ADVERTISEMENT

My Over-Simplified Defense Solution

Jonny2TheP

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2007
Des Moines, IA
I don't have the energy to go through all of the different defense/JON threads over the past week. I would guess this was likely said at least a few different times, so excuse me if it was. To me, and I'd be surprised if this doesn't happen, if I'm Fitz I would force JON and the defensive coaching staff to play a much simpler and straight forward defensive scheme against Rutgers and going forward. It doesn't have to be exactly what Hank ran, but more in that vein in the sense that it's a much more straight forward approach with simple assignments and a greater focus on keeping things in front of you and maintaining gap assignments.

I have no illusions that this defense will be good this year, but I am confident we have the personnel to be reasonable. Yes, even after the first five games we've watched, I do believe that. If they can get to average/reasonable level, our offense has enough of a pulse to score some points and we may be able to pick up a couple more wins. But if we try and continue to run the same stuff we have been, it's hard to have any confidence that this defense will improve.

Let's simplify the defense, let our players play more without thinking and try and get a couple more wins to build on for next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News