ADVERTISEMENT

My concerns against Whisky

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
My big fear in watching NU play against big time opponents is that Fitz will be Fitz, stubborn. He will throw out his chest and stick out his chin and try and go toe to toe till we are too far behind and too worn out to do anything about it. I think Fitz thinks we can will our line to out man UW....and our defensive four to will their way into the backfield..So I guess my criticism is that Fitz and staff seldom see things as they are and come up with a creative way to beat teams that may have better performance on both lines....and nope I do not know what that is .....in my head it is all of sudden lining up in a unique formation......maybe two backs in the backfield......sending 7 and going man to man defensively....am I wrong here....is there a game where someone can think of where we were able to out scheme and unsettle an opponent to overcome a more talented team to pull out a victory?
Dinardo thought that we adjusted to help our line by having Thorson run more against BG... what can we do against what appears to be a very sound UW team?

My concern is that Wisconsin is a far better team. Of course, I had the same concern last time we went to Camp Randall.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Turnovers will be key. McCall and Hank need to keep Wiskey guessing and off balance. Defense needs to tackle better and force errors by Hornicek. And of course need great games from our stars, Thorson and Jackson on offense.

If Badgers stick with the run, I think they prevail, Chryst likes to throw more than previous Badger HC's, so the possibility of sacks and INT"s is higher than I'd like.
Then again, if Horny gets time, we probably have our best WR corps in a long time.
Don't be surprised to see the other TE Neuville make some plays and I'd further expect James the 3rd down Back to be thrown too also.
Jonathon Taylor is an explosive Freshman TB with HR speed and power but I worry a bit about ball security with him.

NU might score with UW on O with a short passing game, including a lot of passing on 1st down.

My concern is that Wisconsin is a far better team. Of course, I had the same concern last time we went to Camp Randall.
OT: does your signature say "You are ignoring content by this member."?? That threw me for such a loop....especially the logic trap that my brain was stuck in trying to figure out when I put you on ignore and why can I still read your post! Very funny.

Going to come down to the lines, obviously, but NU will need its linebackers to be in rare form on Saturday to halt Wisky's ground game. Is this Paddy's "moment" like Godwin against Wisky in 2014, or Walker against Penn State?

The concern I have is Wisconsin gets a five-yard run, a three-yard run, and then another three-yard run. First down. Repeat. Repeat. Beat NU's depleted secondary with a play action deep pass.

That would not be fun. Need sound tackling and filling in the gaps. NU can win if Wisconsin tries to pass too much for its own good.

My big fear in watching NU play against big time opponents is that Fitz will be Fitz, stubborn. He will throw out his chest and stick out his chin and try and go toe to toe till we are too far behind and too worn out to do anything about it. I think Fitz thinks we can will our line to out man UW....and our defensive four to will their way into the backfield..So I guess my criticism is that Fitz and staff seldom see things as they are and come up with a creative way to beat teams that may have better performance on both lines....and nope I do not know what that is .....in my head it is all of sudden lining up in a unique formation......maybe two backs in the backfield......sending 7 and going man to man defensively....am I wrong here....is there a game where someone can think of where we were able to out scheme and unsettle an opponent to overcome a more talented team to pull out a victory?
Dinardo thought that we adjusted to help our line by having Thorson run more against BG... what can we do against what appears to be a very sound UW team?

Smoke and mirrors only work for so long. At some point, the o-line will have to block. And against Wisky the d-line better be prepared to man up.

One thing I think is critical to consider is that I believe the Cats' offenses under McCall have been built more on timing and leverage rather than power and speed, while the Wisconsin offenses have been the other way around.
The fiddling around with the O-Line has been excruciating to watch, and they will only have a chance if the "real" O-line is finally ready to go (a phenomenon that started to happen in game 4 last year, but didn't really come to fruition until game 5).
On the other side, this year's Wisconsin team is bringing a higher emphasis on execution than prior years, as evidenced by Hornibrook's growth and success thus far, which makes stopping them more difficult, particularly with a depleted secondary.
Beating the Badgers will require things we haven't seen much of so far this year: execution on the O-line and inspired play from the cornerbacks.

Especially concerned with the line play both sides of the ball. We all know about the OL issues but the DL has not gotten pressure on anybody. And that lack of pressure also puts stress on a depleted DB corp.

Reactions: NUCats
I have a concern about Gin.

Reactions: Fitz51
I feel like I have read more comments than usual about how these teams have seen each other many times and Wisconsin knows what to expect from NU. since we have trouble on the OL and with the DEs and secondary, I think our only hope is surprising them with something new. I have no idea what that might be.
as far as the other topic of this tread, Beefeaters Gin, poured, not shaken, on the rocks splash of dry vermouth, with a sour cocktail onion.

I feel like I have read more comments than usual about how these teams have seen each other many times and Wisconsin knows what to expect from NU. since we have trouble on the OL and with the DEs and secondary, I think our only hope is surprising them with something new. I have no idea what that might be.
as far as the other topic of this tread, Beefeaters Gin, poured, not shaken, on the rocks splash of dry vermouth, with a sour cocktail onion.

I was at the Duke fiasco. As bad as our OL was in that game, NU's DL and linebacker play was worse.

Even with what I consider a weak arm Wisconsin's QB will feast on 7-10 yard cushions our DBs will be forced to give.

I just don't know how NU can overcome these weaknesses this year. I hope I am wrong

I was at the Duke fiasco. As bad as our OL was in that game, NU's DL and linebacker play was worse.

Even with what I consider a weak arm Wisconsin's QB will feast on 7-10 yard cushions our DBs will be forced to give.

I just don't know how NU can overcome these weaknesses this year. I hope I am wrong

You mean the weak-armed Wisconsin QB who completed 18 of 19 against BYU?

Hornibrook definitely doesn't have top-notch arm strength, but has improved leaps and bounds in terms of timing and accuracy based on what I've seen so far this season.

Hornibrook definitely doesn't have top-notch arm strength, but has improved leaps and bounds in terms of timing and accuracy based on what I've seen so far this season.

And you don't need a rifle-armed QB when you have a good running game and can use the play-action stuff to get receivers open.

This will be some people's refrain in every game we stink. "The opponent knew what we were doing because our staff is the same every year".

Bottom line is the team with the best players wins the vast majority of the time, not some trickery created by new and innovative coaches.

Reactions: NJCat
Yes, have you watched him throw ? I don't care if he completed 20/20 , he has a below average arm but with no pressure and 7-10 yard cushions, he may well duplicate those numbers against NU

After following this thread.......the consensus seems to be......drink heavily!!!!!! It is only 8:30 and I have moved from the light roast to the dark roast.....by game time I am probably throwing in a shot of espresso !!!! but what I am really hoping for is drinking heavily after the game,,,in celebration of a Cat win....I may break out the Busch

If we pull off this upset it should rank up there with the 1995 wins vs Michigan and ND, based on how Wiskey is being built up for this game. Go Cats!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT