. I would watch more of their games. Sports is dull after March Madness.

Reactions: BadRob
BB already interferes with football in the late fall. I could see them starting the season in March going through May. They figure they can get a better media deal and get more exposure, but it regulates them to minor league status. I would watch more of their games. Sports is dull after March Madness.
I can’t see G5 media rights being worth anything. There’s already spring professional football that exists only for gamblers.

Reactions: drewjin
Spring football works better on the professional level as a niche NFL alternative for football-hungry viewers who can't stand the long absence between the Super Bowl and the late Summer/early Fall beginning of college and NFL football. Spring G5 football probably would not work well for college recruiting, as most top incoming major football recruits likely still have the dream of making it to the NFL.

With spring football a G5 recruit would play competitive football in the Fall of their high school senior year, then not play until the Spring of their college Freshman year basically almost a year and a half later. Potential G5 players under serious NFL consideration would be preparing for and playing football while their peers in FCS and power FBS conferences would be going through combines, pro days, and interviews with NFL scouts and coaches. G5 spring football would basically take participants out of line with the traditional high school to college to NFL pipeline. It's probably more likely to see a G5 playoff than seeing them move to Spring, even though both are not likely.

This article references Derek Dooley as a thought leader on this idea...Dooley isn't anything right now (analyst at Alabama) - he's not a commissioner, an assistant commissioner, or any version of an athletic director (other than "former"). He's just a guy with two eyes and a mouth who said something about this.

Only losers play football in the spring and everybody knows it. ESPN and all the networks already have spring football content with the UFL, and I suspect they're getting a deal on the carriage rights.

Not really. Only a couple OOC games till the season is done. And you might now see a conference game near end of Dec where it only interferes sort of with bowl games

Not even then., March madness goes through basically the whole month And a lot of schools let out in May so only time for about 6 games. Hard to see that working

Spring football works better on the professional level as a niche NFL alternative for football-hungry viewers who can't stand the long absence between the Super Bowl and the late Summer/early Fall beginning of college and NFL football. Spring G5 football probably would not work well for college recruiting, as most top incoming major football recruits likely still have the dream of making it to the NFL.

With spring football a G5 recruit would play competitive football in the Fall of their high school senior year, then not play until the Spring of their college Freshman year basically almost a year and a half later. Potential G5 players under serious NFL consideration would be preparing for and playing football while their peers in FCS and power FBS conferences would be going through combines, pro days, and interviews with NFL scouts and coaches. G5 spring football would basically take participants out of line with the traditional high school to college to NFL pipeline. It's probably more likely to see a G5 playoff than seeing them move to Spring, even though both are not likely.
Don't forget the potential for injuries

Why would they be different in the spring compared to fall?
Because there is no time to recover. And if the person is preparing for the draft do they even play? Just has everything out of sync

Because there is no time to recover. And if the person is preparing for the draft do they even play? Just has everything out of sync
So what is the solution for the G5? They already see that NIL is going to separate out those with big ambitions and put a wider gap between the G5 and P4. The large media deals are already causing a large separation and if the P4 go to revenue sharing, that difference will grow even greater. What does a San Jose State do to get television time and a better chance for making any playoff?

So what is the solution for the G5? They already see that NIL is going to separate out those with big ambitions and put a wider gap between the G5 and P4. The large media deals are already causing a large separation and if the P4 go to revenue sharing, that difference will grow even greater. What does a San Jose State do to get television time and a better chance for making any playoff?
Go to different days of the week and night games? Right now on TV they go up against all the top teams for eyeballs but it you go to a Tues or Weds night .... (thurs night has better programing to go up against and some times P4/5 games are played as well as pro games. Not saying it cannot be those other nights but...) They still play on Sat when the have their OOC games

In 2020 when FCS played football in the spring of 2021, many teams that had games scheduled in the fall against teams in conferences who didn’t cancel non-con games played those games as contracted then shut their practices back down for spring. We might see some more of that.

In 2020 when FCS played football in the spring of 2021, many teams that had games scheduled in the fall against teams in conferences who didn’t cancel non-con games played those games as contracted then shut their practices back down for spring. We might see some more of that.
That sounds awful.

I would love to watch some MACtion in the Spring. I would also more likely go to a game at Central or Western Michigan than I would in the Fall. I don't care much about professional football that is not the NFL. Right now, after the NCAA Tourney, I generally cancel my live TV subscription, but I just might keep it for this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT